Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It appears at times, UA will release upgrade space, now labeled as PZ, but the upgrade waitlist is not processed until a later time. During this period of time, a new upgrade request will clear, ignoring the waitlist. This could be a new request or someone calling to request their waitlisted request to be clear (sometimes called -- "jumping the queue"). So as a defensive move, some may try to call to get their waitlisted request cleared if this situation occurs. Over the years agents, at times, have been reluctant or agreeable to doing this. More recently there are reports of agents needing supervisor approval to do this (this may be UA's attempt to prevent "queue jumping").

Another strategy in this situation is to remove a waitlisted request and then reapply. This does risk losing one's place on the waitlist if unsuccessful

At times, the waitlist process seems to be delayed for an extended period of time, it is speculated that this is a situation where the waitlist processing is "stuck" -- this may be due to a ticket out-of-sync issue with the passenger on top of the waitlist or other causes. A good agent will notice this if you call about clearing and fix the situation.

Releated thread
Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Archive thread: Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K
My wife applied an RPU to waitlist an upgrade IAD-LAX. The upgrade did not clear in advance and inventory ticked down to F1, with the flight booked 19/20; my wife was #1 on the departure-management upgrade waitlist and a phone agent told her that she was #1 on the secret invisible pre-departure waitlist (!).

Between three and four hours before departure, the flight opened up to F1 R1. After about 30 minutes in this state, my wife called in and had United force through the RPU, which worked fine.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I find that there is often a rough (but not exact) correlation between R and I on international flights. EF will search for I, and I have used those alerts, usually coming in overnight, as a prompt to check for R.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I find that there is often a rough (but not exact) correlation between R and I on international flights. EF will search for I, and I have used those alerts, usually coming in overnight, as a prompt to check for R.
It's generally true that if UA opens I, it will also open R. But the reverse is not true. In fact, I'd say that the incidence of R>0, I=0 is greater than 75%. So while the EF alert is certainly a good idea, it's not a substitute for checking regularly for R using Expert Mode.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: CO Plat
I have a flight on Friday night IAH-SCL, waiting for an upgrade.

The fare classes are currently:

Available fare classes:
J9
JN9
C9
D9
Z9
ZN9
P9
PN0
R0
RN0
IN0
I0
Y9
YN9
B9
M9
E9
U9
H9
HN9
Q9
V9
W9
S9
T9
L9
K9
G9
N9
XN9
X9

Will the tipping point for upgrades be when R>0 ?

If I see R>0, should I call and ask for a manual upgrade ? I have no current status with UA (except for a very expensive MP Club Card)...

... been white-knuckling this upgrade since buying the ticket back in May 2016.

Cheers for any advice.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's generally true that if UA opens I, it will also open R. But the reverse is not true. In fact, I'd say that the incidence of R>0, I=0 is greater than 75%. So while the EF alert is certainly a good idea, it's not a substitute for checking regularly for R using Expert Mode.
I think EF searches for R as well.

Just set up few R alerts.

However, EF won't search for PN.

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by Harry IAH
I have a flight on Friday night IAH-SCL, waiting for an upgrade.

The fare classes are currently:

Available fare classes:
J9
JN9
C9
D9
Z9
ZN9
P9
PN0
R0
RN0
IN0
I0
Y9
YN9
B9
M9
E9
U9
H9
HN9
Q9
V9
W9
S9
T9
L9
K9
G9
N9
XN9
X9

If I see R>0, should I call and ask for a manual upgrade ? I have no current status with UA (except for a very expensive MP Club Card)...

Cheers for any advice.
What instrument are you using for the upgrade request?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...Will the tipping point for upgrades be when R>0 ?

Cheers for any advice.
Yes, if you see R>1, call. It just means you're potentially cutting the upgrade queue (ie before the sweep runs), but with no status, why not?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Available fare classes:

Z9 ZN9 P9 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0

If I see R>0, should I call and ask for a manual upgrade ? .....
as a non-GS, you need R>0 for an upgrade.
If you are waitlisted for I award (saver business), then it is I>0. BTW, never refer to this an an upgrade, it isn't and it will confuse folks as it has here.

Z9, P9 is a moderately positive sign. You is willing to still sell discount premium fares. Also means there will be decent cash upgrade offerings a check (not a good sign for mileage upgrades)

PN0 is a negative sign as it means there may be uncleared GSs ahead of you.

If R>0 and you don't get upgraded, then call -- they should not clear you unless you are at the top of the list but some agents might.
Same for I>0, if an award waitlist -- note this is less likely to happen.

All in all these are neither positive or negative signs, I want not take the bet either way.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by NH_Clark
What instrument are you using for the upgrade request?
I paid cash for the original economy ticket in T class, then paid $500 + 25K miles for the upgrade request (which was charged and miles deducted immediately).

Status currently says "Upgrade Requested".

There seem to be 13 out of 30 Polaris seats available.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kb1992
I think EF searches for R as well.

Just set up few R alerts.

However, EF won't search for PN.
and neither for R on EF.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
...If R>0 and you don't get ungraded, then call -- they should not clear you unless you are at the top of the list but some agents might...
Yeah, the period between allocation of seats to R and an upgrade sweep is a free-for-all. Logically, a sweep should run immediately with top of list getting seats(s). Unfortunately, that's not the way it works - a time gap often exists between R becoming available and an upgrade sweep. This creates a situation where someone booking a new ticket in that window can grab that R, cutting in front of the entire waitlist. As long as United allows that kind of situation to exist, I have no problem with someone lower on the waitlist grabbing it when they see it.

I guess the alternative is to have agents clear from top of list when alerted to R space from an upgrade hopeful. Still doesn't prevent a late bookee grabbing an upgrade away from someone who's been waiting months.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yeah, the period between allocation of seats to R and an upgrade sweep is a free-for-all. Logically, a sweep should run immediately with top of list getting seats(s). Unfortunately, that's not the way it works - a time gap often exists between R becoming available and an upgrade sweep. This creates a situation where someone booking a new ticket in that window can grab that R, cutting in front of the entire waitlist. As long as United allows that kind of situation to exist, I have no problem with someone lower on the waitlist grabbing it when they see it.

I guess the alternative is to have agents clear from top of list when alerted to R space from an upgrade hopeful. Still doesn't prevent a late bookee grabbing an upgrade away from someone who's been waiting months.
Then I will be extra vigilant and keep checking R space ... so that I can spend $60/hour in a lie-flat ...

... At these rates, Polaris should come with a massage ... although I would settle for the bear.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yeah, the period between allocation of seats to R and an upgrade sweep is a free-for-all. Logically, a sweep should run immediately with top of list getting seats(s). Unfortunately, that's not the way it works - a time gap often exists between R becoming available and an upgrade sweep. This creates a situation where someone booking a new ticket in that window can grab that R, cutting in front of the entire waitlist.
This just happened to me recently. I had an X award ticket for a flight but was hoping for I to open up. Three hours before the departure time I checked for one last time and it was still I0 but showing R1. At that time there were two persons on the upgrade waitlist shown by the flight status. One of them was probably an employee as he was listed on both the upgrade waitlist and standby list. I decided to take the chance, booked a new paid ticket supported by a GPU, and cancelled the award ticket. The new ticket booked directly into R and I got the upgrade. Fortunately for those two on the waitlist, both cleared at the gate.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Arrow

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
and neither for R on EF.
Disagree.

I have active EF alerts for R.

Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:06 am

Upgrade cleared this morning, even though I=0 and R=0.

Way to go UA ... guess the computer glitches came out in my favor !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.