Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Transborder Pearson Priority Lane as a 1K. Yes or No?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2011, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE

From what I've gleaned from FT and conversations with UA's great staff at YYZ, I'm supposed to have access to the priority security line in the transborder area at YYZ. NEXUS doesn't get priority there, unlike the other parts of the terminal. Unfortunately, it only works about 30% of the time. What gives? Should I stand my ground and demand a supervisor?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 5:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My understanding is that the information you've gleaned is wrong.

That priority security lane is for AC Elite and AmEx premium card holders. *A elite doesn't get access.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by sbm12
My understanding is that the information you've gleaned is wrong.

That priority security lane is for AC Elite and AmEx premium card holders. *A elite doesn't get access.
This thread says otherwise:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ity-yyz-g.html

So what gives?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 5:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by N1120A
This thread says otherwise:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ity-yyz-g.html

So what gives?
I'm going based on what I saw on the signs 6 weeks ago and what my actual experience was trying to use the facilities. I cannot speak to what others reported over a year ago.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 5:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
I'm going based on what I saw on the signs 6 weeks ago and what my actual experience was trying to use the facilities. I cannot speak to what others reported over a year ago.
+1 a few weeks ago - no go for this 1K
Old Sep 20, 2011, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Part of the problem is the signs. They have always said that, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are limiting. The OP on the other thread was quoting a GTAA press release.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by N1120A
From what I've gleaned from FT and conversations with UA's great staff at YYZ, I'm supposed to have access to the priority security line in the transborder area at YYZ. NEXUS doesn't get priority there, unlike the other parts of the terminal. Unfortunately, it only works about 30% of the time. What gives? Should I stand my ground and demand a supervisor?
Unfortunately this is incorrect. Priority security is only for AC Elites and Amex Platinum (?) card members.

I once tried to 'stand my ground' but even the supervisor wouldn't budge. It is annoying and silly considering that AC Elites have access to UA priority security checks. I believe the answer is that there is some agreement with Amex (either with the airport or AC) that precludes other *G and first class passengers from 'officially' using that lane.

However I have had decent luck when in United First Class on getting through the that line. I used to try every week and would occasionally be stopped. I've now switched tactics and only try to go to that line when the regular line is severely backed up. In my experience on Thursday around 3 PM (prime time) the regular line moves pretty quick. YYZ security is usually pretty quick because they have so many lines open. TSA should take note how it should be done! haha.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:08 am

Wirelessly posted (Verizon BlackBerry 9630: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.524 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

*A Gold flying AC and I have not once been stopped on the priority lane.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
I flew in out of Pearson last week and tried to get access to the elite line, no dice. Only AC elites are eligible and I asked 2 separate agents.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
My experience as a 1K who transits YYZ 1/2 dozen times each year is no - AC elite and Amex Premium customers only. The line matrons are very strict about this even when the regular line is horrendously backed up.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Membership has its Privileges... The deal is primarily with Amex but since the AeroPlatAmex card is accepted (along with regular Plat cards), AC elites and premium passengers are also included. (Always wondered if they'd accept the Amex Black card.)
Old Sep 20, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I was passing through about a month ago and I asked the line agent about using it; she allowed me into the priority security line - after she inspected my BP, as a UA 1K traveling in CO Y (on a UX plane. )
Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by neo_781
In my experience on Thursday around 3 PM (prime time) the regular line moves pretty quick. YYZ security is usually pretty quick because they have so many lines open. TSA should take note how it should be done! haha.
IMO, the security line doesn't move so quick because of so many lines open, the reason it moves so quick is because any bottleneck is usually at customs, and the flow of people coming through there manages the traffic for security. Get Nexus, you get to skip it there, too. Since there is no pre-clearance in the US, TSA can't do anything to match this.

In regards to the original topic, yes, elite line is for AC elites only and the right Amex cardholders. I've had some luck when in F on UA, but usually not. Since transborder security lines are rarely an issue, really there isn't too much of a difference.

And to the OP, I agree, most of UA's YYZ staff are great!
Old Jun 27, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
1K traveling on 1st class this past Monday. No luck with the priority security line. The agent there insisted it's only for AC elites.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 2:17 pm

I got in using a UA First Class boarding pass on Sunday (6/24).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.