Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA New Website So Much Better than UA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JC5280
I rarely use the wired websites, but if you want to compare mobile tools, I make my AA flying coworkers jealous all day long.
I use both, but my DL flying coworkers were impressed by the UA app, which I use a lot.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:54 pm

I think you'll agree that the DL and New AA websites are much fancier than UA.com. But I would prefer .bomb any day when I spent 30 minutes navigating the DL website just for the eligibility for skyteam elite plus to access the DL SkyClub.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I disagree. The UA site is the best. And I preferred the old AA site over the new one.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I tried to check out AA's website and my computer crashed ... so going to say no, UA is better. For starters it doesn't make my computer crash, it's more functional/user friendly. And on a side not, I really don't like AA's new look.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Coming from PMUA, I am very pleased with the new UA nee old CO website. It is very functional and does way more things like multi-city itineraries, award searches and bookings, and especially flight changes and viewing seat maps, upgrade lists, and "where is my aircraft coming from?". I could not care less how fugly it is or whether the backend is powered by SHARES. PMUA's website was quite elegant on appearance, but it was crap in terms of functionality.

When the new UA website rolls out later this year, I hope style won't come at the expense of substance.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:59 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Haven't checked out the new AA site yet. I can tell you that UA is much better than US, and the monstrosity that DL unleashed a couple of months ago.
Completely agree.
They fix what is not broken (reminds me of craz tagline - If it aint Broken, I'll Fix it)
and
never fix what is broken!
Originally Posted by craz
\
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Are you sure you are using the same AA.com as the rest of us? My experience is the same as Aerowesty's:
[/url]
Seems like you guys are the only ones that see it that way. I just searched 3 different itins and it listed lowest... to highest in order. I do not fly AA, so won't be using it, but I wish the CO site did that. The CO/ua site BLOCKS the cheapest options. Check it out...
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
I think the philosophical debate here is really between simplicity vs complexity.

When Google first came out, it looks very empty compared to the market leader such as Yahoo, Alta Visa, Lycos (anyone still remember the latters?). However Google became the dominant because it gave people what they wanted.

Similarly with iPad, people with netbooks basically said iPads are junk. However iPad is now even replacing PCs despite PCs being 10 times more functional.

There's enormous data especially on a website where company can trace exactly what people are trying to do. It becomes a mathematical statistics on making the right prioritization in terms of navigation and looks.

Clearing up some of the unnecessary clutter will help drive usability. I would argue the major functions that most people want can be performed both on AA and UA, except AA is much cleaner and appealing.

It does matter how a website looks but the key is also being able to make it both simple and functional for majority of the people.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA
I just searched 3 different itins and it listed lowest... to highest in order.
Next time you see that, post a snapshot or the time/date/route so we can replicate it. In the AA forum thread, not a single person has a sort by price feature. You must be the lucky one!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:55 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Prez; Former UA GS
The old UA website was better

The current United website is perfectly reflective of what's happened to United Airlines-- it's been taken over by Continental, which had awful branding and a late 90s style website.

American actually has a new logo that was professionally designed. It actually looks like someone put some thought into their rebranding.

You haven't seen progress with regards to service, boarding procedures, benefits-- so why get your hopes up that they'll unveil a beautiful new website that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy?

Originally Posted by phatom701
Not quite sure why it's taken a long time for United to roll out a sleek, modern website. The current website is just awful and uninspiring. I would venture to say it's probably the worst compared to the other large legacy airlines in the USA.

AA was able to get theirs done very quickly. This is probably their second redo in the span of three years. This new look is very good.

Does United have a timeframe on when they are rolling out a website that can out do all the other guys?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:59 pm

I believe that UA is supposed to overhaul the website in the next year or two; I think this was mentioned in an interview somewhere. Anyways I think the United Hub website (where they house all their information and news and stuff) gives a general indication of how a future united.com redesign would look like.

https://hub.united.com/en-us/Pages/default.aspx
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by agarc
... American actually has a new logo that was professionally designed. It actually looks like someone put some thought into their rebranding.

You haven't seen progress with regards to service, boarding procedures, benefits-- so why get your hopes up that they'll unveil a beautiful new website that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy?

Change flights and reissue ticket (including different routing) - Old UA website: NO/New UA website: YES
Mobile BP on the smartphone - Old UA: NO/New UA: YES
Booking and ticketing partner awards - Old UA: NO/New UA: YES
Viewing upgrade list - Old UA: NO/New UA: YES
Viewing seat map at anytime - Old UA: NO/New UA: YES
Knowing where the flight's aircraft is coming from and its current position - Old UA: NO/New UA: YES

Rebranding with a new logo is nice and all, and perhaps you don't find the above things important or useful. However, it's 2013, and many of us appreciate the ability to have those information virtually at our fingertips.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
BTW, UA website is far from functional. This is one of the latest posts on this site that shows UA website is no better than others.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ch-engine.html
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by musing
Not bad, the design of the AA site is much better than United.com, but functionality is a problem...can't sort by price, you've got to be kidding.

Of course, I'd take the pmUA .bomb, if it only worked all the time.

OT, I like the new AA logo, the livery on the other hand .
Originally Posted by spin88
did you bother trying the web site? You are just flat out wrong re "can't sort by price" it gives you a nice grid, shows the prices for each flight and the restriction options and an easy toggle.

I've not explored rewards, but the booking engine is 500x better than CO.com
Yes, I did do a booking on the site and it does give you a nice grid, but if you are finding someway to sort by price, I'm sure not seeing it.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Any website that can't take a two-digit entry for the year is crap IMO. The new AA and the new Delta both can't take them. In fact, Delta doesn't clear the field but throws an error. AA.com just clears the field.

At least United.com still allows this I'll keep the current UA.com.

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.