Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Launches Satellite-Based Wi-Fi Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gengar
Wifi Completion Status (Last Updated: 1/16/2015)
United Wi-Fi installation

Mainland USA
  • B737 - 187/253 Complete (74%)
  • B757 - 26/133 Complete (20%)

Worldwide Coverage
  • A319 - 55/55 Complete (100%)
  • A320 - 97/97 Complete (100%)
  • B747 - 24/24 Complete (100%)
  • B767 - 2/51 Complete (4%)
  • B777 - 42/74 Complete (57%)
  • B787 - 3/14 Complete (21%)

Worldwide Coverage Area
Satellite coverage may experience outages for reasons such as government regulations, weather and switching between satellite regions.

Gogo (PS Flights) Coverage Area

Pricing Data Points
City Pair / ~ Duration / Standard Cost / Premium Cost / Comments on Quality
747-400 (Panasonic):
  • SFO-FRA / 10 hrs / ?? / $22.99 / (5/2013) Peak speed was 6.5Mbps down, 2Mbps up. 700ms latency. awesome. (unavaca)
  • HNL-NRT / 8 hrs / $14.99 / $22.99 / The service worked all the way across the pacific, I was surprised at how reliable it was. The speediest I did topped out at .26mb, hardly "premium", but if you're ok with general web browsing and chatting with iMessage, it worked like a champ.
  • LAX-SYD / 14 hrs / $16.99 / No premium options. (Col Ronson) 3Mbps download speed test, worked for 95% of flight
  • SFO-HKG / 15 hrs / $16.99 / No premium option / (1/2014) (unavaca) speedtest immediately after wi-fi was available gave 700ms, 7Mbit down, 0.5Mbit up
  • BKK-NRT / 5 hr / $16.99 / No premium option / (SS255)
  • PEK-SFO / 11 hr / $16.99 / No premium option / Net access kept going down over the Pacific / Ookla speedtest 3.09 Mbps down, 0.23 Mbps up, 894ms RTT.

A319/A320 (Panasonic):
  • EWR-SFO / 6 hrs / $12.99 / $19.99 (IIRC)
  • EWR-SFO / 6 hrs / $14.99 / no premium option (3/2014) (greg99) speedtest 2498kbps d/l and an awesome 95kbps u/l (not a typo) 578ms latency
  • SFO-PHL / ~5.5 hrs / $14.99 / no premium option (4/2014) (qisu) didn't do speed test. good part of the flight had slow speed or no connection at all.
  • PHL-SFO / 6 hrs / $12.99 / no premium option (4/2014) (qisu) speedtest 2-3megabits down.
  • PHL-IAH / 4 hrs / $9.99 / $12.99 (IIRC, standard may have been $7.99?)
  • PHL-IAH / 3 hrs / $6.99 / no premium option [10/2013]
  • ORD-LAS / 3.5 hrs / $7.99 / No premium option. (lenscap)
  • ORD-SEA / 4 hrs / $9.99 / No premium option. (qisu)
  • ORD-LAX / 4 hrs / $8.99 / No premium option / speedtest peak 3mbps, average 600kbps to 1.5mbps
  • ORD-YVR / 4 hrs / $8.99 / No premium option / speedtest 3.86 Mbps to 10.70 Mbps down / 0.18 to 0.37 Mbps up - very reliable throughout the flight
  • IAD-LAX / 5 hrs / $12.99 / No premium option / speedtest peak 1.5mbps, average 400kbps to 800kbps, worked for 80% of flight but pretty spotty at times, but at least FA announced signal was poor
  • IAD-SEA / 5 hrs / $12.99 / No premium option / A319
  • SFO-LAX / 1 hr / $3.99 / No premium option / A319 (greg99)
  • SFO-ORD / 4 hr / $9.99 / No premium option / A320 / Pretty reliable, up most of the flight
  • IAH-SEA / 4.5 hrs / $8.99 / no premium option A320 (6/2014) (qisu) speedtest 5megabits down, 0.2 megabits up.

City Pair / ~ Duration / Standard or Limited Access Cost / Premium or Full Access Cost / Comments on Quality
737s (Thales LiveTV): [prices are per-hour]
  • IAH-TPA / ?? / $1 / $2 / (2/2014) (ssullivan) 23-25Mbps downstream (Premium/full access service). No service over Gulf of Mexico.
  • MIA-EWR / 2 hr / $1 / $2 / (3/2014) (hirohito888) 16Mbps down, 1Mbps up [not sure if this is for the regular or full access]
  • PDX-IAH / 4 hr / $1 / $2 / (4/2014) (qisu) regular was very slow, speed test about 100kilobits down.
  • SEA-IAH / 4 hr / $1 / $2 / (5/2014) (edcho) full access was speedy. 22 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up. Ping was 700ms.
  • SEA-IAH / 4 hr / $1 / $2 / (6/2014) (qisu) full access, 5-15 Mbps down, 0.2 Mbps up.
Print Wikipost

United Launches Satellite-Based Wi-Fi Service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Non Alcoholic Vodka
how fast is the download and upload speeds on TPAC 744s?

Will I be able to use my Macbook Pro to stream video from my home computer server?(home connection is 107mbps down and 107mbps up)
Ummm, no. Not to mention that streaming video -- except for UA's onboard BYOD video, obviously -- is against the terms of service.

In my experience a few months ago NRT>ORD, I saw a max of roughly 3 mbps downstream, and significantly less upstream.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Saw this today - a sobering reality of UA's position...

Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Saw this today - a sobering reality of UA's position...

According to this link United has WIFI installed on 444 airplanes out of 700 in the fleet. So you chart is clearly badly out of date.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../default.aspx?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by planemechanic
According to this link United has WIFI installed on 444 airplanes out of 700 in the fleet. So you chart is clearly badly out of date.

To be fair, the percentage of aircraft with wifi isn't one of the stats explicitly tracked by the graph. United could be ramping up wifi but still be hobbled by the fact that many of its long transatlantic routes don't offer it, thereby reducing the percentage of flight miles with wifi.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Here's another data point:
MUC-IAH 764 $16.99, but I found the connectivity signal not as strong and fast as WiFi on 747 or 777.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P

It's not my chart it was in article I read today - and it IS correct if you consider that UEX is part of UA - UA figures that you reference are mainline only I believe...
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

how fast is the download and upload speeds on TPAC 744s?
Generally ~3.5-5mbit down and ~0.5 mbit up.
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
It's not my chart it was in article I read today - and it IS correct if you consider that UEX is part of UA - UA figures that you reference are mainline only I believe...
The chart includes regional flying as well. I am a bit surprised at the way the data shows there, especially given UA's MUCH higher coverage on international flights than the other carriers. I've got a meeting tomorrow morning with the guys who put that data together and plan to ask about it then.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eric Westby
To be fair, the percentage of aircraft with wifi isn't one of the stats explicitly tracked by the graph. United could be ramping up wifi but still be hobbled by the fact that many of its long transatlantic routes don't offer it, thereby reducing the percentage of flight miles with wifi.
I seriously doubt that the 70% of their aircraft with WIFI installed only fly 30% of the miles flown. The chart is simply out of date.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:52 pm

I seriously doubt that the 70% of their aircraft with WIFI installed only fly 30% of the miles flown. The chart is simply out of date.
Check post #557: it may also be a result of whether or not United Express aircraft are included.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:10 pm

Ummm, no. Not to mention that streaming video -- except for UA's onboard BYOD video, obviously -- is against the terms of service.

In my experience a few months ago NRT>ORD, I saw a max of roughly 3 mbps downstream, and significantly less upstream.
ooops... I forgot about the video streaming ban.

on my smartphone(Galaxy Note 4), I use about 800 to 900GB per month, but that's only because I still have UDP from Verizon. Guess there is no way to pick up Verizon signal on planes half way across the Pacific.(if it's legal to begin with)
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:47 am

Guess there is no way to pick up Verizon signal on planes half way across the Pacific.(if it's legal to begin with)
Passengers are never permitted to turn their phones' cellular radios on while in flight, except perhaps in the most extraordinary life or death circumstances.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:13 am

Passengers are never permitted to turn their phones' cellular radios on while in flight, except perhaps in the most extraordinary life or death circumstances.
Until they start collecting and turning of passenger cellphones we can all assume it's a lot of hot air though. I bet most people think they have to turn off airplane mode to get wifi back and turn it back on during the flight.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....Guess there is no way to pick up Verizon signal on planes half way across the Pacific.(if it's legal to begin with)
Under most terrestrial circumstances, you need to be within 20 miles (35 kms) of a cell tower to establish a link, so the TAPC is inherently a no go (unless the aircraft has a cellular repeater). And even while over a land mass with cell towers but at 7 miles up and moving at >500 mph, there is not going to be reliable connections for multiple technical reasons (handoffs will fail, cell tower radiation pattern is horizontally focused, ...). At best an occasional short-term connection might happen. So even if the FAA and FCC lift their separate bans of cell phone in-flight operation, cell tower to in-flight aircraft will not be a option for the present systems -- hence the airlines have a very viable auxiliary revenue opportunity to offer on-aircraft wifi or cellular repeaters.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
ooops... I forgot about the video streaming ban.

on my smartphone(Galaxy Note 4), I use about 800 to 900GB per month, but that's only because I still have UDP from Verizon. Guess there is no way to pick up Verizon signal on planes half way across the Pacific.(if it's legal to begin with)
800-900 gigabytes?! Are you sure you don't have an extra 0 on there?

What on earth do you do on your phone? I watch a TON of Netflix over cellular data on my phone and and it's hard for me to get past 20GB per month even if I'm actively trying.

Unless you're tethering your computer and torrenting 200 1080p movies each month, I can't possibly see how you can use that much data, and if you are, I'm shocked Verizon still lets you be their customer.

80-90GB would be more believable, if still a bit excessive. (And I say that as someone who despises data caps and believes that most data charges simply exist to create artificial scarcity and an extra revenue stream.)

--

On a separate note, has UA announced anything about retrofitting the P.S. 752s with satellite wifi instead of Gogo? I despise Gogo--their service is abysmally slow, it's way too expensive, and they're (IMHO) a slimy company--they charge more than double if you forget to buy your flight pass on the ground and buy it in the air.

The one thing Gogo has going for them is real-time chat service, which has helped solve a few sticky glitches (purchased a pass but then can't log in again or switch devices or whatever)--that's something that UA lags at, since the only recourse if that happens is to buy it again and then request a refund after the flight (and one time, I couldn't even do that, because it remembered that I had bought one and wouldn't let me buy another one, even if I logged out). But overall, UA's implementation is much faster and much more reasonably priced.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jackal
.... On a separate note, has UA announced anything about retrofitting the P.S. 752s with satellite wifi instead of Gogo? ... .
heard nothing about PS change -- but UA is expanding it's Gogo relationship, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lying-uax.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.