Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Live 787 Unveiling

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by char777
That starts in March. The plane is being delivered in September and presumably will only do domestic hops. My question is, does anybody know *which* domestic hops these might be?
Hub - Hub flights, as well as EWR - MCO, IAH - MCO etc.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Any idea how MCO fits into this mix? Seems kind of odd to send the newest aircraft to a mostly kettle/leisure destination.. If anything, it should go on transcon flights that might attract more paying C pax.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Any idea how MCO fits into this mix? Seems kind of odd to send the newest aircraft to a mostly kettle/leisure destination.. If anything, it should go on transcon flights that might attract more paying C pax.
On CO, kettles rule

Originally Posted by featheroleather
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Boeing didn't overhype it. United negated the goodness by what they did with it

Take an NH 787 and then you will agree Boeing deserves a cookie
Part of the hype by Boeing was bragging about building different sections all over the world, then " seamlesly" putting it all together in the US. 3 yrs late &its just coming on line=overhype in my book.
I was referring to end product

You refer to project - and on that aspectyou definitely have a very valid point!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 3, 2012 at 5:20 am
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:14 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by LAX
I thought NH has only 8 abreast on its B787s, no?

LAX
Correct. NH and JL went 2-4-2 for eight abreast, but all subsequent 787 operators have gone 3-3-3 in Y.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
for such a remarkable aircraft, you don't even get direct aisle access in Business? sad....
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:48 am

Programs: UA G, Marriott PlatPrem
Looks great. It'll be a real fun experience flying this for the first time!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
The pics don't really show it, but I saw in one of the videos that they're using the same, drab gray bulkhead walls and lav/closet doors that they've been using for 20 years.

I guess swooshing the gold stripe on the outside was as innovative as CO could get. Game changing no doubt.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 2:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
for such a remarkable aircraft, you don't even get direct aisle access in Business? sad....
+1 (or maybe -1 depending on how you see it ).

I find it a lack of touch with the business travellers needs to keep insisting on C seats with no aisle access. UAs new 777 with 4 seats in the center is the epitome of such disconnect.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 4:42 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Those air nozzles are the same type that are found on the new sky interior 737. Let's hope they do more blowing, than sucking; unlike their narrow-body counterparts.

Originally Posted by channa
The pics don't really show it, but I saw in one of the videos that they're using the same, drab gray bulkhead walls and lav/closet doors that they've been using for 20 years.

I guess swooshing the gold stripe on the outside was as innovative as CO could get. Game changing no doubt.
+1

Could we really expect anything short of that? The only thing different is the new headrest flaps in BF and even that's half old! They sure do have vision.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 5:48 am

it looks great. how exciting.

and it looks like all window seats in the BF cabin have great views out!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 6:32 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by channa

honestly when comparing old bulkheads i find the grey to be less depressing than the old UA dirt brown bulkheads. grey may be 90's but the brown feels 80's (feels funny to think that the 90's is "twenty years ago").

Last edited by bob_the_d; Aug 3, 2012 at 6:43 am
Old Aug 3, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
It has nothing to do with kettles and everything to do with MCO MX...
Old Aug 3, 2012, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
what is the layout in Business, 7 across? its just such a shame to squeeze in the kitchen sink... This could've been a great way to roll out something more appealing and appetizing, say like a 1 - 2 - 1 layout.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
what is the layout in Business, 7 across? its just such a shame to squeeze in the kitchen sink... This could've been a great way to roll out something more appealing and appetizing, say like a 1 - 2 - 1 layout.
2-2-2 same as the pmco 772 BF config.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:03 am

Programs: VAG
Or how about a -1- layout? Just one seat per row, really wide? And then just one row, so just one seat in the whole cabin. FAs would stand beside you with giant feather fans feeding you grapes for the whole flight.

Seriously though I'm trying to understand the density. I'd thought ANA would be significantly less dense because it's 1-2-1 and 1-1-1 in alternating rows, but looking at the seatmaps and comparing the cabins fore of the main entry doors it seems like ANA crams twenty biz seats into that cabin while United only has eighteen. However United also has two lavs and a bit of galley in the same space.

I'm guessing that over the longer run most airlines will go for an ANA-like configuration where one man's footwell is another man's side-table. It seems like that's the best way to get the best of all possible worlds: you get lie-flat ability *and* all forward facing *and* a combination of seats with privacy and seats where you can talk to your companion *and* direct aisle access for everybody *and* reasonably high density of seats. But nobody has ever accused UACO of being on the bleeding edge of cabin design.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.