Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Asiana Award Reservation CANCELLED without even telling me!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asiana Award Reservation CANCELLED without even telling me!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2012, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by colpuck
As I said above there are several threads on the inability for OZ to process tickets. The only problems have been OZ's end. I've personally had problems with OZ's system so go figure.
I don't remember such threads on the PMUA forum - so maybe it's a SHARES issue. Not the first, won't be the last.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 4:36 pm

have had numerous awards on OZ, and never a problem
Old Apr 7, 2012, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-Plat DL-Plat (did status match on DL before losing EXP on AA)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I don't remember such threads on the PMUA forum - so maybe it's a SHARES issue. Not the first, won't be the last.
I don't think you'll find the problem at pmUA, but I did find this on pmCO:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ease-help.html
Old Apr 7, 2012, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
The advice already given here is good.... ALWAYS call a partner award airline and, when selecting your seats, ask specifically 'can you confirm you have a ticket number against this booking?'

I know you can often select seats on line, but making the call and then adding the extra step is important. Over on the US forum (star alliance award ticketing thread) there have been other cases where ticket numbers have not been transmitted in time and reservations have been cancelled. It doesn't happen often (indeed it is rare), but the impact can be high. And all it takes is one time.

I personally have had issues with SQ for this very same thing. But thankfully caught it on the call to them.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 7:16 pm
Community Director Emerita

I found this thread helpful. My husband has an award ticket, booked with UA miles, on Asiana. I had him call today to get his seat assignment. The award was booked a week or so ago, and the Asiana agent was able to bring up the booking. However, she needed the UA ticket number. He was able to give it to her, and the ticket is now secure.

The return is also on Asiana but booked with bmi. The bmi ticket number was on that respective booking.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K->AS MVP Gold 75K, IHG Spire
I think it's an UA reservation system problem...

A similar issue happened to me. I made an award reservation. The itinerary has a SQ and a NH segment. The system cancelled my SQ and NH legs without any notification! I was then told by the premier agent that the ticket did not ticket and the partner airlines cannot hold a ticket for more than x number of days... It is a bit annoying frankly...
Old Apr 8, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Sure glad I read this, I called Asiana for my leg as part of a multi carrier and they didn't have the ticket numbers. I was able to give them to them over the phone and it looks like everything's copacetic now.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Never had a problem with this on PMUA-issued OZ reservations.

Sounds like it may be a SHARES-OZ interconnection issue.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, HH Gold, and SPG Gold
also happened to me

Originally Posted by vrichard
Went online to check my reservations as I am doing daily now with all the mess....

I had made award travel reservation online on Asiana a few days ago, and received the confirmation and ticket number from United by email.

This morning, the reservation is no longer there.
I click the 'Inactive' tab, and it's there as CANCELLED!

I call 1k line. 30 mins later I'm told, sorry, our system didn't give Asiana the ticket number, so they cancelled the reservation after holding it for 3 days, we tried to get the seat back, but Asiana won't give it to us even though they see that you had the reservation. (The flight in question has C9 D9 availability.)

The only thing United will do is give me a seat on UA with different routing.
Unacceptable.

I am in state of shock.

(I had a second reservation on Asiana that I made at the same time, so I asked agent to check on that - after another long wait, she came back on the line and said they gave Asiana the ticket number so now it won't be cancelled. She told me that there is TECHNICAL ISSUE AT UNITED and none of the ticket numbers are getting to Asiana, and that probably this second reservation would have been cancelled by Asiana later today because they didn't have the ticket number on that one either.)
Old Apr 8, 2012, 6:39 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by channa
Never had a problem with this on PMUA-issued OZ reservations.

Sounds like it may be a SHARES-OZ interconnection issue.
Channa, Channa, Channa, I don't know why you continue to make these unfounded accusations about the new United software. This has never happened to me personally on PMCO or COdbaUA, therefore it is impossible for this to have ever happened....
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by danville 1K
Channa, Channa, Channa, I don't know why you continue to make these unfounded accusations about the new United software. This has never happened to me personally on PMCO or COdbaUA, therefore it is impossible for this to have ever happened....
Drama, there's nothing wrong with United's software or IT. Everything is perfect and getting better every day. There are plenty of "merger is a failure" threads to vent your spleen in. This is not one of them. Why? Because somebody declared that to be the absolute truth and therefore it must be so. He and Darth Seder know everything. Don't they? If they post something it must be true, right?

Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:29 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
The advice already given here is good.... ALWAYS call a partner award airline and, when selecting your seats, ask specifically 'can you confirm you have a ticket number against this booking?'

I know you can often select seats on line, but making the call and then adding the extra step is important. Over on the US forum (star alliance award ticketing thread) there have been other cases where ticket numbers have not been transmitted in time and reservations have been cancelled. It doesn't happen often (indeed it is rare), but the impact can be high. And all it takes is one time.
That might not quite work for OZ. They do seem to be doing something odd; for instance, when I did my US redemption, they confirmed that US ticketed it and sent them the info (with a 037 ticket number). When I checked in, all was well. But my boarding pass had a new ticket number on it that started with 203 instead of US's 037. Well, my KIX-ICN one did, my ICN-PVG one started with 303 instead and the check-in agent handwrote "KIX KK" on it (presumably so the ICN people wouldn't drop me? I know I wouldn't have had the money to pay for that segment in cash if worst came to worst).

The problem is why OZ feels that it has to create a new ticket number, and it could be the answer to that one person's question of why a reservation and ticket number isn't enough.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by jamar
That might not quite work for OZ. They do seem to be doing something odd; for instance, when I did my US redemption, they confirmed that US ticketed it and sent them the info (with a 037 ticket number). When I checked in, all was well. But my boarding pass had a new ticket number on it that started with 203 instead of US's 037. Well, my KIX-ICN one did, my ICN-PVG one started with 303 instead and the check-in agent handwrote "KIX KK" on it (presumably so the ICN people wouldn't drop me? I know I wouldn't have had the money to pay for that segment in cash if worst came to worst).

The problem is why OZ feels that it has to create a new ticket number, and it could be the answer to that one person's question of why a reservation and ticket number isn't enough.
Asiana ticket stock is 988 I believe? Not sure is the 203 and 303 is the coupon sequence? An airline shouldn't be reissuing a ticket unless there are irrops and you are getting a completely new ticket which that airline is paying for.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by vrichard
If you aren't already working for the new UA, you probably should. You have the [new to pmUA] right attitude.

I have booked many award travel flights pmUA on partners including SQ, OZ, TG and NH and NEVER had this problem. In fact, I booked an OZ award flight on the CO website prior to system integration, and it ticketed and I flew it without any issue.

Now, what goes on behind the scenes is likely speculation --- maybe a real person has to do something manual at UA to get the ticket info to OZ - I don't really know, and I shouldn't have to care. Maybe before 3/3 they had time to do these things [most of the time?]. I don't really know, and I shouldn't have to.

But, to say that the problem is not UA's that it's OZ because they have the worst IT -- wow! What a perfect attitude for this new environment. You are hired.

By the way, I had also booked pre-system-integration CO-operated flight HNL-IAH connecting to AC codeshare. There was NO WAY to get a seat assignment. CO would say to me, we can request a seat, AC has to issue it. I called AC and they told me that it was a CO problem - the CO system wouldn't talk to the AC system. AC can't assign a seat, CO has to, but the systems don't talk correctly. AC told me if it was a UNITED-issued ticket (this is pre-integration), there would be no problem to select a seat. I will save you the trouble: colpuck says: DRAMA - this is a confirmed problem with the AC system that existed BEFORE the merger and has nothing to do with [UA/CO].
Not exactly fare, I have booked two OZ segments one through AC and one through CO (both prior to the merger) and both times something went wrong with the OZ segments.

With regards to the CO booked OZ segment, after a re-issue to go from X(economy) to O(First) the OZ computer lost the following segment ICN-FRA completely and only after working with CO for a few days, did OZ manage to find the segment and re-instate it.

The AC segment was far worse, it showed HK1 (Holding Confirmed i.e. booked) on AC's end, but OZ was unable to see the segment. IF an OZ agent manually read the PNR they were able to see the coupon generated for the segment, they just did not have a reservation.

It took a trip to JFK and working with the OZ ticket agent who used my cell phone to call AC and work with the agent to fix the issue. In the end she had to send a telex to Seoul ( I guess), and two days later she called me to let me know that the segment had been restored.

OZ has issues, their product is really nice, their IT system is a big fail.

Dan
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Asiana ticket stock is 988 I believe? Not sure is the 203 and 303 is the coupon sequence? An airline shouldn't be reissuing a ticket unless there are irrops and you are getting a completely new ticket which that airline is paying for.
A closer look shows that the OZ "ticket number" on my boarding pass is 14 digits, not 13. A comparison with the number printed on my just-received CC statement shows that it's just the US ticket number with a 2 and 3 in front, respectively. Which would correspond with the fact that the OZ legs of my trip are segments 2 and 3 respectively.

In which case:

Ticket number issued by partner: (partner code:037)(ticket no)
"Ticket number" as seen/used by OZ: (segment no:2/3)(partner code:037)(ticket no)

False alarm about it being an entirely new ticket number, but still quite curious as my initial segment on CA only shows "ETKT:037xxxxxxxxxx" compared to OZ's "ETKT: (2/3)037xxxxxxxxxx"...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.