Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, JFK, ORD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.

:-: United's Global First Lounge located at IAD is for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First. See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html for documentation of the exclusion of non-UA F pax from the IAD GFL.
10/31/2013
This has now been confirmed to be false and an incorrect denial by the IAD GFL staff per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (JFK-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. A pax who arrives in GF (Global First - UA operated flight 3-class aircraft) will be admitted to the GFL. A GS or pax who arrives on other metal will not be admitted on that basis.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Costco
IFC Lounge in LAX, given flying on UA for one leg?

All,

I need some information.

I am flying JFK-LAX-ICN.

I will be flying FC to Lax on UA and then connecting to Thai Airways from Lax to ICN.

I heard that the *A lounge in TBIT is not that great (do they even have a FC section). So before heading over to the TBIT, I wanted to lounge around the UA FC lounge. I wanted to know, if this is possible, given that I am flying on Thai Air on the outbound.

So my plan is to head to the FC lounge and lounge for two hours or so and then walk over to the TBIT.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I am not very familiar with LAX layout, but with a TG First Class boarding pass, you should have no problem gaining entrance to a UA First Class Lounge.

I will leave it to others more familiar with the layout to address any issues with how to get between the terminals, etc.

Enjoy TG First...one of my favorites.

Edit: Not sure if you realize it, but if you are on United First between JFK and LAX, you should have access to First class lounge at JFK as well...assuming this is P.S. service flight...which I think all direct flights between JFK and LAX are....

Last edited by goodeats21; Jul 23, 2012 at 8:01 am Reason: added PS lounge info
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:05 am

Where is the International FC lounge at JFK?

I have been to the business class lounge.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
New York, NY (JFK) United Global First Lounge - United Global First customers Terminal 7, one level above Ticket Counter

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...s/default.aspx
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by muc2asia
Where is the International FC lounge at JFK?

I have been to the business class lounge.
It's to the left of entering the United Club at JFK. The club agents should scan your boarding pass and see you're in F, and invite you into the IFCL.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by muc2asia
All,

I need some information.

I am flying JFK-LAX-ICN.

I will be flying FC to Lax on UA and then connecting to Thai Airways from Lax to ICN.

I heard that the *A lounge in TBIT is not that great (do they even have a FC section). So before heading over to the TBIT, I wanted to lounge around the UA FC lounge. I wanted to know, if this is possible, given that I am flying on Thai Air on the outbound.

So my plan is to head to the FC lounge and lounge for two hours or so and then walk over to the TBIT.
Since when is TG flying F exLAX?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Since when is TG flying F exLAX?
They just started. TG is flying 747s Lax-Icn-Bkk...they got rid of the non-stop.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Recent experiences from last week flying JFK-LAX-SFO in F.

New York JFK: No issue getting access, a quick scan of my PS F BP and I was in. Lounge is really old and rundown. No windows, the bathroom seems like something you'd find in a public school and the chairs are falling apart. Tough to find outlets (there was one group of four under a table and a line of phones from people on top of the table). All the beverages are out including soft drinks and juices, why wouldn't these be in a refrigerator?

Food included: Tuna-fish sandwiches (THAT'S First Class), fruit, crackers, cookies, nuts, cheese, vegetables and dip. Inside a small fridge were shrimp and cocktail sauce and sausages on a plate covered with saran wrap, looked very unclassy. Booze did include real champagne.

Los Angeles: Again, no issue getting access with my BP. Agent on duty here was superb, one of the best UA agents I've ever met. She was identified as "Global Services" by her name tag and she spent 20 minutes getting my award ticket fixed (I'd been rebooked and was in Y on the LAX-SFO segment but she got me back into F). This lounge is actually much nicer. The furniture is again old but there are more outlets, there's a gorgeous mural on the wall and the bathroom is better.

Here the food is all display only and a roving bartender gets what you need from the kitchen. She also refused a tip. Food included soba noodles, shrimp, cheap sushi, fruit, salads and nibbles such as crackers cookies and the like.

Full report is here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post18987393
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:12 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Arriving SQ F departing UA F on an award. Will I get access to IFL, UC or neither?

Also, had a bit of an issue with US Air agent at BOS regarding access to US Club. Traveling US Shuttle F BOS-LGA, SQ J JFK-FRA same day. Was told that a same day Star Alliance international departure to Europe/Asia/etc alone was not sufficient for access. Agent said were I flying US Envoy same day out of CLT/PHL I would be permitted access. It was a moot point since I had my Amex Plat and could still gain access but still frustrating they do not know the applicable rules. Is this assertion correct?

Thanks.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Departing UA F will allow access to First Class lounge, assuming there is one. You do not indicate which airport.

Award ticket does not matter for access.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 6:54 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
You DO NOT have to be departing that airport for admittance. As an example, if you are on flight 345 from LAX-IAD connecting the SAME DAY to a TATL flight in IAD then you CAN use the lounge in LAX and IAD. If your flying from SEA-ORD-FRA then you can use the Global First lounge in ORD but the UCLUB in SEA as there is no First class lounge in SEA

I wrote down word for word what I was told. (She read the rules to me) The rules are not in SHARES, but rather a very clear notice all the lounges have posted right on the desk (that you can ask to see if you have a problem) - here goes. My short hand kinda sucks. These are the EXACT rules all Global First class lounges have (can you count how many times the words "Global First Class" are used?

:-: United's Global First Lounges located at JFK, ORD, IAD, SFO and LAX are for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more then two classes. Passengers must be holding a .same day ticket for flights departing or arriving from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific as well as flights serving Southern South America, Africa and the Middle East. Passengers connecting to / from other United / United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.
OK, looking for confirmation of my interpretation of the above. I am arriving in SFO from MUC in LH F and connecting to UA Domestic F to LAX. Since I am arriving in Intl F on a *A carrier, I should have access to the GFL in SFO, correct?

As a side note, I also believe I will have access to the SQ lounge (I think it is open at the right time - I arrive at 7pm and depart at 10:35pm)
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Departing UA F will allow access to First Class lounge, assuming there is one. You do not indicate which airport.

Award ticket does not matter for access.

Thanks for the reply. The subject flight is a domestic departure from SFO, so I assume the answer is neither UC or IFL, right?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Thanks for the reply. The subject flight is a domestic departure from SFO, so I assume the answer is neither UC or IFL, right?
Oh, sorry. For some reason I thought you indicated an international UA F departure....

Are you no status with *A?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Your question is very close to mine. Arriving Intl *A F (non-UA) into SFO and connecting onto a domestic UA flight...GFL access or no. I have a slight leg up on you though because even if I can't get GFL access, I will definitely get UC access due to my *G status and same day international travel.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
SFO GFL question

What is the SFO GFL like (as compared to the ORD GFL)?

Larger or smaller? Food/Beverage service?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.