Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA captain diverts flight, removes pax because of IFE complaints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA captain diverts flight, removes pax because of IFE complaints

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dbuckho
I think there are two different issues. The pilot clearly overreacted with the diversion. I hope UA management deals with it appropriately.
You don't know the pilot overreacted.

Even if parents have brought an alternate form of entertainment it can be hard to ignore the screen right in your face.
Those screens are in the ceiling and are so small they are hardly in anyone's face.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by andrewwm
I'm not defending Alex Cross in particular (it's a pretty bad movie) but my view is that a parent's job is to deal with situations outside of your control like this.

Of course you may not want your young kid watching violent/sexually suggestive movies at a young age. You can control what they watch in the house, but it's a big world out there and they will be exposed to it.

As a role model, you can either make a huge fuss on the plane demanding that they turn off the movie for the entire plane and get yourself kicked off the plane, or you can do actual parenting and calmly try to help them make sense of it.

happens in the real world. I think catching snippets of a violent movie is hardly the worst thing that can happen to a kid. That said, I'm not going to show my kids hard core R rated movies, but this mentality that they must be protected at all costs is IMHO actually more harmful and makes a worse role model.
I don't disagree with you at all, and I'm not saying that the correct reaction is making a huge stink on board an airplane (which, in this case may or may not have happened -- who knows...)

What I'm criticizing is this: I can't think of a good reason for United to play this particular movie over the overhead screens. Doing so intentionally exposes all passengers on the aircraft to this material.

If I get into a situation where my child witnesses something I don't necessarily want them to see, I do my best to minimize the exposure (internally) and talk through what they saw. However, if I'm paying someone to transport me from A to B, I expect that they will not put me in a situation where I feel the need to go through those exercises with my children due to their selection of movie content.

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Because it is rated PG-13, was probably edited down from that, and you have to have an objective standard.
That's not a good reason to show this movie. That's a defense for doing so.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 2, 2013 at 11:21 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by GBadger
The movie is PG-13 and UA has further edited it. I have 3 little ones, and I travel with books or some other form of entertainment. I see no issue with UA showing this movie. What would you like them to show? There is more violence on Regular TV.

This is what's wrong. You can't please everyone, and I'm sure showing Alex Cross pleased more people than insulting. A step below PG-13 is PG. Would you like UA to show cartoons all day? I've seen more violence in CSI than what I've seen in the edited version of Alex Cross.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I have yet to see you propose an objective standard that will please everyone.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:05 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Kids will watch what they want to watch, but the odds are good that if you ask them to not watch one thing and instead watch another -- the one that you ask them to not pay attention to is the one that they're going to fixate on.
So provide them with their own entertainment and something they want to watch, and don't even mention what's on the monitors.

I'm sure UA could have found a better film to show... but they're never going to please everybody. As many times as I was subjected to Mamma Mia! on UA a few years ago, I was ready to start some in-flight violence.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: General member, former 1P
Briefly: PG-13 is a fairly low bar. SVU, in the same vein, makes it through Standards & Practices at NBC but is loaded with violence and sexual degradation. Would I want Master Flavorflav (age 5) watching SVU? No. Is it ever on when he is around? No. Does he know about death? Yes. He's learned about it from his parents, not from Stabler and Benson or from a backoffice drone who picks movies for United.

And while I appreciate the "helpful" parenting advice to take a movie depicting the systematic torture and murder of women and use it as a teachable moment because "stuff happens in the real world," a confined space on an airplane isn't the place, and a film based on a novel isn't the curriculum.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by andrewwm
Carefully researched? He's just passing along an email an anonymous reader sent him. Not to say he'd post anything he knew to be false, but I doubt the fact checking went any further than just reading the email and posting it.
He clearly contacted the people involved, knew their names and where they lived and researched the UA rosters to find out the pilot's name. He did not simply pass along an anonymous email.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by flavorflav
Briefly: PG-13 is a fairly low bar. SVU, in the same vein, makes it through Standards & Practices at NBC but is loaded with violence and sexual degradation. Would I want Master Flavorflav (age 5) watching SVU? No. Is it ever on when he is around? No. Does he know about death? Yes. He's learned about it from his parents, not from Stabler and Benson or from a backoffice drone who picks movies for United.

And while I appreciate the "helpful" parenting advice to take a movie depicting the systematic torture and murder of women and use it as a teachable moment because "stuff happens in the real world," a confined space on an airplane isn't the place, and a film based on a novel isn't the curriculum.
If you are that concerned, pick a plane that doesn't have overhead screens or take a bus. Why should 90% of the passengers be inconvinienced because of you and your kids?
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Wow... this thread...

Isn't the real issue the fact that the family, who it seems was not a danger to the flight, was removed from the plane? Shouldn't this happen ONLY when a pax represents a danger to the plane and other pax?

Seems to me several pax were inconvenienced for something that was a no-issue?
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: United silver, American Platinum, Marriott platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz gold, Avis First
From my perspective, it's not necessarily about the choice of movie, it's about the diversion.

Passenger has an issue with the movie being shown and asks for it to be turned off. FA says can't disenfranchise pax around the family. Pax speak up and say we're good with turning it off. At this point, we have a customer service opportunity - work with the pax, provide options, discuss solutions, or stomp down on them.

Family doesn't get the response they want, so they attempt to escalate. PERHAPS they make a big issue about it, rant, rave, etc. Or perhaps not.

From the captain's perspective, what would justify a security diversion based on a family complaining about the movie? If the family was rude and insensitive to the flight attendant, deal with the family. If the family charged the cockpit, restrain the family. NOTE: since there wasn't any action by LEOs, I doubt it was that serious.

I'm a dad, and my kids are in elementary and middle school. From that perspective, I'm not worried about making the world safe for my precious little snowflakes, but if there's something easy someone can do, or if I think there's something easy, I ask. If I'm told no, I look for the why behind it so I can understand better what I'm asking. I try to solve a problem and work with the folks to solve the problem.

In no way would I expect that I'd be considered a security threat because I'm trying to solve a problem - even if they end up trying to convince by volume rather than logic. And I do security for a living. This captain generated a pretty big false positive, and wasted significant amounts of LEO dollars for something that clearly wasn't a threat.

Programs: General member, former 1P
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I have yet to see you propose an objective standard that will please everyone.
This is my last post before I go pop the popcorn - this is going to be a long day. But surely UA, knowing they are serving a plane full of people with a wide variety of ages, tastes and social mores, has their own internal "objective standards" above and beyond merely looking at the MPAA rating.

"Common sense" is an often-overlooked tool that works better than "an objective standard to please everyone." If I am inviting 150 random strangers (little kids, old ladies, Jewish, Christian, Republican, Democrat, etc.) to my house to show them a movie, I would consciously select a movie that avoided themes of sex and violence because those themes often upset people. That doesn't mean I show "Shrek." "Moonrise Kingdom" and "Man on a Ledge" are two 2012 movies that come to mind as substantial films that avoid sex and violence as themes but still are movies for adults - not cartoons for kids.

And if someone complained afterwards that I was showing inoffensive pap ("Bill Murray hasn't been any good since 'Caddyshack!'") then I would still sleep soundly.

There is a happy medium between "Toy Story 2" and "Seven." "Alex Cross" ain't it.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I'd like to hear the story from the FA and Captain.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If none of the other passengers that were viewing on that screen minded why didn't they just tape a pice of paper over the screen when it was deemed unable to be turned off/raised infdividually.

Last edited by Baze; Apr 2, 2013 at 10:32 am Reason: fixed typo
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
This is what's wrong. You can't please everyone, and I'm sure showing Alex Cross pleased more people than insulting. A step below PG-13 is PG. Would you like UA to show cartoons all day? I've seen more violence in CSI than what I've seen in the edited version of Alex Cross.
Lots of people hiding behind the "It's PG-13" defense.

For the record:
- I don't want UA to show cartoons all day
- I don't object to UA showing PG-13 movies (Iron Man, Pirates of the Caribbean, Harry Potter, Avatar, Titanic, Spider Man, Twister, Sherlock Holmes, Mission Impossible, Lincoln -- even the Bourne movies -- all examples of PG-13 movies that I have no problems with UA showing publicly on an airplane...)
- There are even R rated movies that I wouldn't have any problem with UA showing to the plane (Argo, the King's Speech come to mind, but there are certainly others).
- I don't watch TV, so I can't say much about whether "regular TV" is more violent or not

It's not about the rating -- the fact of the matter is that there are some movies that are substantially more violent than others (PG, PG-13, R or otherwise) -- this is one of those movies.

Originally Posted by flavorflav
This is my last post before I go pop the popcorn - this is going to be a long day. But surely UA, knowing they are serving a plane full of people with a wide variety of ages, tastes and social mores, has their own internal "objective standards" above and beyond merely looking at the MPAA rating.

"Common sense" is an often-overlooked tool that works better than "an objective standard to please everyone." If I am inviting 150 random strangers (little kids, old ladies, Jewish, Christian, Republican, Democrat, etc.) to my house to show them a movie, I would consciously select a movie that avoided themes of sex and violence because those themes often upset people. That doesn't mean I show "Shrek." "Moonrise Kingdom" and "Man on a Ledge" are two 2012 movies that come to mind as substantial films that avoid sex and violence as themes but still are movies for adults - not cartoons for kids.

And if someone complained afterwards that I was showing inoffensive pap ("Bill Murray hasn't been any good since 'Caddyshack!'") then I would still sleep soundly.

There is a happy medium between "Toy Story 2" and "Seven." "Alex Cross" ain't it.
Yeah boyyyyy!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 2, 2013 at 11:19 am Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.