Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IRROPS policies for UA customers: 2013 and beyond.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2014, 10:33 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by CO DCA
So I'll give my anecdotal experience: on a recent delay (two weeks prior), I was accommodated on AA as a result of a significant mechanical delay leading to a misconnect. I had an "R" fare that they upped to a "Y" fare when I was reaccomodated on AA.

I handled the delay / reaccomodation through the 1K line. I also experienced some of the problems that tend to happen when these things occur: the 1K desk had to sit on hold with AA for half an hour to get the change; the "push" or "pull" of my reservation to AA got screwed up (don't know where to point the finger here: I had an AA confirmation number and my name showed up on the error message printed out at the AA kiosk, but my UA reservation still partially remained with UA); and there was a significant SNAFU when the system picked up on my misconnect, but my flight hadn't been totally pushed from UA to AA (see prior problem, and the agents were locked out of my reservation for a hour).

All said, I did get a flight on AA, and it was offered with out begging, conditioning or trying to put me on a UA flight that didn't meet my needs. I didn't ask for hotel, etc since I get that on my credit card, and I wasn't about to stand in line for an hour and argue with the gate agents about it.
Thanks CO DCA for relating your experience. So UA got you booked on an AA flight the next day and you got your own hotel. Too bad about the misconnect between the 1K line and AA that cost you extra time.

I wonder if anyone has a suggestion about how to expedite this process in the future? Could CO DCA have done anything at the airport to expedite the booking on AA?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by mkr
Thanks CO DCA for relating your experience. So UA got you booked on an AA flight the next day and you got your own hotel. Too bad about the misconnect between the 1K line and AA that cost you extra time.

I wonder if anyone has a suggestion about how to expedite this process in the future? Could CO DCA have done anything at the airport to expedite the booking on AA?

It's a function of SHARES. I've had botched rebookings from UA to DL, AA. Never experienced anything of the sort pre-SHARES.

Some of these botched rebookings were done by seasoned CO agents.

Always have the reissued ticket number on you after the reissue. Every now and then it's not a botched rebooking, but the OAL just can't see the ticket. If you give it to them manually, they can pull it.

But most of the time, it's something they did wrong in CO's systems.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:31 am
Suspended

I still am not clear on 1k wx policy for hotels. ?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
So I'll give my anecdotal experience: on a recent delay (two weeks prior), I was accommodated on AA as a result of a significant mechanical delay leading to a misconnect. I had an "R" fare that they upped to a "Y" fare when I was reaccomodated on AA.
This is normal. Rebookings onto an OAL are always into full Y.

Originally Posted by channa
It's a function of SHARES. I've had botched rebookings from UA to DL, AA. Never experienced anything of the sort pre-SHARES.

Some of these botched rebookings were done by seasoned CO agents.

Always have the reissued ticket number on you after the reissue. Every now and then it's not a botched rebooking, but the OAL just can't see the ticket. If you give it to them manually, they can pull it.

But most of the time, it's something they did wrong in CO's systems.
Agreed. Thankfully I've become a lot more seasoned since the first time this happened to me at LAX and I looked like an idiot showing up to AA and the UA ticket number hadn't synced with the AA res and they made me walk back and forth to UA twice to get a ticket number.

Now I know from the get go to write down the original ticket number and the reissued ticket number when rebooked on OALs, as that's crucial. Saved me big time when trying to get back to NYC from DEN right before Hurricane Sandy and I was rebooked on AA - upon arrival at DEN AA agent couldn't print BPs as no ticket number. I read him two different ticket numbers to see which would take and voila one of them did the trick.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
This is normal. Rebookings onto an OAL are always into full Y.
No, actually, they don't have to be. They're *easier* for an agent to rebook into Y as they don't have to lookup lower inventory classes or deal with oddball fare buckets that don't map to the same cabin across carriers, but it's not a requirement.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
No, actually, they don't have to be. They're *easier* for an agent to rebook into Y as they don't have to lookup lower inventory classes or deal with oddball fare buckets that don't map to the same cabin across carriers, but it's not a requirement.
In over 30+ reroutings onto OALs I've never experienced anything other than being booked into full Y. And as I understand it, the ticketing airline isn't paying the rebooked airline the full Y fare, but rather an agreed upon amount as dictated by their interline agreement.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:04 am

In over 30+ reroutings onto OALs I've never experienced anything other than being booked into full Y. And as I understand it, the ticketing airline isn't paying the rebooked airline the full Y fare, but rather an agreed upon amount as dictated by their interline agreement.
I have
(Ever heard of the 'black swan' phenomenon? Solely because you've never seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist)
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Actually my last rebook onto an OAL (DL in this case back in March) was technically done to full "Y" (and I got the upgrade thanks to being #1 on the list). However, somehow the original fare class I paid UA is what transferred with the ticket so when the flight posted to DL it posted in "L" class and not "Y". No idea how they managed to preserve that through the system.

But the poster above me is correct. UA is not actually paying the OAL a "Y" fare equivalent. They are paying some deep discounted, pre-negotiated rate that is all handled through ARC at the end of the day. UA owes DL, DL owes AA, AA owes UA, etc. etc. and ARC keeps track of all of this for them.

-RM
Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Actually my last rebook onto an OAL (DL in this case back in March) was technically done to full "Y" (and I got the upgrade thanks to being #1 on the list). However, somehow the original fare class I paid UA is what transferred with the ticket so when the flight posted to DL it posted in "L" class and not "Y". No idea how they managed to preserve that through the system.

But the poster above me is correct. UA is not actually paying the OAL a "Y" fare equivalent. They are paying some deep discounted, pre-negotiated rate that is all handled through ARC at the end of the day. UA owes DL, DL owes AA, AA owes UA, etc. etc. and ARC keeps track of all of this for them.

-RM
The poster above you is correct solely about UA not paying a full fare price, but not about a requirement to always be rebooked into full fare. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15798241-post31.html
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
I have
(Ever heard of the 'black swan' phenomenon? Solely because you've never seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist)
Not doubting you - I had just assumed because I was always rebooked into full Y it was SOP. I'm always down to learn something new!

I do know that the fare paid is transferred with the ticket to the new airline. I flew on on DFW-IAH-LGA itinerary last December and had used a 016 e-cert for it. I basically only paid $40 out of pocket. When I was rebooked onto AA DFW-LGA nonstop and I looked at the PNR online, I was rebooked into Y, but AA site showed my e-ticket cost was $40.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:29 pm

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
Originally Posted by Lurker
CO DCA, thank you for this report. Care to mention which CC provides hotels for IRROPS?

Lurker
Well hopefully I'm not jinxing myself, but it's my UA Club card. My expenses didn't come near the $500 cap, and the claim agent told me they're covered - whether that happens on submission, we'll see.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Not doubting you - I had just assumed because I was always rebooked into full Y it was SOP. I'm always down to learn something new!

I do know that the fare paid is transferred with the ticket to the new airline. I flew on on DFW-IAH-LGA itinerary last December and had used a 016 e-cert for it. I basically only paid $40 out of pocket. When I was rebooked onto AA DFW-LGA nonstop and I looked at the PNR online, I was rebooked into Y, but AA site showed my e-ticket cost was $40.
I've noticed this as well when rebooked on OAL. I had an SFO-HNL cancellation and was rebooked on DL, where I got the full value of the ticket in MQD. I guess since DL's system didn't know how to split the ticket value across segments, it just gave me the full value. I was also blown away that 1) DL even flies SFO-HNL and 2) I got upgraded via my SPG status, which is probably the first time that's ever happened in the history of the program.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Well hopefully I'm not jinxing myself, but it's my UA Club card. My expenses didn't come near the $500 cap, and the claim agent told me they're covered - whether that happens on submission, we'll see.
Thank you! Please DO let us know how this turns out for you.

Lurker
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Question hotel for 1K with weather misconnect

Any recent experiences getting a hotel for a 1K with a weather misconnect? I'm worried about 39 min connection in Chicago this Saturday with the thunderstorms.

Which GG profile should I direct agents to?

Thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by amartin1979
Any recent experiences getting a hotel for a 1K with a weather misconnect? I'm worried about 39 min connection in Chicago this Saturday with the thunderstorms.

Which GG profile should I direct agents to?

Thanks!
About a month ago, I was connecting MUC/ORD/IAH/SJC in Paid First (P class). In ORD, there was some weather, and we were help up for about 1 hour (to allow a family to make their Bogata flight). By the time we arrived in IAH, my 9:30 pm IAH-SJC flight had already departed.

I went to the Terminal E United Club to get rebooked for a flight the next day. The agent provided a hotel and 2 meal vouchers. I asked if I received the vouchers because I was in paid First or if it was because I was on an international itinerary. She told me that I received a hotel since I was a 1k.

I mentioned that I thought the hotel for 1k policy was no longer in force. She said as far as she knew, 1k's will get a hotel for any misconnections. And that she has been providing hotels since the merger with CO (i.e. picked up United's policy).

Also another passenger who was a Star Gold also received a hotel due to an international misconnection.

I've read other posts that hotels for 1ks was problematic. Hopefully the IAH agent is correct, that 1ks are still provided hotels if misconnecting (last flight of the day).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.