Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Sign in using an external account

Old Sep 7, 12, 8:56 pm   #1

Programs: UA 1K, HH Silver, Hyatt Plat, Avis Pres
Op-Upgrades from C to F

Quick Question for the experts:

I am booked in a J fare ticket from SFO to SEL. There are only two seats left in Business. First and Economy are wide open. What are my chances of getting an op-upgrade from C to F?

Thanks in advance.
RichardB0777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 12, 8:58 pm   #2

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - Plat
0. As long as there are two seats for sale they'll keep trying to sell. If Y and C were both 0 maybe, because they oversell Y and rarely oversell C.
njcommodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 12, 8:59 pm   #3

Programs: UA GS, DL PM, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardB0777 View Post

I am booked in a J fare ticket from SFO to SEL. There are only two seats left in Business. First and Economy are wide open. What are my chances of getting an op-upgrade from C to F?

Thanks in advance.
If economy is wide open probably low. If economy was oversold then probably decent. But better if you are booked in J than C or D or Z.
Old Sep 7, 12, 10:38 pm   #4

Programs: AA EXP, COdbaUA 1K, Hyatt Plt, Hilton GLD, SPG Plat50, Marriott Gld, Hertz PC, NEXUS/GE
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Zero. If Y were oversold, they would move people into C and possibly need to roll C into F. Given Y is "wide open," they will not devalue the F cabin.
Old Sep 7, 12, 10:54 pm   #5
Moderator, United Airlines, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Quote:
.. I am booked in a J fare ticket from SFO to SEL. There are only two seats left in Business. First and Economy are wide open. What are my chances of getting an op-upgrade from C to F? ....
agree with others -- slim chances
However the seatmap is not a reliable indicator.

What is F, C and Y fare class inventory? (look quickly)

Closer to flight time, the available C fare class will be available F+available C - Y oversell, so C sold out will still be C>0 if F is not sold.
WineCountryUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 12, 11:22 pm   #6

Programs: EK-PLAT (I/O), UA-1K, BA-GOLD, SPG-PLAT100, JUMEIRAH-SIRIUS GOLD
No one bothered to ask OP if he's an Elite? If there were any OP UP's they would go to GS & 1K's first before anyone else. YES, many foreign spairlines do it the right way & upgrade by fare paid first but not in the US.
chinatraderjmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 12, 1:06 am   #7

Programs: AA EXP, COdbaUA 1K, Hyatt Plt, Hilton GLD, SPG Plat50, Marriott Gld, Hertz PC, NEXUS/GE
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr View Post
No one bothered to ask OP if he's an Elite? If there were any OP UP's they would go to GS & 1K's first before anyone else. YES, many foreign spairlines do it the right way & upgrade by fare paid first but not in the US.
Even foreign carriers are not going to randomly op-up passengers without cause (oversale, etc.). Elite status/fare bucket is moot if they do not intend to op-up anyone.
Old Sep 8, 12, 6:31 am   #8

Programs: UA 1K, HH Silver, Hyatt Plat, Avis Pres
thanks guys! all very helpful.
RichardB0777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 12, 6:48 am   #9

Programs: EK-PLAT (I/O), UA-1K, BA-GOLD, SPG-PLAT100, JUMEIRAH-SIRIUS GOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK View Post
Even foreign carriers are not going to randomly op-up passengers without cause (oversale, etc.). Elite status/fare bucket is moot if they do not intend to op-up anyone.
The definition of "op up" is "for operational reasons". Otherwise it's just an upgrade. OP was specifically asking about " Op-Ups" which all airlines do when Y is over sold. That's why I mentioned status. OP has NO chance without status as OP UPS are offered to status passengers first
chinatraderjmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 12, 9:33 am   #10

Programs: UA1k MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr View Post
OP's profile says he is a 1K. Assuming this, I'd suggest he use a GPU is he wants to be in F. Of course, with UA these days, who knows if that would put him in the running for an U/G or automatically disqualify him.
1kBill is offline   Reply With Quote