Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Gift Card Exchange - turning old gift cards into MP miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MileagePlus Gift Card Exchange - turning old gift cards into MP miles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: UA GS
You know, this isn't actually the worst deal ever. I tested it out with a Crate & Barrel gift card I've had burning a hole in my junk drawer, and the rate came out to 2700 RDM for the $75 card value. At 2.78 CPM, that's slightly better than some of the premier accelerator rates (though not better than all of them).

They also can "acquire" the card electronically.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: United Platinum
Mods...can you help me adjust the title to describe the offer better?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone had any success with the MileagePlus Giftcard Exchange as of late?

I was unable to get past the "captcha" ten days ago and sent an email using the form provided. I received an automatic response, but nothing else.

Today, I cannot even get past the initial "check your card's value" screen.

I have successfully exchanged gift cards in the past on this web site, but keep getting stuck of late. I have tried different browsers, different computers, different ISPs, all to no avail.

Is this something I should call the MileagePlus Service Center about, especially since I have received no (other than an automated) response from the form I submitted ten days ago?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:28 pm

MileagePlus Gift Card Exchange Program pagr does not work!

I was so excited whe I saw this promotion!
I got an Walmart gift card and attempt to exchange it, but even when Walmart name is listed as one of the gift cards they will take, they did not.
Last weekend I sent them a report letting them know, and also, contacted through Facebook... they could not figure out what the problem is and have not replied to me with an answer.
My husband came home from work, pull out of his wallet a Starbucks gift card and asked me to try to exchange it. Everything seems to be working ok, until we got to the "loading gotcha" part!!! The gotcha never loaded!!!
My mom was sorry for me and gave me a Cracker Barrel gift card that her friends had given her... Same "gotcha" history!!! It starting loading three hours ago and still going...
So frustrating!!!

Last edited by Maria Nela Manahan; Jan 23, 2015 at 8:34 pm
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's been broken for months. I tried to redeem a gift card last August and experienced the same problem. Since then, I've sent two emails to cardcash.com and even called the MP Service Center.

After the first email I received a reply from cardcash a few weeks later indicating that they were working on the problem and that I should try again "in a few days". I tried again several weeks later and had the same experience. Subsequent emails have generated only an automated response.

It's broken.
They don't care.
Why they continue to advertise the gift cards for miles promotion when there's no way to carry it out is beyond me.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:03 am

Yeah! I keep getting the "Loading Captcha" message... I do not know how long that "captcha" is going to take to load, thou!!! So, Steak and Eggs, any one? LOL!!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:59 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
This is like Travelex at the airport.

40% bonus today, but we're still going to be 30% higher than the banks conversion charge.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 3:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Maria Nela Manahan
I was so excited whe I saw this promotion!
Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:32 pm

This gift exchange is pure BS. For some merchants, the captcha would show up, it'd recognize the balance and all that (giving you a glimmer of hope), only to fail at the last screen after you 'Accept' (ther will be a loading icon that'd just keep spinning all the time).

And the customer support is non-existent. I emailed to no-avail. I called and got hung up on after some 30 mins of back and forth.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I have a Kohl's gift card for $50. The website says they take Kohl's cards, but when I type in KOHL's, it shows up as Michael Kors. Despite repeated attempts to contact the gift card exchange people, and United, no one has responded. Crap customer service, once again.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 12:48 pm

United Mileage Gift Card Exchange Program Issues/Questions

Hi Everyone:
Discovered the United Gift Card Exchange program recently- I can buy cards on their list at enough to a discount to make it worth it to me.

Sold out a Nordstroms Card, no issues. Then a Hyatt card, also no issues.
Then had two more Hyatts rejected (planned to stay, then decided on a switch).

Now, it's awesome when they accept stuff, but when they don't I'm out the cost gotta do something with them, and selling out to exchange sites are not as worth it to me/time consuming.

Has anyone found they reject certain cards? Any reasoning known?

All I got was

Thank you for visiting the United Gift Card Exchange.

We apologize, but we are unable to process your transaction at this time.

Your card has not been exchanged and your order has been canceled.

Any thoughts to share?

Cheers!
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:05 pm

Recently found Uniteds gift card exchange for miles program.
Dug around in what I had (as it makes sense for me).
First couple processed fine, so went to top up my husbands account.

No credits in the 5 business days since, the support email does not reply, and I emailed United and tweeted to see if that would help.

10 business day wait... unfortunately.

Any suggestions on how to get it resolved? Or if not, any deals on cheaper United Miles right now (am non US, so no credit card winners, unfortunately.
Thanks everyone!

Really appreciate any suggestions!

Last edited by Evenstar22; Apr 22, 2016 at 12:11 pm Reason: Proper thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Evenstar22
Recently found Uniteds gift card exchange for miles program.
Dug around in what I had (as it makes sense for me).
First couple processed fine, so went to top up my husbands account.

No credits in the 5 business days since, the support email does not reply, and I emailed United and tweeted to see if that would help.

10 business day wait... unfortunately.

Any suggestions on how to get it resolved? Or if not, any deals on cheaper United Miles right now (am non US, so no credit card winners, unfortunately.
Thanks everyone!

Really appreciate any suggestions!
Are you looking to top off for an award redemption? How far off are you? MileagePlus X miles post immediately, so thats a good way to get them fast if you need...
Old Apr 25, 2016, 1:16 pm

Thanks for the reply CargoJon!
I'm not in the states, currently, so local purchasing apps won't work for me.

I DM'ed their twitter account, and got a really helpful agent, so I'll update as to how that goes!

Thanks so much!
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:00 am

I know its a free program, but this is getting absurdly ridiculous....

Hiya!
I'm new to the miles game, and recently discovered some of uniteds incentives- gc's and mileage plus shopping (you may laugh at me, traveling for so many years and only just getting into it, but for a long time I thought it was credit based, and I am not a US citizen).

This all begins April 15.
First couple of cards enter fine. Then it all stalls, and my gc confirmations come through, but only 1/3 of the miles have credited. They also refuse a couple of my hotel cards, which is no big deal until I find out the balance on the most recent one was drained the same day I entered it into Uniteds system. Which they then refused and told me my balance was intact.

Tweeted at United 4 days ago, and every day I am promised an update, until they get back to me to let me know united mileage + team will be in touch.

Except they literally just emailed my husband back and told him it's not their responsibility, and to email the cardcash email. Which has been support ticketed by us 3 times now, and they have never responded.

I'm getting really sick of this, and started processing these 3 weeks before I wanted to book an award- 40k miles are in limbo, despite 5 day terms.

On top of that, magazines.com is doing everything they can not to honor my purchase.

What do I do, guys? The buck keeps getting passed, and I'm sick of this being blown out!

Thanks so much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.