Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
from MileagePlus Program Rules
7. Accrued mileage, Premier (and/or Million Miler) status levels, Premier (and/or Million Miler) benefits, Premier Qualifying Credits and certificates do not constitute property of the Member and are not transferable except as set forth herein. Accrued mileage may be transferred to another MileagePlus account through United’s Transfer Miles Program. Members must comply with the Transfer Miles Program Terms and Conditions found on united.com. In the event of the death or divorce of a Member, United may, in its sole discretion, credit all or a portion of such Member’s accrued mileage to authorized persons upon receipt of documentation satisfactory to United and payment of applicable fees.
Reports are the administrative fee is $75 / $150. There is no longer a fee.

You will need a death certificate and signed (and notarized) affidavit attesting that you are the executor of the estate. Then you contact UA MileagePlus Customer Support..

The executor can designate multiple recipients.

While not formally allowed by the rules, it is also possible if you have the account holder's login information to use that account to spend the miles directly from the account.

Print Wikipost

Miles transfer / usage upon member death

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2012, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Miles transfer / usage upon member death

Now that CO and UA have merged, what happens when a MP member dies and miles are to be transferred to an estate beneficiary's account? I cannot find any information about this on UA website. My Mother is in hospice and won't last too much longer. As her executor and beneficiary I want to have the correct documents, like a death certificate, to be able to transfer her MP miles to my account.
Old May 15, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by susiesan
Now that CO and UA have merged, what happens when a MP member dies and miles are to be transferred to an estate beneficiary's account? I cannot find any information about this on UA website. My Mother is in hospice and won't last too much longer. As her executor and beneficiary I want to have the correct documents, like a death certificate, to be able to transfer her MP miles to my account.
They will do it for you for a $75 fee. My dad died last October and at that time I consolidated all of his miles in CO account and emailed the service center a copy of his death certificate and request to transfer his miles to my mom's account. They emailed and said there was a $75 fee which I called and paid. The miles were transferred to her account within a week. I did not have to provide any documentation that my mom was the beneficiary of his estate...but she did have the same address as him. You may need to provide more info since you're not a spouse (or maybe they'll just accept the death cert and $75 and call it a day).
Old May 15, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
I found this:

According to UA's MP Program Rules:

Accrued mileage and certificates do not constitute property of the member. Neither accrued mileage nor certificates are transferable (i) upon death, (ii) as part of a domestic relations matter, or (iii) otherwise by operation of law.

But this thread seems to say a different thing:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ed-2010-a.html
Old May 15, 2012, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
I suggest not notifying United and just redeem the miles for the member's heirs as needed.
Old May 15, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K [ex-GS],1+MM, SPG PLAT
Originally Posted by 6rugrats
I found this:

Accrued mileage and certificates do not constitute property of the member. Neither accrued mileage nor certificates are transferable (i) upon death, (ii) as part of a domestic relations matter, or (iii) otherwise by operation of law.
While this quote is correct and has been around several years, I never have been denied the opportunity to transfers miles both when my Father died and my Mother died. Each had 3 or 4 accounts ... so about 750,000 miles were transfered to my sister or me.
Old May 15, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
So sorry to hear about your mother.

As mre5765 suggested, if there is a significant amount of miles left in the account, it may be easier (and cheaper) to just redeem the miles out of the existing account.
Old May 15, 2012, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It depends....it could be useful to transfer the miles into an elite account.
Old May 15, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It depends....it could be useful to transfer the miles into an elite account.
I wonder if there's a risk that UA will go by the letter of the law and cancel the miles, or if in practice they always allow transfers despite what the fine print says.
Old May 15, 2012, 5:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I hope UA will continue the long PMUA policy (as the FT thread documents regardless of what was in the T&Cs) of mileage transfer upon the death of a member.
A close friend in the past month moved >1M spousal miles on Delta even thought their T&Cs had the same statement.
Old May 16, 2012, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hawk209
So sorry to hear about your mother.

As mre5765 suggested, if there is a significant amount of miles left in the account, it may be easier (and cheaper) to just redeem the miles out of the existing account.
My Mom has a substantial balance, enough for 2 business class tix to Argentina, which is what I plan to do with her miles. But I'm not ready to redeem yet. The earliest I can get away to take this trip is fall of 2013. And after redeeming there will still be a lot of miles in her account.

I sent UA an email asking about this situation. I have not received a response yet. I went through this in 2007 when my Dad passed away. He had miles in 3 different airline plans. His CO and DL miles transferred to my Mom, no problem, no cost. His AA miles went to me with a $50 charge. But that was 5 years ago, premerger.
Old May 16, 2012, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by 6rugrats

I'm unsure if there are differences of law w/r/t death and divorce - as IANAL - but I CAN tell you that in the State of Illinois it doesn't mean SQUAT what UA's program rules say about transferability as part of a domestic relations matter.

A Judge issues an order. The miles are transferred. End of Story.

Dave
Old May 16, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by mre5765
I suggest not notifying United and just redeem the miles for the member's heirs as needed.
+1, this is what some friends did. They just booked tickets out of the deceased's account. No mess, no fuss. Since your anticipated travel is a ways out.....just remember to keep the miles active.
Old May 16, 2012, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by bseller
I'm unsure if there are differences of law w/r/t death and divorce - as IANAL - but I CAN tell you that in the State of Illinois it doesn't mean SQUAT what UA's program rules say about transferability as part of a domestic relations matter.

A Judge issues an order. The miles are transferred. End of Story.

Dave
The legal fees obtain and enforce the order alone could consume the value of the two business class award tix the executor plans on booking.

What UA doesn't know, can't hurt UA, or the estate.
Old May 17, 2012, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
+1, this is what some friends did. They just booked tickets out of the deceased's account. No mess, no fuss. Since your anticipated travel is a ways out.....just remember to keep the miles active.
If I can't transfer upon her death to my account, I plan to do this and not let UA know she died. Other using her MP credit card, which I really shouldn't do after she passes, what other ways could I keep the miles active without flying on UA? I've only just begun to get reaquainted with the ins and outs of the MP program in anticipation of using all these miles. I used to know how to work the CO plan but things may have changed after the merger.
Old May 17, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by susiesan
If I can't transfer upon her death to my account, I plan to do this and not let UA know she died. Other using her MP credit card, which I really shouldn't do after she passes, what other ways could I keep the miles active without flying on UA? I've only just begun to get reaquainted with the ins and outs of the MP program in anticipation of using all these miles. I used to know how to work the CO plan but things may have changed after the merger.
Magazine subscription is a cheap way to keep account active.

https://magazinerewards.mileageplus....0/magPage.html

Here are other options by redeeming miles.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...s/default.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.