Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mduell
Huh? W is a lower fare bucket than Y...
I think the OP is using "W" to refer to "premium economy cabin" in the sense of the airline-industry quasi-standard P/F/J/W/Y terminology. I figured it wasn't worth pointing out that UA does not actually market a separate W-cabin set of fares and that E+ is just an added extra feature marketed to Y seats (no downgrade from W=>Y is possible / EU downgrade compensation does not apply).
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:49 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Does EU261 apply to flights from Switzerland?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by N1120A
Yes, check here for a list of all countries:

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...r/index_en.htm
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
So I have been offered Euro 300 (CC) or US$400 (ETC) for a flight FRA-SFO-SAN where I arrived 5.5 hours after the original scheduled time, basically because they removed me from the original SFO-SAN flight as the FRA-SFO flight was delayed, but I made the flight and they had given my seat away. (There were other passengers making the same connection who arrived after me and were seated.) They put me the standby list, sat me on the flight and then removed me for another standby passenger. So next flight did not get me into SAN until 5.5 hours later.

So I believe based on the Wiki I am entitled to Euro 600 and for some reason it has been halved (not that they have stated that to me). United merely states they have determined EUR 300 is the appropriate amount.

I have been given 3-5 days to respond and accept the ETC/miles/CC.

I have another claim in for a 24 hour (+) delay so want to ensure I am understanding this compensation amount correctly.

Anyone else had this experience of being offered less than the required amount?
Any suggestions for how I receive the appropriate compensation?
Any recourse for receiving a check rather than a CC?

Thank you.
I gave up to deal with the airline myself. Last time when Flybe screwed up my flight I used https://www.flightright.co.uk/ - sure, they take a portion of the compensation but that's well worth the time I saved.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes but Switzerland only follows the reg, not the gloss of the EC court decisions broadening it (since they are not an EC member). That's a substantial difference.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by nlde
Hello! I'm hoping some of the great minds here might have some further advice on a significantly delayed trip from ZRH to SEA via EWR. My wife and I (and now our two kids) have been lifelong UA users...while we rack up far fewer miles than a biz traveller, I'd think our loyalty counts for something.

Instead of 6:10PM 7/11, we arrive 9AM 7/12."

So after what felt like an endless 30 day wait, we are offered 5,000mi per person. Which probably barely covers the "refund" for flying Y from EWR to SEA instead of our ticketed and paid W, let alone the delays and issues.

I replied with friendly exasperation that they would low ball us and also referenced EU 261 (which I know isn't always cut and dry ex-CH from other threads)

Now instead of receiving ANY REPLY, let alone a friendly one with a dose of empathy and communication from UA, I find myself at an online message board hoping someone can help .
Hopefully you received an automated response with a case number for your EC261/2004 claim. If so, please wait a couple of weeks as this is what happened to me as they research the claims and then come back to you.

I had two claims and initially for the first claim they offered me ETC/miles or CC for the EUR (converted into USD), so I responded after getting feedback from a FTer (very thankful) and insisted on a check. They agreed and are sending the check which can take up to six weeks (per their e-mail). My second claim took a few more days since it was an older claim and they offered me ETC/miles or check for the USD equivalent.

Unlike the courtesy ETC/miles that are provided fairly quickly I suspect there are more internal protocols for the EC261/2004 claims.

I know others have suggested using a service, and certainly you should consider that but they do take a cut, and UA are settling my claims without the need for the intervention of a third party.

Be patient (which I certainly appreciate may be difficult so close to the events that occurred).

FWIW - I did accept the other customer satisfaction offer as it was not the EC261/2004 claim, but mine was a little more than your offer. Others have also done this and we make separate EC261/2004 claims.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:39 pm

UA now providing electronic notice of EC261/2004 for OLCI

I am not certain if this is a change in policy by UA, or if it related to my recent EC261/2004 claims, but when my son did OLCI for his most recent flight from LHR he received the EC261/2004 notification on the screen.

I am guessing there were enough people stating they never receive the notice from UA when there was a delay (I certainly never did).
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I am not certain if this is a change in policy by UA, or if it related to my recent EC261/2004 claims, but when my son did OLCI for his most recent flight from LHR he received the EC261/2004 notification on the screen.

I am guessing there were enough people stating they never receive the notice from UA when there was a delay (I certainly never did).
I got the same yesterday, checking in for today. Seems like a CYA.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Just filed a claim based on my situation here

Exact time of flight cancellation

Asked for 600 euros each but it will be a fight to the end. We'll see what happens, I think at least my hotel bill should be covered under the legislation. Beyond that even if my claim was approved BHX is stopping flights in a month so getting paid seems rather impossible.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by slickvik
Just filed a claim based on my situation here
It will properly be denied. There was no delaying event in the EC. Not to mention that a hurricane which shut down IAH entirely will likely qualify as extraordinary circumstances.

Last edited by Kacee; Sep 4, 2017 at 3:52 pm
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
I got the same yesterday, checking in for today. Seems like a CYA.
I fly to and from LHR ~monthly and have been getting 261 notifications on the app/site since ~February. Fairly consistent both ways, and has also shown for family members flying on my miles.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by Kacee
It will properly be denied. There was no delaying event in the EC. Not to mention that a hurricane which shut down IAH entirely will likely qualify as extraordinary circumstances.
Even within extraordinary circumstances the airline is still responsible for hotels and meals, I was offered nothing. Since I hadn't reached the final destination and came from the EU united at least owes me 4 nights hotel. I ate mostly cash meals so that's fine.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by slickvik
Even within extraordinary circumstances the airline is still responsible for hotels and meals, I was offered nothing. Since I hadn't reached the final destination and came from the EU united at least owes me 4 nights hotel. I ate mostly cash meals so that's fine.
So what is your question?

FWIW - once you realized there was a natural disaster I am not certain why you did not ask UA to rebook you on the next flight back to BHX rather than where you did not want/need to be especially for four nights. I am assuming there are other facts you have not provided to support that length of time for which UA will agree is why they should pay for four nights of accommodation (and meals?).
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:53 pm

So what is your question?

FWIW - once you realized there was a natural disaster I am not certain why you did not ask UA to rebook you on the next flight back to BHX rather than where you did not want/need to be especially for four nights. I am assuming there are other facts you have not provided to support that length of time for which UA will agree is why they should pay for four nights of accommodation (and meals?).
I didn't know that going back to BHX was a realistic option that could be provided to be honest, I just learned about trip in vain on FT yesterday. Anyway we'll see what happens my hopes aren't too high for anything. I suppose that's what travel insurance is for.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:29 pm

United finally responded after 29 days. They said EU 261 doesn't apply, not even duty of care. However, they are giving $600 voucher anyway. My guess is they realized duty of care did apply (hotels/meals) and would rather give a voucher than cash. I'll take it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.