Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Purchasing extra PQM/EQMs on United via Elite Maximizer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchasing extra PQM/EQMs on United via Elite Maximizer

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by PlaneJane
My offer increased from around 11-cents/mile yesterday (and recent past) to about 13-cents/mile today.
Mine are all still at 10 cents/mile (2 cents for base miles, plus 8 cents for PQM accelerator).
Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH D, MAR PLT EL LT
I think offer prices are also based on what level you are. Perhaps the poster just change status.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:55 pm

I have a flight leaving in december 2012 (2250 miles) and returning in january 2013 (2250 miles). It's giving me the option to purchase double miles and premier accelerator on the whole trip (4500 miles). If I purchase this now, would all 4500 miles apply to my elite qualification this year? Or will half the premier miles apply to qualification this year and half towards qualification in 2013?

I wasn't able to find this answer on the United webpage. Just the wording "Premier Accelerator is applicable on actual flight miles only", not sure if this applies to this situation. Thanks for any advice.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:05 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by pdk560
I have a flight leaving in december 2012 (2250 miles) and returning in january 2013 (2250 miles). It's giving me the option to purchase double miles and premier accelerator on the whole trip (4500 miles). If I purchase this now, would all 4500 miles apply to my elite qualification this year? Or will half the premier miles apply to qualification this year and half towards qualification in 2013?

I wasn't able to find this answer on the United webpage. Just the wording "Premier Accelerator is applicable on actual flight miles only", not sure if this applies to this situation. Thanks for any advice.
When you buy them. It has nothing to do w when the flights are as you can cancel the flights after buying the miles
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
When you buy them. It has nothing to do w when the flights are as you can cancel the flights after buying the miles
Great - thank you for the quick helpful answer.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:28 am

Hi, I'm relatively new here (or I should say, posting-wise) and would appreciate some help from any of you experts. Pardon any incorrect usage of terms. My husband is currently approx. 21,000 miles short of 1K and I'm really hoping to help get him there without too much pain involved (his schedule is too tight for multiple events of mileage running). His work booked all of his tickets this year so he wasn't even aware of the EQM/PQM/RDM (whatever it's appropriately called) maximizer buy-up. But, of course, in reading this thread, now I am. So, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a short itinerary that could take advantage of all of these things to help him get to that threshold? (I'd even be open to considering first/business-class if it could make a significant difference.) Or alternatively, did I just read and understand correctly that I could book a refundable ticket, pay for it, it will then allow me to purchase the EQMs, but then I could cancel the ticket? Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited by travel_nerd; Oct 27, 2012 at 9:29 am Reason: Forgot to qualify something
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:00 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by travel_nerd
My husband is currently approx. 21,000 miles short of 1K and I'm really hoping to help get him there without too much pain involved (his schedule is too tight for multiple events of mileage running).
It would really help if we knew your location @:-)

Of course that only applies if there's a possibility of a MR, but if schedule really is too tight for that then it's a moot point.

Too bad you didn't find this thread a month ago when prices to buy EQM/PQMs were lower. OTOH, they will only go WAY up as we get closer to end of year, so if you don't mind spending the bucks to get 6 SWU/GPU plus 2 additional RPUs then do it ASAP.

21K miles is a r/t to Asia or 2 r/t to Europe or Hawaii. I exclude South America because that tends to be way too expensive. Look in Mileage Run forum for possible MRs from your location, they will most likely be much cheaper than buying the miles, especially this late in the year.

And of course if you can do one MR, you would only need to buy half the miles

And MRs don't have to be on UA, just be careful that you get 100% qualifying miles - usually not a problem for US, but many/most Asian carriers offer few, if any EQM/PQMs on cheap fares.

EmailKid
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Or alternatively, did I just read and understand correctly that I could book a refundable ticket, pay for it, it will then allow me to purchase the EQMs, but then I could cancel the ticket? Thanks for the help in advance!
Yes you can cancel the underlying ticket with no penalty and kept the Maximer PQMs.

For 21K PQMs (and the required RDMs) you are likely talking $3K or so.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: UA: MM
I was just offered PQMs at $0.08/mile on a brand new ticket. Didn't bite. Went back in to the reservation later and they were up to $0.10/mile.

FWIW
DLM
Old Oct 27, 2012, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
It would really help if we knew your location @:-)

EmailKid
Thanks for all the tips! We're located in Los Angeles.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes you can cancel the underlying ticket with no penalty and kept the Maximer PQMs.

For 21K PQMs (and the required RDMs) you are likely talking $3K or so.
Thank you ... that definitely sounds like where we might need to be going if he can't do a run, but out of curiosity, does the airline frown on this sort of thing? Because I can understand purchasing one refundable ticket, buying the miles and canceling, but if you do it multiple times (being that there's a lot of miles involved in this and assuming that they'll only offer the amount of miles that the flight actually flies), will they look at it as if you're trying to scam them or are they accepting of this practice?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 28, 2012 at 12:31 am Reason: merge
Old Oct 27, 2012, 2:43 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
... but out of curiosity, does the airline frown on this sort of thing?
They probably welcome the practice, especially when the price per mile goes up at the end of the year. Why else would they do it? UA Insider has presence on this board, so they know we do this, and could easily stop it, but for them it's more revenue than if you were to fly a few transcons, where price per mile is much lower.

EmailKid
Old Oct 27, 2012, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
They probably welcome the practice, especially when the price per mile goes up at the end of the year. Why else would they do it? UA Insider has presence on this board, so they know we do this, and could easily stop it, but for them it's more revenue than if you were to fly a few transcons, where price per mile is much lower.

EmailKid
Thanks for the heads up! Much appreciated
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
No offer?

I just made a new booking on united.com and did not get an offer to purchase additional miles. Is the offer a random chance or did I miss something. The only offer I got was to upgrade one segment.

Thanks for your help
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by martusd
I just made a new booking on united.com and did not get an offer to purchase additional miles. Is the offer a random chance or did I miss something. The only offer I got was to upgrade one segment.

Thanks for your help
Wait until it tickets and then revisit.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:41 am

So, I'm about 900 miles from hitting 1K with no more flying planned for this year. Best option looks to be purchase a ticket, buy the EQMs, then cancel the ticket. Would a 500-mile one way ticket be long enough to get the 900 EQMs? I obviously don't want to buy more miles than needed. Guessing it'll be around $150?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.