Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why do some names show up on the checked-in upgrade list prior to T-24?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do some names show up on the checked-in upgrade list prior to T-24?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Could be Certs or elites on Y/B (M for 1K) fares who have cleared at booking.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
Could be Certs or elites on Y/B (M for 1K) fares who have cleared at booking.
Or even just CPUs. The site is a little misleading in that it implies folks checked in.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by aacharya
Or even just CPUs. The site is a little misleading in that it implies folks checked in.
this. if i clear at T>24, i'm classified as being a customer who has checked in for the flight according to the upgrade list.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by aacharya
But, the upgrade page has a "Checked In" line for the number of customers checked-in to the F/C cabin.

I recently used a GPU on HKG-EWR-PDX and EWR-PDX showed "Checked In" as 1 (me) nearly 40 hours before the flight.

As far as what the OP is asking, yep, those names show anyone who has cleared on domestic segments through both CPU, RPU, and GPU use. Longhaul C is a little different as it doesn't show GPU clearance unless it happens at the gate.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
The upgrade standby list and cleared list have different behaviors w.r.t when names are displayed. For CPU flights, names are displayed on the cleared list once they've cleared, regardless of check-in status. For non-CPU flights, I've see conflicting reports of what shows on the cleared list and when, so I'll leave that for someone else to answer. In either case, names are only displayed on the UG standby list once they have checked in.

EDIT:

Longhaul C is a little different as it doesn't show GPU clearance unless it happens at the gate.
Well, there's the case I wasn't sure about.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
TAM allows one to check-in 72 hours in advance. If starting on TAM and the TAM ticket was purchased as part of a UA itinerary, one is also checked in on UA. Even though TAM left *A, their systems still work well together. (at least they did last month). GOL is the complete opposite, you check-in at the airport for both GOL and UA when starting with GOL. (Still the same this week).
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:34 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I've seen it happen on my flights where the "checked in at greater than my 24 hours pax" were flying in from Asia* as that's 24 hours ahead of me but I've never seen it at 48 or 72 hours

*the reason I knew this was that I was #1 on the upgrade list with F booked full but the gate agent said I would clear as there were two pax (the one's I saw checked in with their upgrades cleared before I could check in) who were inbound from Asia but they were late and were going to misconx
Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AppleApe
Isn't OLCI only open at T-24? why do I frequently see people checked-in
online 48 to 72 hours before flight time? (as shown in the upgrade list
under flight status) I've seen names on the upgrade standby list 48 to
72 hours before the flight actually takes off.... usually just 3 or 4 names,
but I thought names only show up for people who have already checked
in online. (not the people whose upgrade had already cleared)
Did those names already on the list have a green checkmark and a seat number next to them? If so then their upgrade already cleared so they show on the list even though they may not be checked in yet. Then under them will be names with a number starting at 1. These are the people who have checked in and have not been upgraded yet. As others have said above, you can get on the list before T-24 if it is a connection. Check in is T-24 of the first leg of that days/directions flights so could be well before T-24 of that flight.

Last edited by Baze; Mar 13, 2015 at 11:28 am
Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've upgraded using miles weeks before check-in. My name (well, really just the first three letters of my last name and the first letter of my first) went on the Upgraded list immediately.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
SQ allows check in at T-48, including in person at the airport as ann originating passenger. If someone had a SQ first flight on the itinerary with a connection to UA, this could become T-72, especially if there's an overnight connection after either the first (SQ) flight or after the second (UA or other) flight on the ticket.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
SQ allows check in at T-48, including in person at the airport as ann originating passenger. If someone had a SQ first flight on the itinerary with a connection to UA, this could become T-72, especially if there's an overnight connection after either the first (SQ) flight or after the second (UA or other) flight on the ticket.
Thanks! That made sense.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
I've seen it happen on my flights where the "checked in at greater than my 24 hours pax" were flying in from Asia* as that's 24 hours ahead of me but I've never seen it at 48 or 72 hours

*the reason I knew this was that I was #1 on the upgrade list with F booked full but the gate agent said I would clear as there were two pax (the one's I saw checked in with their upgrades cleared before I could check in) who were inbound from Asia but they were late and were going to misconx
The half day or more in time zones isn't actual time. It's actual flight time + connection time only, don't count the time zones. That being said I've had a flight where being checked in 40 hours from the second leg was possible.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
The half day or more in time zones isn't actual time. It's actual flight time + connection time only, don't count the time zones. That being said I've had a flight where being checked in 40 hours from the second leg was possible.
wait, you're saying when I fly across the international date line from Tokyo back to SFO, my life isn't increased by half a day?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AppleApe
wait, you're saying when I fly across the international date line from Tokyo back to SFO, my life isn't increased by half a day?
Yeah. I've crossed the international date line westbound two times more than I've crossed it eastbound. That means I'm living two days in the future!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:56 am

Name not appearing on upgrade waitlist

1K with a GPU in place. Itinerary is MSY-IAH-SFO-HKG.

SFO-HKG cleared at booking, MSY-IAH cleared two weeks later. Flights begin tomorrow, 3/31. Upgrade list for IAH-SFO shows quite a few people, however, my name is not on the list. Does anyone have an idea as why I'm not showing up on the list?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.