Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Wooglin
UA waiving four segment requirement for non-U.S. residents (in 2021 for 2022 status) expired

UA Premier four (4) segment rule
To be eligible to qualify for any Premier level, you must fly a minimum of four paid flight segments on flights operated by United and/or United Express during a calendar year.
  • Four (4) paid or award (not award) flight segments operated by UA/UX (Award tickets qualify as of 2023)
  • Flight segment needs to be credited to UA MP to qualify
  • Codeshares operated by UA qualify
  • Codeshares operated by other airlines / partners do not qualify
  • Can be on any ticket stock (do not need to be sold by UA)
  • Basic Economy (N) fares do not now count (regardless of elite status) (BE segments now qualified -- starting Dec 2018)
  • A flight segment is each flight between two airports as purchased (direct flights -single flight number with a stop - that credits as 1 PQF, counts as one segment)
  • Original Routing Credit, when applicable, can be used
  • The requirement is waived for Chase MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card or a Chase United MileagePlus Club Card primary credit card holders ceased in 2020
  • Not required for Lifetime status (aka Million Miler status)

Related thread: Hitting the 4 UA Metal Segment Requirement - how to find cheapest option?

Print Wikipost

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Alaska MVP Gold, AF Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum

Does anyone know if the 4 flights to qualify for elite need can be codeshare or really need to be operated by United ?

Last edited by goalie; Sep 29, 2016 at 10:53 am Reason: changed post title after thread title change
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Needs to be operated by United or Copa.

"Also, beginning January 1, 2012, to qualify for any Premier level, members must fly at least four paid flights operated by United or Copa during a calendar year."

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/qualify.aspx
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I've been meaning to ask this - are MMers exempt from the 4 segment rule? The asterisk on mentions being exempt if you have a credit card, but not if you have lifetime status.

You'd think "lifetime status" would override the 4 annual segments, but who knows these days...
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I've been meaning to ask this - are MMers exempt from the 4 segment rule? The asterisk on mentions being exempt if you have a credit card, but not if you have lifetime status.

You'd think "lifetime status" would override the 4 annual segments, but who knows these days...
Why would you think that? What has a MMer who doesn't fly UA metal done for UA lately?

Whereas the credit card holder is delivering revenue to UA.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
It is 4 segments or 4 tickets?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
It is 4 segments or 4 tickets?
4 Flights / segments to qualify for any status.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mre5765
Why would you think that? What has a MMer who doesn't fly UA metal done for UA lately?

Whereas the credit card holder is delivering revenue to UA.
Because it's lifetime status. You also don't need to fly the 50,000/year, so why would you need the 4 segments? In other words, why wouldn't you think that? Unless you mean for a lifetime gold to earn platinum or 1K status, but if so, that's not clear from your post.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by gwar69
Because it's lifetime status. You also don't need to fly the 50,000/year, so why would you need the 4 segments? In other words, why wouldn't you think that? Unless you mean for a lifetime gold to earn platinum or 1K status, but if so, that's not clear from your post.
I think he was being sarcastic. But with the new UA, you never know how close to the truth some sarcasm might be.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The MM designation is a earned lifetime benefit. There are no further flying requirements. It in itself is NOT a premier status level (ie you won't see MM status as a criteria for upgrades) , but the designation as MM gets you the associated Gold (or Platinum Status) unless you exceed the flying requirements for those levels at which you would get the superceding level through the next year. The 4 segment requirement is to achieve status by current flying (and minimum segments).
Old Oct 9, 2012, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jadenus
I think he was being sarcastic. But with the new UA, you never know how close to the truth some sarcasm might be.
Most definitely! I had the same reaction

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The MM designation is a earned lifetime benefit. There are no further flying requirements. It in itself is NOT a premier status level (ie you won't see MM status as a criteria for upgrades) , but the designation as MM gets you the associated Gold (or Platinum Status) unless you exceed the flying requirements for those levels at which you would get the superceding level through the next year. The 4 segment requirement is to achieve status by current flying (and minimum segments).
Very well put - this is what I'm thinking too (and what most people would think as well) - you just never know however with the floating/changing definition of "lifetime" these days.

Now with my FIL for example - he's a 2MM (so lifetime Plat), but if I hadn't remembered about this 4 segment rule, I would have kept his UA ticket in Dec as an award vs. paid. He would have been over 100K w/o it, but I'm guessing that wouldn't have qualified him for 1K...would have only had his Plat status.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: Miles and More, United Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles, Air France Flying Blue
Minimum of 4 United flights for Premier Status

Hi,

I am a Premier Silver member and I read that now I'll need at least 4 United flights to re-qualify.

I would like to know if United flight numbers operated by partner airlines count towards the 4 flights?

Thanks.

Philippe
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by philie
Hi,

I am a Premier Silver member and I read that now I'll need at least 4 United flights to re-qualify.

I would like to know if United flight numbers operated by partner airlines count towards the 4 flights?

Thanks.

Philippe
No has to be in UA or UAX metal (buses included with the latter)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:06 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
No has to be in UA or UAX metal.
IIRC, Copa also counts, but that's it.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by exerda
IIRC, Copa also counts, but that's it.
Indeed.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: Miles and More, United Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles, Air France Flying Blue
Thanks for your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.