FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UACO July consolidated traffic data
View Single Post
Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:22 am
skipmnyc

Programs: UA 1K
If this is a trend that continues, what are the chances -- really -- that UA will restore some features of the loyalty program? Or at least offer some promotions/incentives to elites in the coming months? I tend to think the chances of the former are very, very slim unless there is a change in management. A big chunk of the problem is SHARES - I've watched gate agents struggle with it just to get through the boarding process, which I'm sure was the real reason behind a few of my flight delays recently. And when there's IRROPS, forget it. If there's one single decision that now stands out as fatal, the decision to make SHARES the platform for the new airline would be it. Very difficult to undo it now. Unless they can somehow turn it around (doubtful). And I'm speaking as a pmCO top-tier elite who has had relatively few problems post 3/3, and even a few pleasant surprises along the way as well.

The degradation of the elite program was surely meant to increase shareholder value ... which in the end is all that matters to most executives. Unfortunately for Jeff, customer service and the bottom line are intrinsically linked, for airlines especially.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the executive suite to hear how these results are being analyzed. Either they recognize that the playbook is falling apart, or they'll just keep it up until they either post a better quarter or two, or they get replaced. Or both. The only question I have is *just* how far up their you-know-whats their heads are. Time will tell.