Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by colpuck
Uh no. 1p hasn't been eliminated. You are in fact still 1p.
At least until March 3rd. Do we even know what the computer codes will be after March 3rd? I have seen nothing in this or any other thread confirming what the computer codes will be.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by Baze
At least until March 3rd. Do we even know what the computer codes will be after March 3rd? I have seen nothing in this or any other thread confirming what the computer codes will be.
1P/Premier Gold it is the same level. Whatevs.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Before, 1P for life
After, 1P for life.

Seems like the exact same position to me.
Except that before, they were #3 in line for upgrades. Now they are #4. How can you ignore that?

Originally Posted by entropy
The only difference between 2011 1P and 2012 1P is you only get 50% instead of 100% bonus RDMs.
and you are now #4 in line for upgrades, after GS, 1K, and Platinum. In 2011, you were #3.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
Except that before, they were #3 in line for upgrades. Now they are #4. How can you ignore that?

and you are now #4 in line for upgrades, after GS, 1K, and Platinum. In 2011, you were #3.
The same way I can ignore Plat going from #1 to number #3 it is not a million miler issue.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
There are a lot who are happy with the changes as well.
It's clear that many customers in the following categories are happy (or even thrilled) with their promotions, i.e.

• bumped-up in recalculation to a lifetime status;
  • CO Lifetime Silvers bumped up to Lifetime Gold;
  • CO IEs' grandfathered to Lifetime 1K;
  • PMUA 2MMs grandfathered to Lifetime United Club membership.

I can only speak for myself as PMUA 1MM. I am dissatisfied and believe UA is failing to honor the lifetime benefits it promised.

UA has changed the program. This includes moving from three tiers to four, five if including the new Lifetime GS status.

The benefits of the new Premier Gold category are less than those of the previous Premier Executive. UA has eliminated the entire category that contained my lifetime benefits. IMO it's UA's responsibility to continue to honor its commitment to providing my lifetime benefits.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fredd
It's clear that many customers in the following categories are happy (or even thrilled) with their promotions, i.e.

I can only speak for myself as PMUA 1MM. I am dissatisfied and believe UA is failing to honor the lifetime benefits it promised.
Don't for the spouses who share status. The only people who lose are the people who are million milers who fail to qualify for their status and are single.

Please forgive me, I do not understand the rest of your post.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Don't for the spouses who share status. The only people who lose are the people who are million milers who fail to qualify for their status and are single.
Yes, I should have written e.g. instead of i.e. I in turn don't understand what you mean when you describe "the people who are million milers who fail to qualify for their status..."

Please forgive me, I do not understand the rest of your post.
That's apparently the second time. I wish I could help.

Ok, challenge for those that keep old records. When the MM program was started what were the exact benefits and stated status you got? Have they ever changed before this merger? If they have changed even one little bit then shouldn't the people who earned it at a different time be complaining bitterly that the benefits they earned changed? Unless they were improved. I don't know the answer so I am asking. Have they ever changed before?
You were replying to my post, but I'm not an old-timer, having only joined MP in 2000. IIRC the annual regionals were added a few years ago. UA's changes to its MP program, especially those that I would describe as "devaluations" are more significant than anything I can recall in my 11-12 years of being a serious customer. I sense - but can't prove - that, as Graham Atkinson and others "grew" Mileage Plus, benefits were added and enhanced, rather than being removed or reduced.

Perhaps others can offer more thorough (and accurate) information.

Last edited by Fredd; Feb 25, 2012 at 1:14 pm
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, AA EXP, VS Silver, HY Diamond, HI Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Pat89339
Then it looks like you didn't get top tier status as promised, as they only granted you 1K for life. Under the new program top tier status is GS.
The IEs never saw PMCO Presidential Platinum, nor PMUA/new UA GS as being a comparable level to what we were promised, because those levels were always spend-based, by invitation only.

Again, from Randy's InsideFlyer September 2011 editorial:
"We have no grandiose idea that we belong in and among the Global Services membership"

So even though the new top tier of GS is attainable by means of 4MM EQMs, it is not on a year-to-year basis attainable by EQMs alone.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, they are not the same. And the benefits for PE are different than they will be for PG and PP so again, they are not the same.

1P = Premier Executive = 50,000-99,999
?? = Premier Gold = 50,000-74,999
?? = Premier Platinum = 75,000-99,999

Different and as I said, I have seen nothing in any thread as to what the computer codes will be for PG and PP.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, they are not the same. And the benefits for PE are different than they will be for PG and PP so again, they are not the same.

1P = Premier Executive = 50,000-99,999
?? = Premier Gold = 50,000-74,999
?? = Premier Platinum = 75,000-99,999

Different and as I said, I have seen nothing in any thread as to what the computer codes will be for PG and PP.
Same qualification level, same *G, same status. I'm glad we can agree on something.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jetsetr
But I also believe there is a key semantic difference in the CO IE situation. IE's were explicitly promised top tier, whether that top tier required 50K originally, 75K later, 100K now, or whatever K in the future, and whether that tier was called "Gold" or "Platinum," "1K," or whatever. It didn't guarantee that the benefits of the level would not change.
What's your evidence for your claim (which I've bolded)? All quotes that I can find of the original text from Continental's marketing materials say pretty much the same thing, that they were explicitly promised Gold Elite status for life, not top-tier status, which is exactly like the promise of Premier Executive status made by PMUA. It was only later that this came to be interpreted as "top-tier".

As an interesting historical note, Continental's Gold Elite status was pretty much the equivalent of United's Premier Executive status from the time they were both top-tier, requiring 70k or 75k to earn and giving 125% bonuses, down to where they both eventually settled at 2nd-tier status and a 50k requirement. The main difference of course being that on the CO side, earning it for life now gets you 1K status, while on the UA side we get only Premier Gold.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by entropy
Good luck with that. Did they give you 2nd tier status when they added the GS program? There is more of an argument that you get 2nd (From lowest) tier status (*G for life)..

If you're one of the people who got MM the 'old way' entirely, chances are decent that you have a considerable # of additional EQM to bump you up to at least spitting distance of 2MM, which, aside from the 25% less RDM, is considerably better than 1P (fee waivers all around) and priority above 1Ps. Same goes for the close-to-2MMs who will be a lot closer to lifetime 1K.
Hello entropy,

I think many were under the impression the recalibration would be a windfall for true MMilers. I thought so myself. I don't know what was in my head, but I thought it would at least be another million miles, but ended up being half of that. Think abt this, for someone to fly an actual million miles, the odds of flying a significant # of miles on another airline is slim. And for those like myself, when I couldn't fly UA, I would fly BA (over a million miles). Had I know this craziness would happen I would have flown an inferior LH (I hate FC on upper deck).

PMUA MMilers Have been downgraded, after recalibration, I'm 2MMiler, but feel my benefits haven't changed. I feel like I remained the same. What a bunch of idiots.

UG
Old Feb 25, 2012, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Hello entropy,

I think many were under the impression the recalibration would be a windfall for true MMilers. I thought so myself. I don't know what was in my head, but I thought it would at least be another million miles, but ended up being half of that. Think abt this, for someone to fly an actual million miles, the odds of flying a significant # of miles on another airline is slim. And for those like myself, when I couldn't fly UA, I would fly BA (over a million miles). Had I know this craziness would happen I would have flown an inferior LH (I hate FC on upper deck).

PMUA MMilers Have been downgraded, after recalibration, I'm 2MMiler, but feel my benefits haven't changed. I feel like I remained the same. What a bunch of idiots.

UG
Well, with the old UA MM program the only difference between 1MM and 2MM was 2MM got lifetime RCC. Otherwise they were exactly the same. Same status, same benefits.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by Fredd

UA has changed the program. This includes moving from three tiers to four, five if including the new Lifetime GS status.

The benefits of the new Premier Gold category are less than those of the previous Premier Executive. UA has eliminated the entire category that contained my lifetime benefits. IMO it's UA's responsibility to continue to honor its commitment to providing my lifetime benefits.

EXACTLY. I assumed the issues here was about LIFETIME benefits.

Well, with the old UA MM program the only difference between 1MM and 2MM was 2MM got lifetime RCC. Otherwise they were exactly the same. Same status, same benefits.
I'm talking about the new MM rules. I feel that by being a 2MM with recal in the new MP, I have not changed from the old MM.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 25, 2012 at 1:31 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 25, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pdx1M
Sorry but that is not an intellectually honest answer. You argue you were demoted and I am asking a question relevant to whether such a claim is true. You can't claim it is all about tier levels without showing that tier levels were even relevant in the old program. My question is precisely that. Were tier levels relevant? If so then you should be able to give a cogent answer to my question. If not then while I sympathize with your annoyance it really is just pouting.
IIRC tier levels have always been relevant for every kind of wait-list, from standby for a seat to upgrades. I've also seen it used in IRROPS priorities to determine who gets the best reroute options or even the best hotels. Dropping a level makes a tangible difference in service levels in everyday travel, whether or not you're always aware of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.