Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LAX Meltdown; Scary Situation, unbelievable agents...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX Meltdown; Scary Situation, unbelievable agents...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:59 am

terrible....
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kb1992
A big

This is expected. sCO philosophy has been "all elites are equal".

In fact, kettles who pay $69 TOD upgrades are preferred over loyal 100K flyers.

Short term petty cash is more important than long term loyalty to SMI/J and his CO team.

Have people noticed that after 3/3, suddenly you see more inexperienced passengers in first class on planes that are elite heavy?
What a pointless "contribution". No matter how many times you say it, the "all elites are equal" never was part of any CO culture. It makes for great hyperbole, but that's it.

This is a problem with some bad agents, nothing more, nothing less. It's a big issue and it needs to be resolved. Let's not extrapolate too far, ok?

Last edited by l etoile; Mar 19, 2012 at 11:20 am Reason: personal attack removed per tos
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
What stuck out to me is "This merger is your fault." Now why would employees blame the merger on customers? Because they're "cheap" and forcing consolidation in the industry?

Seeing all these threads shows me I made the right decision in ditching UA.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Superguy
What stuck out to me is "This merger is your fault." Now why would employees blame the merger on customers? Because they're "cheap" and forcing consolidation in the industry? :confused
Not only that, but you really have to wonder what impact the merger had on this incident, which involved a PMCO route, with PMCO aircraft, and PMCO ground personnel.

How did the merger have any impact on any of this, other than emotionally?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
This is very sad to hear. The agents and pax are getting it from every direction and all are probably fed up. This does not excuse any of the actions decribed above but explains it I think. No matter what the situation though, it does not give the right for a gate agent or pax to be out of control as what is described above. No winners in those situations.

I am lucky to have not had to travel since the merger so lets hope my upcoming flights are not so dramatic.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Typical reaction of putting loyalty last by rude PMCO employees.

Pax of anykind should never be treated this way
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
WOW, that is un real.

I had a horrific check in experiance at IAD, where voices were raised and I ended up standing silently between a pax and a UA agent looking for an exit .
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
cell phone video or i don't believe it lol
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Superguy
What stuck out to me is "This merger is your fault." Now why would employees blame the merger on customers?
During Ch11 I saw UA employees blaming bankruptcy on customers. "If people like you didn't demand such low fares, we'd be able to make money and my job wouldn't be at stake." It's standard in UA culture to regard the customer as a problem to be gotten rid of. Don't you remember the UA FA in the studio audience at Letterman years ago who referred to the customers as "the enemy" on national television?

When the employees start disclaiming responsibility for anything happening at the airline, though ("I just work here, this isn't my problem." "I don't need to deal with this, if you have problems with United, I'll just go home.")... that's a big warning sign. SMI/J better check his brake lines before he drives home.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:09 am

I was also supposed to be on that flight. I arrived at LAX earlier that morning from Australia after having to rebook because the SYD-SFO flight on the 18th was also canceled due to a mechanical problem in SFO.

The reps were far from helpful. The reps not only weren't helpful they gave incorrect information and even ran away and left the gate desk completely unattended for about 25 minutes.They claim they didn't even know that the new plane was much smaller than the original one. I was one of the lucky people who was denied boarding. One employee who was handling meal vouchers, looked at her watch and said I've been working enough today and just walked away. I wish I knew her name.

Having been told numerous times I had a seat on the plane and because I was already traveling for over 24 hours, I folded. They offered a flight the next day from LAX to JFK but I was able to convince them to give me an LAX to IAD later that night then a flight from IAD to EWR. I finally landed at EWR at 9:30 this morning, 12 hours have I would have if UA090 was on time

Flight 90 landed at EWR about 7 hours late, at 4am

I really hope tom UA management sees this thread and is fully briefed on what was a horrible, very mismanaged, out of control situation.

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I am shocked that anyone would pay $2400 for a traveling experience on UACO.

The ground handling sounds very SFOesque, I feel with the OP.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 19, 2012 at 11:16 am Reason: unnecessary
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by BearX220
During Ch11 I saw UA employees blaming bankruptcy on customers. "If people like you didn't demand such low fares, we'd be able to make money and my job wouldn't be at stake." It's standard in UA culture to regard the customer as a problem to be gotten rid of. Don't you remember the UA FA in the studio audience at Letterman years ago who referred to the customers as "the enemy" on national television?

When the employees start disclaiming responsibility for anything happening at the airline, though ("I just work here, this isn't my problem." "I don't need to deal with this, if you have problems with United, I'll just go home.")... that's a big warning sign. SMI/J better check his brake lines before he drives home.
The only difference here, is this was an all PMCO situation, not involving any UA employees...
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:11 am

Yikes! Can't wait to see how UAI spins this ...
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by star_world
What a pointless "contribution". No matter how many times you say it, the "all elites are equal" never was part of any CO culture. It makes for great hyperbole, but that's it.
First, did you read OP at all?

I was one of the lucky victims, told I was being denied my 2nd row seat due to my status. "we would rather let someone who hasn't experienced united before a chance to fly in the BusinessFirst cabin than you" was the line I was fed

This is actually worse than "all elites are equal". They are denying F paying elites while allowing some inexperienced to fly BF.

Second, there are many, many reports that TOD upgrades are offered to non-status pax. PMCO has been doing this for some time and now it spreads to combined airline.

Third, all elites are equal: is part of PMCO culture. Boarding process, Elite Access, etc.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:13 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Typical reaction of putting loyalty last by rude PMCO employees.

Pax of anykind should never be treated this way
There are plenty of rude PMUA agents at LAX, too, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.