Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Rebrands Premium Cabins, Upgrades Food, Entertainment, Amenities

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Rebrands Premium Cabins, Upgrades Food, Entertainment, Amenities

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
I would like E+ to be called EconomyFirst.
Love it, +1!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
I would like E+ to be called EconomyFirst.
Agreed, but some how they need to work First into the E- product brand. Because we wouldn't want to demean any customer: everybody is first class.

Originally Posted by sxf24
Who cares what the cabins are called as long as the product and service provided is improved and consistently applied across the fleet.

Of course, there are some who will complain about anything...
Conscious beings don't care for new speak and in addition there is a practical issue. Some employers will pay for business class, but few will pay for first class. I've had problems trying to book first class cabins with 38 inch pitch on long hauls, and no problems booking more expensive business class cabins with lie flat pitch.

That said, if the soft product in pmua business class is improved (and there have been consistent reports that BF is better) then this is excellent news. I think under SMI/J, the soft pmua business class was better than LH and NH, so this bodes well.

Last edited by mre5765; Feb 17, 2012 at 10:44 am
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
+1 to all. What a cluster. They really need to work the word "Premier" into these as well. They don't use that term enough.
I'm thinking "PremierEconomy" for E+. That way they can lure in some comparison shoppers who are looking at the premium economy products that are actually a significant improvement, like on Virgin, NZ, and BA.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I don't care what they call them. If they choose to be stupid about how they name their cabins, that's fine with me. At the end of the day, I know that Global First is First Class, BusinessFirst is Business Class, etc. I don't care.
I am interested to see what F will be like. I'm flying EWR-BRU on March 4, in Global First. Very excited for that
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Hmmm. I'm flying a TATL r/t in C the second week of March, outbound on PMCO metal, inbound on PMUA metal. What will I see/experience that's different? The press release says:

United Global First, United BusinessFirstBeginning [sic] March 3 on long-haul international flights and many flights within Asia and the Pacific, first-class customers on three-cabin aircraft will experience United Global First, with a higher level of privacy and comfort, a flat-bed seat, priority airport services and more-personal attention.

Beginning in the second quarter, United will upgrade the long-haul first-class experience with new amenities, including:

United also will extend Continental's award-winning BusinessFirst product to United, offering an elevated business-class service with new amenities that include:

Does this mean F is changing on March 3 with C to follow? Are both changing but only in certain ways but not others?

What a confusing press release!

That said, these changes all sound good in theory... Let's see how the play out in practice.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mre5765
Conscious beings don't care for new speak and in addition there is a practical issue. Some employers will pay for business class, but few will pay for first class. I've had problems trying to book first class cabins with 38 inch pitch on long hauls, and no problems booking more expensive business class cabins with lie flat pitch.
Conscious beings?!?

Corporate booking policies are generally driven by fare classes, not marketing labels. If you run into problems buying a J-class ticket because the cabin is marketed as 'BusinessFirst,' you have the worst and most ineffective travel policy ever.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by IAHCOPLAT
The new North American inflight dining changes were announced Feb. 10 and are discussed in another post here in this Consolidated forum.

Here is the link. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ounced-ua.html
Except they're now not just North American; they're for Central America, Northern South America (everything north of the Amazon?), and some Asia & Pacific Islands (ahem, GUM) flights. That last part sounds like the old CO Mike footprint -- including the new CO Mike services HKG-SGN/SIN/NRT.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by paytonc
Except they're now not just North American; they're for Central America, Northern South America (everything north of the Amazon?), and some Asia & Pacific Islands (ahem, GUM) flights. That last part sounds like the old CO Mike footprint -- including the new CO Mike services HKG-SGN/SIN/NRT.
And they are not "Global" offerings either.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
True..they need a real GF signature product.. bring back the caviar and vodka-on-ice cart! And Dom.
I vividly remember the downgrade from Beluga caviar to Sevruga that began the long slide to fast food class fare.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shall we start a pool on how long it takes UA to regress to branding its cabins as "First," "Business," and "Economy?"

For English-speaking folks, it's not a huge deal, but in most markets where GF and BF make an appearance, there is a language barrier. Some poor soul at Narita or Beijing is going to be totally lost and confused during boarding time. And what a dirty trick UA HQ is playing on its Asian colleagues...asking them to pronounce a word with two "Ls."

Of course, UA can now supplement its egregious claim of being the "World's Leading Airline" with another: "the only airline in the world with two First Class cabins!"

Very smart of them to lump in the North/Central American Premium Cabin service DOWNGRADES with the long-haul upgrades in the same release.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by sxf24
Conscious beings?!?

Corporate booking policies are generally driven by fare classes, not marketing labels. If you run into problems buying a J-class ticket because the cabin is marketed as 'BusinessFirst,' you have the worst and most ineffective travel policy ever.
In two class cabins where F has a decidedly domestic pitch, the fare class is usually something like F or A, even on United. Thanks for your input, I will file it in a strong metal container to keep it handy.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Shall we start a pool on how long it takes UA to regress to branding its cabins First, Business, and Economy?

For English-speaking folks, it's not a huge deal, but in most markets where GF and BF makes an appearance, there is a language barrier. Some poor soul at Narita or Beijing is going to be totally lost and confused during boarding time. And what a dirty trick UA HQ is playing on it's Asian colleagues...asking them to pronounce a word with two "Ls."
The new smallball leadership views every decision through the prism of (context of) a Cleveland-Memphis round trip flight. If it works on that, it works everywhere.

This isn't the first insult to Asian and Asian-bound passengers. It's not like Asia is where the bulk of economic growth is to be found...
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador

Of course, UA can now supplement its egregious claim of being the "World's Leading Airline" with another: "the only airline in the world with two First Class cabins!"
Suggest that SMI/J uses this in his video.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mre5765
In two class cabins where F has a decidedly domestic pitch, the fare class is usually something like F or A, even on United. Thanks for your input, I will file it in a strong metal container to keep it handy.
On non-resort international routes, the premium cabin on narrow body aircraft (aka domestic F) is often sold as C/J, rather than F/A, to facilitate corporate purchases.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Shall we start a pool on how long it takes UA to regress to branding its cabins as "First," "Business," and "Economy?"

For English-speaking folks, it's not a huge deal, but in most markets where GF and BF make an appearance, there is a language barrier. Some poor soul at Narita or Beijing is going to be totally lost and confused during boarding time. And what a dirty trick UA HQ is playing on its Asian colleagues...asking them to pronounce a word with two "Ls."
The new names sound doubleplusungood!

I'm not a big fan of the branding, but I am eager to see what the new entertainment offerings will be and the improved meal choices. Int'l C meals have been disgusting for the better part of the last 2-3 years, and the Int'l F meals have been going downhill for a while too.

I'm curious to know what UA means by "more-personal attention" being offered. Does that mean they're staffing more F/As inflight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.