Search

Op-Upgrades from C to F

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2012, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
Op-Upgrades from C to F

Quick Question for the experts:

I am booked in a J fare ticket from SFO to SEL. There are only two seats left in Business. First and Economy are wide open. What are my chances of getting an op-upgrade from C to F?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
0. As long as there are two seats for sale they'll keep trying to sell. If Y and C were both 0 maybe, because they oversell Y and rarely oversell C.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by RichardB0777

I am booked in a J fare ticket from SFO to SEL. There are only two seats left in Business. First and Economy are wide open. What are my chances of getting an op-upgrade from C to F?

Thanks in advance.
If economy is wide open probably low. If economy was oversold then probably decent. But better if you are booked in J than C or D or Z.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE

Thanks in advance.
Zero. If Y were oversold, they would move people into C and possibly need to roll C into F. Given Y is "wide open," they will not devalue the F cabin.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 9:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.. I am booked in a J fare ticket from SFO to SEL. There are only two seats left in Business. First and Economy are wide open. What are my chances of getting an op-upgrade from C to F? ....
agree with others -- slim chances
However the seatmap is not a reliable indicator.

What is F, C and Y fare class inventory? (look quickly)

Closer to flight time, the available C fare class will be available F+available C - Y oversell, so C sold out will still be C>0 if F is not sold.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:22 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
No one bothered to ask OP if he's an Elite? If there were any OP UP's they would go to GS & 1K's first before anyone else. YES, many foreign spairlines do it the right way & upgrade by fare paid first but not in the US.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 12:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
No one bothered to ask OP if he's an Elite? If there were any OP UP's they would go to GS & 1K's first before anyone else. YES, many foreign spairlines do it the right way & upgrade by fare paid first but not in the US.
Even foreign carriers are not going to randomly op-up passengers without cause (oversale, etc.). Elite status/fare bucket is moot if they do not intend to op-up anyone.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
thanks guys! all very helpful.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 5:48 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Even foreign carriers are not going to randomly op-up passengers without cause (oversale, etc.). Elite status/fare bucket is moot if they do not intend to op-up anyone.
The definition of "op up" is "for operational reasons". Otherwise it's just an upgrade. OP was specifically asking about " Op-Ups" which all airlines do when Y is over sold. That's why I mentioned status. OP has NO chance without status as OP UPS are offered to status passengers first
Old Sep 8, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
OP's profile says he is a 1K. Assuming this, I'd suggest he use a GPU is he wants to be in F. Of course, with UA these days, who knows if that would put him in the running for an U/G or automatically disqualify him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.