Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NEW: North American inflight dining announced by UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:05 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)

I just received this information this evening from the new UA regarding North American inflight dining:

North America meal service**: ( ** my addition to this info:Continental.com includes Latin American & Carribbean resort destinations...see post #23 in this thread for further explanation)

United First® and United Business® dining
We are pleased to offer menu choices that have been carefully selected for our premium customers. Our recipes are developed through consultation with our executive and celebrity chefs throughout the world.

North America
Onboard meal service
Less than 220 miles
(Approximately 1 hour or less)
Biscoff® cookies or pretzels served with the beverage of your choice

220 – 699 miles
(Approximately 1 – 2 hours)
Warmed, all-natural breakfast scones or a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit

700 – 2,299 miles
(Approximately 2 – 5 hours)
A full hot meal service during traditional meal times or a light and refreshing snack in between traditional meal times

Greater than 2,300 miles (Approximately 5 hours or longer)
A full hot meal service followed by a pre-arrival snack, or a light and refreshing snack on late night departures followed by a pre-arrival warm scone

On United Express® flights longer than 700 miles (approximately two hours), United First® customers will enjoy complimentary snackboxes featuring high-quality, brand-name foods.

Our signature onboard service elements include:

Warmed, all-natural scones, made from scratch exclusively for United by Poppies Dough
Premium snack baskets featuring all-natural pop chips™, Emerald® nuts, Clif® organic energy bars, Toblerone® Swiss milk chocolate and fresh whole fruit
Warmed nuts offered on all lunch and dinner services
Warmed cookies, made from scratch exclusively for United by Poppies Dough
Ice cream sundaes offered with your choice of six decadent toppings, available on long-haul lunch and dinner services
United Economy® dining
Popular à la carte snacks, snackboxes and fresh food are available for purchase. Credit and debit cards are the only form of payment accepted for all inflight purchases, with the exception of a few United Express carriers.

Here is the URL: http://pss.united.com/web/en-us/cont...st/dining.aspx

[Moderator note: see this later post in the thread for meal cutoff times: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18071763-post216.html

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 9, 2012 at 10:41 pm Reason: **to include reference to additional information explained in post # 23 to this thread; Mod. added link to meal cutoff times.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Thanks for posting. In general sounds like an overall improvement and move to be more competitive with Delta. Personally, scones taste like cotton balls to me. I wonder if they will be as tasty as the petrified croissants they serve on international C.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:26 pm

I would have prefered to see a simple bowl of cereal, yogurt, or fruit for maybe flts 500-700 miles during the morning hours. A scone or banana isn't much, oh well

No mention of "meal hours"...I should say what these meal hours are

...of course PHL-ORD is 15 miles under the 699
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by nova08
...of course PHL-ORD is 15 miles under the 699
And IAD-LAX is 12 miles under the 2,300.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
Overall, sounds ^

I will reserve final judgment until I'm on the plane though. . .
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CKinMD
And IAD-LAX is 12 miles under the 2,300.
But SFO<->IAD isn't
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:16 pm

Looks like two major changes
-800 is now 700. This means ORD-LGA and IAD-MCO have meals
-A few transcons now have arrival snack (e.g. IAD-SFO, IAD-SEA, EWR-LAX, etc)

^^

(SEA-SFO and ORD-IAD are still too short though )
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't help to assume, that the higher cost of those admittedly improved offerings will have to be raked in by offering more buy-ups, UFCs etc. - resulting in the by now all-to-well-known consequences for the heavily promoted elite/loyalty upgrades, producing even longer non-clearing upgrade waitlists.

Now, believe me: I hope, I am DEAD wrong!
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:54 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Does this mean that ice cream sundaes are coming back to LAX-HNL/OGG and ORD-HNL nonstops?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:54 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
When I read the topic title I was worried... However, I'm glad to see I'll still have my little olive pack I can eat with a plastic knife. UAX snack box for life!
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
AND REMEMBER BOYS AND GIRLS:

Orlando->IAD = snacks and fresh fruit

Tampa->IAD = A full hot meal service
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K; Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
Does this mean that ice cream sundaes are coming back to LAX-HNL/OGG and ORD-HNL nonstops?
Yep, we had sundaes from SFO-HNL this past Monday.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:20 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Due to this..all EWR Transcons have been downgraded... BIG TIME!! No more menus..no more BusinessFirst Linens/China. No more fresh bread basket with Garlic bread and pretzel rolls. No more Steak option, small portions served all at once.

Meal was mid con dinner plus small appetizer (nothing like the lobster and shrimp cocktails) and sundae remains.

EWR-SEA today just was not the same I am starting to hate the new United more and more
Old Feb 11, 2012, 2:30 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
Since February 1st. Full blown cart service.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by aero0729
Due to this..all EWR Transcons have been downgraded... BIG TIME!! No more menus..no more BusinessFirst Linens/China. No more fresh bread basket with Garlic bread and pretzel rolls. No more Steak option, small portions served all at once.

Meal was mid con dinner plus small appetizer (nothing like the lobster and shrimp cocktails) and sundae remains.

EWR-SEA today just was not the same I am starting to hate the new United more and more
Not true. PS service (Not NA Domestic meal service) still lives from what I understand. The question is which CO transcons will get it..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.