Wiki Posts
Search

AA New Website So Much Better than UA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by musing

Of course, I'd take the pmUA .bomb, if it only worked all the time.

OT, I like the new AA logo, the livery on the other hand .
I also like the pmUA website visual.

I agree with you on the AA logo and livery! Cool new logo, but I don't quite get the livery.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:00 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I want to put in
  • where I want to fly from
  • where I want to fly to
  • when I want to fly

Then I want to
  • See the flight choices
  • pick one
  • pay for it
  • get a ticket number

I really don't care what font they use, what colors they use, or is some may call it dated.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bmr12
UA has much more fundamental IT issues to address. Too many stories here of issues which all look to me to be the signs of a very brittle, poorly tested pile of software.

Here are some IT issues I've read about here in the past few weeks that I can recollect straight from memory:
  • Having to stop posting miles for several days because of unexplained issues
  • Two years in a row of many people getting the "wrong" higher status for several days at the turn of the year
  • Changing and missing and inexplicable seat assignment snafus
  • Running promotions, awarding miles, and then clawing them back because the wrong number was posted
  • The infamous 4-miles to HKG in GlobalFirst debacle
  • Being unable to print out an acceptable boarding pass
  • Stuck CPU processing (was this ever working properly? Will it ever? Will UA ever come clean?)
  • Numerous reports of issues actually ticketing award travel on partner airlines, and then not owning the problem

A new web site would be the classic example of lipstick on a pig.

They may own SHARES and avoid paying any royalties to anyone for something better, and think it saves them money, but I really do wonder. The bug fix costs must be enormous, and the hundreds of additional call center staff to field the complaints ain't free either.
I see no need to post an itemized response because bmr12 has done it perfectly. The visual aspects of the site don't bother me nearly as much as the foundation technology.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cordelli
I want to put in
  • where I want to fly from
  • where I want to fly to
  • when I want to fly

Then I want to
  • See the flight choices
  • pick one
  • pay for it
  • get a ticket number

I really don't care what font they use, what colors they use, or is some may call it dated.
Yeah. This. I'd actually appreciate a more minimalist approach. I certainly don't go to an airline website to be "inspired". Sheesh!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Agreed @elCheapoDeluxe and @bmr12. So United has two things going against them. A poorly looking site plus the backend system that fails regularly.

I think sometimes management really are too short sighted on business spending. Yes, SHARES might be dirt cheap, but the technology is unable to support the system. I've been a victim of the screwy system where the gate agent basically gave up as much as they tried to help.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:33 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I tried using the new AA website and I couldn't even use a simple function like sort by price. There are plenty of complaints over on the AA forum so it isn't all great.
It works very well, and if you look at it the AA site automatically sorts by price! The only way the CO site let's you sort by price is by using Kayak (or similar)!!

As pointed out the United sit is ugly and dysfunctional! I have no idea if this is a SHARES problem, but it is a mess. Other airlines are moving forward while Jeff's doesn't, except for the 787...
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Just searched a few regular route on aa. Things worked fine. They work fine on UA as well.

I couldn't care less about goofy window dressings like websites. UA.com functions fine. Who cares. There are bigger fish to fry.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Hadrian35
I couldn't care less about goofy window dressings like websites. UA.com functions fine..
It doesn't offer miles and cash awards

It doesn't issue tickets instantly

PMUA.com did both. Huge losses, especially miles+cash awards

Award search is better obviously now.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
It doesn't offer miles and cash awards

It doesn't issue tickets instantly

PMUA.com did both. Huge losses, especially miles+cash awards
ooh, ooh - and another: ua.sux hides the overall fare class (e.g. NA21ERD1 or OA14OQU) so when mitchmu tries to get SFO agents to honor the ticket he bought, they say "dunno what fare you are".

On topic, aa.com still looks/works about the same as it did before. ua.sux can't ever forget what last search you ran. or forget what date(s). maybe a "new search button" to clear + ita matrix's "recent" would be an immense improvement.

David
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:17 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by musing
Not bad, the design of the AA site is much better than United.com, but functionality is a problem...can't sort by price, you've got to be kidding.

Of course, I'd take the pmUA .bomb, if it only worked all the time.

OT, I like the new AA logo, the livery on the other hand .
did you bother trying the web site? You are just flat out wrong re "can't sort by price" it gives you a nice grid, shows the prices for each flight and the restriction options and an easy toggle.

I've not explored rewards, but the booking engine is 500x better than CO.com
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
I can't stand AA.com ... I find it so frustrating that I actively avoid using it at every opportunity I can.

Things United.com can do that AA.com can't:
- Partner award searches (at least for more than a small handful of partners)
- Request an upgrade using a SWU
- Change international flights
- Change flights issued by a TA
- Change award flights that I've purchased for someone else
- Present data in a readable format ...

United isn't going to win any design awards on the site, but it's functional, the data is easy to access (rather than hidden beneath 3 menu options like on AA.com), and it works well for about 95% of the functions that I need to access it for. I find myself having to call AA far more often than I have to call UA ... the vast majority of the time, I can take care of the UA-related issues myself. (Having said that, the phone call is far more pleasant to AA, but that's another issue all-together.)

I'll be probably re-qualify for both UA 1K and AA EXP this year, and give me united.com any day over aa.com.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
did you bother trying the web site? You are just flat out wrong re "can't sort by price" it gives you a nice grid, shows the prices for each flight and the restriction options and an easy toggle.
Are you referring to the same AA.com the rest of us are? I just ran a simple search to reverify previous results I've found there:

• Lowest fare was 5th option down
• Next lowest fare was on the 3rd page of results

No option to sort results by price.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
While I haven't tried a complex routing, for a simple round trip, the AA grid results are great from cheapest to most expensive. Even if you want an economy fare it will give you the F fares as well. Recently booked a short haul AA F that was half the price of UA Economy fare...Md route vs UAX.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA
It works very well, and if you look at it the AA site automatically sorts by price! The only way the CO site let's you sort by price is by using Kayak (or similar)!!...
Are you sure you are using the same AA.com as the rest of us? My experience is the same as Aerowesty's:

Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Are you referring to the same AA.com the rest of us are? I just ran a simple search to reverify previous results I've found there:

• Lowest fare was 5th option down
• Next lowest fare was on the 3rd page of results

No option to sort results by price.
Look at the thread over @ AA forum regarding issues with the site (specifically at the number of complaints regarding trying to sort by price):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:17 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
I rarely use the wired websites, but if you want to compare mobile tools, I make my AA flying coworkers jealous all day long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.