Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's 737-900 Aircraft With no Entertainment System

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's 737-900 Aircraft With no Entertainment System

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Yes, the aircraft had operating 110v outlets - which is one of the reasons I was so convinced the IFE was hiding somewhere I couldn't find!

-FlyerBeek
On those aircraft, IFE means Individual Furnished Entertainment
Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Not really, because my iPad is filled with stuff that I've already seen, and which I had to pay for. I don't wanna have to (a) decide what I want to watch days in advance and (b) buy it. It's like bringing a packed lunch; sure, it'd probably be better than whatever the airline's gonna feed me, but I'm too lazy to think that far ahead.
Well, once they get WiFi, your problem is solved. You won't have to rely on the canned, invariably 3rd run movies currently available.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth
Well, once they get WiFi, your problem is solved. You won't have to rely on the canned, invariably 3rd run movies currently available.
Which is UA's long term strategy...

What if they never install IFE on these aircraft, but do install wifi... Good enough?

PS and the wifi is free, but advertising supported.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 5:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Which is UA's long term strategy...

What if they never install IFE on these aircraft, but do install wifi... Good enough?

PS and the wifi is free, but advertising supported.
I wonder what 100+ people with video-capable devices all trying to pull hi-def video from a satellite will do to the bandwidth?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Who is affected in addition to UA?

New plane, 20 seats in F.... I hope these show up on my routes!
SQ had issues, During the 777-300 retrofit they problems popped up. For a long time they only have one refurbished 777-300.

It also delayed a few A380 deliveries.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by born sleepy
I wonder what 100+ people with video-capable devices all trying to pull hi-def video from a satellite will do to the bandwidth?
From the Rainey meeting with BofA:

"Global wifi installation starting in August - yes, we're late to market but we're excited about our offering"

IFE: "Clearly, customers want to be entertained in flight." "But, it costs $5 - $10 K per screen for seat back screens..." "Passengers bringing their own screens now - Pads / Tablets - support the infrastrucutre / wifi to enable people to consume content on their own devices"

"Long term, look for ways - sponsorship / advertising - to enable them to not charge for wifi"

I have read elsewhere who the service provider / bandwidth / latency will be, but I do not recall now.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL UA AS
A friend was on a 739 last month from EWR-SEA-ANC with no IFE. This upset him more than the fact that the only decaf on board, even in first class, was instant because it wasn't "cost effective" to have brewed decaf.

Originally Posted by Brattflyer
Same experience here, IAD-BOS on Wednesday. Beautiful plane. Liked watching the FA's reading the safety materials in the blue glow of the overhead lamps. Liked also the 110 volt plugin but was blown away by the lack of any kind of video on the plane. What are they thinking? Are these only going to be used in short runs where there is no need for IFE?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 6:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I have read elsewhere who the service provider / bandwidth / latency will be, but I do not recall now.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...nited-airlines
United Airlines announced in recent months that it plans to begin equipping its entire fleet with satellite-based Wi-Fi offered by Panasonic Avionics Corp. United will start the project during the second half of this year and plans to complete it by 2015.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...133237093.html
Old Jul 28, 2012, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by rvolkcpa
A friend was on a 739 last month from EWR-SEA-ANC with no IFE. This upset him more than the fact that the only decaf on board, even in first class, was instant because it wasn't "cost effective" to have brewed decaf.
I'm scheduled on EWR-LAX in F on Monday so far with no IFE. Can't wait. (And I thought watching "Million Dollar listing" on a 319 flt was bad enough)
Old Jul 28, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Yeah, United seems to be behind in general with their in flight product. Moving to SFO later this month and will be doing SFO - IAD transcons a lot to visit home, and VX is an attractive alternative. UA wins in the FF program (even for non-elites) and Economy Plus categories though - VX Main Cabin Select is simply too pricey an option compared to E+.

For me personally, IFE isn't a big deal. Wi-fi is though. Not for fun so much (I tried the VX wifi and it's way too slow for Netflix or anything similar), but for work. When it comes down to working on the plane or using an extra day of leave, VX becomes a no brainer as much as I might otherwise prefer to fly UA. Here's hoping that UA gets WiFi on the SFO - IAD route sooner rather than later.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nova08
I'm scheduled on EWR-LAX in F on Monday so far with no IFE. Can't wait. (And I thought watching "Million Dollar listing" on a 319 flt was bad enough)
During the six hour flight, think about what Delta offers on its JFK-LAX flight.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Azmordean
Yeah, United seems to be behind in general with their in flight product. Moving to SFO later this month and will be doing SFO - IAD transcons a lot to visit home, and VX is an attractive alternative. UA wins in the FF program (even for non-elites) and Economy Plus categories though - VX Main Cabin Select is simply too pricey an option compared to E+.

For me personally, IFE isn't a big deal. Wi-fi is though. Not for fun so much (I tried the VX wifi and it's way too slow for Netflix or anything similar), but for work. When it comes down to working on the plane or using an extra day of leave, VX becomes a no brainer as much as I might otherwise prefer to fly UA. Here's hoping that UA gets WiFi on the SFO - IAD route sooner rather than later.
Do you have elite staus on any airline yet?

If no, I would try kayaking to begin with (price / schedule / convenience drives your choice in carrier).

If you start traveling more, and decide to focus on a single airline to gain status, then your time as a kayaker will hopefully help you determine which is your best choice.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the Rainey meeting with BofA:

"Global wifi installation starting in August - yes, we're late to market but we're excited about our offering"
He was thinking: "and the $ we can charge for it"

IFE: "Clearly, customers want to be entertained in flight." "But, it costs $5 - $10 K per screen for seat back screens..." "Passengers bringing their own screens now - Pads / Tablets - support the infrastrucutre / wifi to enable people to consume content on their own devices"
He was thinking: "umm, maybe we can charge for electricity onboard"

"Long term, look for ways - sponsorship / advertising - to enable them to not charge for wifi"
He was thinking: "no freebie for over-entitled elites. I'll show them"

I wonder if they will still end up putting some content on a server on the plane and serve them up that way - no bandwidth needed with the satellite.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
I keep asking this, but nobody seems to have any info.

Where can I find out things like bandwidth available, drop connection stats and other hard technical details on the various WiFi available on planes. My clients VPN setup is very sensitive to dropped connections. Its a real pain to re-establish all my connectivity once a VPN link drops. Also since Notes is my email client, it a bandwidth hog too.

TIA,
Old Jul 28, 2012, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
I was snarkily under the impression they were combining the best of CO (SHARES, the website) with the best of UA (total lack of entertainment)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.