Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UACO July consolidated traffic data

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K
If this is a trend that continues, what are the chances -- really -- that UA will restore some features of the loyalty program? Or at least offer some promotions/incentives to elites in the coming months? I tend to think the chances of the former are very, very slim unless there is a change in management. A big chunk of the problem is SHARES - I've watched gate agents struggle with it just to get through the boarding process, which I'm sure was the real reason behind a few of my flight delays recently. And when there's IRROPS, forget it. If there's one single decision that now stands out as fatal, the decision to make SHARES the platform for the new airline would be it. Very difficult to undo it now. Unless they can somehow turn it around (doubtful). And I'm speaking as a pmCO top-tier elite who has had relatively few problems post 3/3, and even a few pleasant surprises along the way as well.

The degradation of the elite program was surely meant to increase shareholder value ... which in the end is all that matters to most executives. Unfortunately for Jeff, customer service and the bottom line are intrinsically linked, for airlines especially.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the executive suite to hear how these results are being analyzed. Either they recognize that the playbook is falling apart, or they'll just keep it up until they either post a better quarter or two, or they get replaced. Or both. The only question I have is *just* how far up their you-know-whats their heads are. Time will tell.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Beerman92
Have you determined at what point things tilt away from United for you? If ontime performance drops to 50% will that make you reconsider? Or are you willing to stay with United no matter what since you can fly nonstop? Just curious.

I'm a huge fan of the best schedule winning out. Its why I fly WN frequently if I have to go up and down the west coast.

Lastly, have you thought about getting 50k status on 2 carriers? Seems to me like top tier means less on United than in the past. I don't have enough experience with AA to know if EXP is far superior to PLT. But its another thing to consider.
That's a really good question. Soon, I need to decide if I take AA's Exp offer or stick with UA to re-qualify for 1K. I fly enough to do one, but not both.

I'm likely going to stick with UA this year and see what my experience is. If I don't face any of the nightmares and I get upgrades when I should, then I will deal with the general misery and lack of reliability. If I end up facing the nightmares that others are posting here or I can't get upgraded anywhere on GPUs, then I'm definitely done. I've given up on domestic upgrades but I've still got a pile of GPUs and those are important to me.

So, the tipping point is most likely going to be determined by what I actually experience the rest of this year, as distinct from the horrors that I read about on here every day.

And, this summer, I've enjoyed staying home, very little travel. I plan to ramp it up again in Fall/Winter, hoping that the "Summer of Hell" will be finished.

I know it's a 50% delay rate, but what I don't know is how many of those delays are severe.

I'm with you on WN for short hop west coast. That's an easy choice.

But, for most long-haul domestic or international, UA does have a great schedule.

Gold status on two airlines is an interesting idea. If we conclude that GPUs are in fact worthless, then that would be a valid strategy. If GPUs can still be used, then, they really are quite valuable.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
tend to think the chances of the former are very, very slim unless there is a change in management. A big chunk of the problem is SHARES - I've watched gate agents struggle with it just to get through the boarding process, which I'm sure was the real reason behind a few of my flight delays recently. And when there's IRROPS, forget it. If there's one single decision that now stands out as fatal, the decision to make SHARES the platform for the new airline would be it.
SHARES is certainly a huge part of their tangible problems with servicing customers efficiently.

Slightly less tangible is the attitude of "all elites are equal" attitude that means 1K=Gold=Silver=CC holders. For a lot of business travelers, the ability to get through the airport fast is important, so they aren't wasting time (see the thread on the security line disaster @ SFO)...
Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: United, AA, Hilton
I wish there was a way to only punish the management of UA, but alas I do not see one without the employees of UA being punished as well. While there may be some bad apples out there, I have to believe a lot of the problem is that their morale is shot, they are given horrible tools and no support. I've been flying UA a long time (not as long as many on here) and it saddens me to see the state of things. I now enjoy my flights on AA and wish UA employees the best, I just hope that the BOD sees the problems before it is to late. Otherwise it is the employees who will pay(I say this as a former Circuit City employee whose senior management team sucked)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.