Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overweight passenger in middle seat

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2012, 6:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by garykung
Do OP mind sharing how much are you getting and which exact office responded?

Originally Posted by kingzwingz
...I shall know in a few days what compensation my husband and I will receive. I will report back.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:11 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR

Also, did she need a seatbelt extender? I don't believe extenders are allowed in the exit row.
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld

COS are not allowed in the exit row, period. There are regulatons regarding that. If anyone needs a seat belt extender, they are not supposed to be in the exit row, at least that is what I have read and found out the hard way.
Originally Posted by JetAway
Could a 400 lb person sitting in a Exit Row reasonably be expected to assist in an emergency?
Originally Posted by garykung

Can they even get out the window exit?
Under PMUA policies, any passenger who requires a seatbelt extender is not allowed in exit row. However, with the revised safety cards in place, that rule is no longer in place.

Also, not all exit rows are window exits. And yes, many large people are willing and able to assist if necessary. Probably can better handle that 40 lb. window than most people.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BOB W
If you travel often you should have some status. Why not?
Originally Posted by djs
For some people, 3 times a year could be often; or others 3 times a month. Easy to not have status if only 3 times a year?
Absolutely. I used to fly "often" when my fiancee and I lived in different. At the time, taking 8 trips a year was a LOT. Certainly more than I had ever flown before and more than the average joe. From that perspective, you could take 1 round trip a month and still not get status, but that would still be considered a lot of travel for the average non-status passenger.

There are also those who might take 1-2 long haul flights per year and get status, but would in no way be considered "frequent" flyers.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hyatt, LA Kings hockey!
Update: I received an email from United Customer Care today. My husband and I each received an ETC for $150.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 10:22 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by JetAway
Could a 400 lb person sitting in a Exit Row reasonably be expected to assist in an emergency?

This is what I was going to say, surprised they allowed it.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:34 pm

I had a NRT-SIN flight in the exit row aisle a couple of months ago and just before takeoff a 400+ lbs gentleman arrived to put himself into the middle seat. The young and skinny lady in the window seat was o.k. with the intrusion. I am not a young and skinny girl and I was left with half a seat. The lady and I passed on our meals, he asked the F/A if he could not have them as well ( and he did ). The F/a said as long as the passenger fits through the exit door, it's o.k. to be in an exit seat. Well, the exit seat in the 747 is pretty darned big. A great incentive to fly the Barbie Jets, isn't it? I spent most of the flight in the galley talking to the very friendly Chinese F/As, while the POS slept. Wrote to UA, got a short reply and a tiny miles offer. Not looking forward to my next trip in 8 days.................
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:25 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
I had a NRT-SIN flight in the exit row aisle a couple of months ago and just before takeoff a 400+ lbs gentleman arrived to put himself into the middle seat. The young and skinny lady in the window seat was o.k. with the intrusion. I am not a young and skinny girl and I was left with half a seat. The lady and I passed on our meals, he asked the F/A if he could not have them as well ( and he did ). The F/a said as long as the passenger fits through the exit door, it's o.k. to be in an exit seat. Well, the exit seat in the 747 is pretty darned big. A great incentive to fly the Barbie Jets, isn't it? I spent most of the flight in the galley talking to the very friendly Chinese F/As, while the POS slept. Wrote to UA, got a short reply and a tiny miles offer. Not looking forward to my next trip in 8 days.................
You have only yourself to blame. Any of us that flies frequently should know the PMCO, now UA, policy. It the passenger is encroaching significantly into your seat or can't sit in seat with armrest down, they must buy an additional seat or upgrade to business or FC. You should have brought this to the attention of the FA before departure and insisted that the comply with their own regulations. See below:

A customer flying in the economy cabin who is not able to safely and comfortably fit in a single seat is required to purchase an additional seat for each leg of their itinerary. The second seat may be purchased for the same fare as the original seat, provided it is purchased at the same time. A customer who does not purchase an extra seat in advance may be required to do so on the day of departure for the fare level available on the day of departure. The customer may instead choose to purchase a ticket for United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst®, or elect to pay for an upgrade to a premium cabin if there is availability to do so. United Airlines is not required to provide additional seats or upgrades free of charge.

A customer is required to purchase an additional seat or upgrade if they do not meet one of the following criteria:

The customer must be able to properly attach, buckle and wear the seatbelt, with one extension if necessary, whenever the seatbelt sign is illuminated or as instructed by a crew member.*
The customer must be able to remain seated with the seat armrest(s) down for the entirety of the flight.
The customer must not significantly encroach upon the adjacent seating space. See our seat maps.

United will not board a customer who declines to purchase a ticket for an additional seat or upgrade for each leg of their itinerary when required.

Last edited by hughw; Jul 7, 2012 at 9:10 am
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Bttc
Which planes have movable armrests in exit rows?
ex-TWA MD-80s on AA have them, that's the only place I've seen them.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: UA-1K; DL-1MM; SPG-P75; Marriot-P
Originally Posted by hughw
If the passenger is enriching significantly (into) your seat ...
That is a whole new way to look at it...
Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If the passenger is encroaching significantly into your seat or can't sit in seat with armrest down, they must buy an additional seat or upgrade to business or FC. You should have brought this to the attention of the FA before departure and insisted that the comply with their own regulations.
I tried insisting that I be provided with a full seat once, when my seat mate was encroaching so much that the armrest couldn't be put down, and I was told tough luck, I could sit in that seat or deplane.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by halls120
I tried insisting that I be provided with a full seat once, when my seat mate was encroaching so much that the armrest couldn't be put down, and I was told tough luck, I could sit in that seat or deplane.
I carry a copy of the rules printed in case this happens. I would remain standing and ask for the GA to come on board. And if they insisted on deboarding me under these circumstances, I can assure you there would be quite a stink, especially if it was clearcut (i.e. a second extender required, or arm rest couldn't be lowered) and not a judgement of how much encroachment is "significant."
Old Jul 7, 2012, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I carry a copy of the rules printed in case this happens. I would remain standing and ask for the GA to come on board. And if they insisted on deboarding me under these circumstances, I can assure you there would be quite a stink, especially if it was clearcut (i.e. a second extender required, or arm rest couldn't be lowered) and not a judgement of how much encroachment is "significant."
In my case, no one tried to suggest that the encroachment wasn't significant. They simply refused to enforce the rules, and told me my only option was to be placed on a later flight. I complained after the trip, and received a generous voucher, but the moral of the story is that I have little faith that asking an airline employee to enforce their own rules will prove productive.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
This happened to me once on a jungle jet in 12B. Armrest would not go down all the way...I called for the GA and had the passenger removed from the full flight. This guy was probably about 350 (best guess) and sweating like he was running laps out on the tarmac.

Maybe it was a jerk move, but you know what -- it's also a jerk move to know that you won't fit in one seat and not purchase another one. No apologies.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA, DL UA (.5MM)
Originally Posted by kingzwingz
Update: I received an email from United Customer Care today. My husband and I each received an ETC for $150.
Now that's the new United that we know and love in action!
A whole $150 cert each? Spectacular!

/scarcasm

(and condolences to you both)
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by TommyC80
Maybe it was a jerk move, but you know what -- it's also a jerk move to know that you won't fit in one seat and not purchase another one. No apologies.
THIS. ^^

I'll never forget that flight SJC-ORD in the middle seat of a 727 wedged between two enormous men, both of whom were easily 400lbs each. Even though I am convenience-sized, it was a real squeeze.

Now that I'm aware of the rules, never again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.