Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tomanova
Did OLCI exactly at T-24, no buy up offers on the two remaining coach PNRs. Called GS customer service immediately - it took 20 minutes on the phone and a supervisor to assist, but got the last two C seats converted to PN and GPUs assigned.
Lovely. XN to BF without R ever opening for the 1Ks waitlisted on paid tickets. No wonder we have threads like this: How Do You Guys Actually Burn Your GPU's?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Lovely. XN to BF without R ever opening for the 1Ks waitlisted on paid tickets. No wonder we have threads like this: How Do You Guys Actually Burn Your GPU's?
Yup - as I've said, UA is now a great airline for GS and Kettles, and that's about it
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:22 am
xox

Programs: UA ex-1k, now Gold bumped up from Silver
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
If you think they are a guarantee to sit in J on the itinerary of your choosing, there is a solution for that, called a ticket.
Increasingly that's exactly what we've been doing. If we care at all, and we can't be guaranteed J at booking (via open R inventory) we just book J.

However I understand the frustration of being undercut by TODs or HODs. United is luring people to fly United by the promise of upgrades. We applied RPUs to our 26 year old daughter's flight to Costa Rica. She was upgraded to Houston, but waitlisted for Costa Rica. I asked her to check in at T-24 for her flight to Houston. She was #1 on the waitlist to CR, but at T-24 for the Costa Rica flight, the two available J seats were sold. (In retrospect if it was important, I should have told her to take whatever offer they made when she checked in. And I realize that in the future she won't inherit our 1k status on the applied RPU.) As it is I'll tell her to sit with her Mom and I'll sit in the back. Three hour flight, big deal.

Most of us who (like me) have complete control over who, when and where we fly, will have a breaking point … for me the breaking point will be when TPAC/TATL GPUs are too difficult to redeem given our style of travel. We will not sit in Y crossing oceans. Been there, done that (far too many times), but not again. While United is ok with me for TPACs and TATLs in J, it's not my first choice (or second or third …). If I start having to pay full fare for TPAC and TATL Js, I will fly the airline that offers me the best combination of schedule, comfort, and price, and in most cases that will not be United. Of course that's exactly what I'm doing right now, but the value proposition is still tilted towards United because of ease (for us) of GPU redemption.

Last edited by xox; Nov 25, 2014 at 11:01 am Reason: Typo
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by xox
If I start having to pay full fare for TPAC and TATL Js, I will fly the airline that offers me the best combination of schedule, comfort, and price, and in most cases that will not be United. Of course that's exactly what I'm doing right now, but the value proposition is still titled towards United because of ease (for us) of GPU redemption.
This point really can't be overemphasized.

UA believes it can maintain existing business with substantially decreased incentives to frequent flyers below the GS level. It is surely emboldened by the reduction in competition following the AA/US merger. Whether its assessment of the market is correct remains to be seen.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
I've been able to use 11 out of 12 GPU's in the last 2 years. All but 1 was TPAC,and usually scheduled for a sunday/Monday departure. SFO/ICN or TPE or KIX and EWR/PVG or PEK. Sunday/Mondays are a lot harder due to the business travel load, but they do happen.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
... I'm done with this 1K B.S. It's just a scam. The GPUs are useless, the UDUs rarely happen (and if it does, it's for SFO-LAS or some bogus flight like that), and platinum gets me my economy plus exit rows just the same. I'm just done with this whole airline mileage thing. It's not worth it anymore.
I've come to the same conclusion.

For Asia, yes. Not so much for TATL ex-SFO. It's pretty rare to see R SFO to Europe these days and those are all dicey flights to waitlist.
Agree.

TATL ex-SFO has always been tough but after CO control on 3/12, I have yet to find R on any TATL direct ex-SFO.

For TPAC, the best bet I've found is SFO-KIX, but after CO control on 3/12, the price of SFO-KIX increased substantially. It's often > $700 more than SFO-NRT. And, connecting to other Asian cities out of KIX is harder than through NRT. But, for the right circumstances, it can be a good way to find R ex-SFO in TPAC direction.

With the higher prices CO put on that route, it's almost as expensive as a P fare, but if someone needs or wants to go to Asia and burn a GPU, it's one of the more reliable options, though perhaps not a fantastic value.

Originally Posted by weero
... I can only repeat from real life bookings: in 10 years, 1.3M BIS miles - not once ever was there I / XC / R (as they were named over the years) inventory. ...
I found lots of R before 3/12. The day when SHARES was put in place, most of it disappeared for me.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: United 1k ; SW A+ Preferred; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
They may be useless to you due to your schedule requirements, but many of us have a near 100% success rate over many years. I know we'll miss the GPUs when we start traveling again.

For us, they've been the difference between staying local and seeing many countries all around the world. We're spoiled and cannot imagine traveling across any ocean without them.

If you're flexible, you should be near 100%, so I really don't think you're as flexible as you think you are.
Exactly. GPU's worked for me 2/4 times this year, RPU's 3/4. One GPU didn't clear at the gate on a FRA-IAD flight, but after boarding they came back to Y and moved me up front. Didn't even cash in the GPU - it was credited back to my account. Go figure. Depends on where you travel/are based. If you're in a high 1K-density market, too bad, I guess.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
I convert mine to LH and always book the 748. With 80 or 92 J seats, there's always been one for me.
Hope this isn't too off topic: do you book an economy seat and then get a paper upgrade for that flight? Do you check out the seat map first to see how full it is?

I've read that at some point you will be able to all in to apply a GPU, but not yet?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
today, confirmed 2 x more GPU for TPAC ORD->HKG and HKG->EWR around the Christmas holidays on Tuesday departures. even saw R space for ORD -> SIN. these certs still work for me. however, i'm not based out of of SFO. if i was, i know my experience would likely differ, as I didn't see any availability for SFO routed options.

Last edited by eleeut; Nov 25, 2014 at 8:31 pm
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I have zero success rate on my last few segments on Pacific routes. And that was from full fares. GPU are worth zilch on good approximation.
I am 4/4 this year on transPac GPUs clearing well in advance of flight day. All on the days/destinations I wanted to fly. All on W or V fares. 3 of 4 had R at booking. The 4th was wait-listed, but cleared 4 days after booking (and 4 days before travel). I say GPUs are quite useful on good approximation. YMMV

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If you're flexible, you should be near 100%, so I really don't think you're as flexible as you think you are.
This.^

I am not flexible when it comes to destinations. And yes pre 2012 SWUs often worked. But they stopped once renamed into GPUs.
Flexibility doesn't necessarily mean different destinations. It may mean less direct routings. Such as taking a connection instead of a nonstop. As an example: for me it meant doing DCA-IAH-NRT and NRT-ORD-BWI; instead of the nonstop IAD-NRT. I'll happily take a connection in order to confirm GPU at booking. Again, YMMV
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:39 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by bse118
..All on W or V fares. 3 of 4 had R at booking. The 4th was wait-listed, but cleared 4 days after booking (and 4 days before travel). I say GPUs are quite useful on good approximation. YMMV
It certainly does and hence I am out of this game. A game that at least for full fares worked until this very year.
Flexibility doesn't necessarily mean different destinations. It may mean less direct routings. Such as taking a connection instead of a nonstop..
I live in SINg-SINg - I can't get anywhere on US soil without a connection.

So I doubt that this ever was an issue for me.
Originally Posted by FlyWorld
..I found lots of R before 3/12. The day when SHARES was put in place, most of it disappeared for me.
In my case the waitlists worked quite well before the merger. I'd clear in 80% of riding on cheap fares and in 100% on full fares. But not in TODland anymore.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: bonvoy lifetime titanium, not much else anymore
11/30 DEN - FRA business to first

question about my upgrade chances on UA ticket on Lufthansa (UA 8879 DEN-FRA)

Available Cabins: F4, A4, J4, C4, D4, Z0, P0, Y7, B7, M7, U7, H7, Q7, V7, W7, S7, T7, L0, K0

I don't see any 'R' - is there another cabin I should be looking at?

I am in business on a C class fare, and got the paper upgrade certificate mailed to me. Do I have any chance at getting the upgrade to First based on the wacky letters / numbers above?

Thanks for the help
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
R is a Y-J upgrade on UA metal - completely irrelevant for LH or J-F!!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by boognish24
question about my upgrade chances on UA ticket on Lufthansa (UA 8879 DEN-FRA)

Available Cabins: F4, A4, J4, C4, D4, Z0, P0, Y7, B7, M7, U7, H7, Q7, V7, W7, S7, T7, L0, K0

I don't see any 'R' - is there another cabin I should be looking at?

I am in business on a C class fare, and got the paper upgrade certificate mailed to me. Do I have any chance at getting the upgrade to First based on the wacky letters / numbers above?

Thanks for the help
You need to check LH loads, not UA. LH upgrade inventory is opaque (unlike UA) so all you can do is guess based on how many F seats are available for sale. The closer to F8 the better.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: bonvoy lifetime titanium, not much else anymore
You need to check LH loads, not UA. LH upgrade inventory is opaque (unlike UA) so all you can do is guess based on how many F seats are available for sale. The closer to F8 the better.
got it - appreciate the reply that doesn't just state what I've done wrong, but where I need to look.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.