Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Refunds for E+ / Preferred fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ...){Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Refunds for E+ / Preferred fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ...) [Merged]

Economy Plus FAQs

Can I get a refund for my Economy Plus purchase if I no longer want it on my trip?

No. Economy Plus purchases are nonrefundable unless the ticket is refunded or canceled prior to travel.

If I buy Economy Plus seating, can I select a different Economy Plus seat prior to travel?

Yes. If the price of the new seat is equal to or less than the original purchase price then there will be no refund or additional charges. If the price of the new seat is greater than the price of the originally purchased seat, then the original price will be refunded and the new seat must be purchased in full.

Will my Economy Plus purchase be refunded if I cancel my trip?

Yes. In the event of a ticket refund or cancellation, Economy Plus purchases will be automatically refunded.

What will happen if I purchased Economy Plus seating but want to change my flights?

In the event of a voluntary change to a trip, Economy Plus purchases will be automatically refunded. If the ticket is partially used at the time of the change, only the value of the unused Economy Plus seating will be refunded.

What happens to my Economy Plus purchase if I get upgraded?

In the event of an upgrade, with some exclusions, purchased Economy Plus seating for the upgraded segment(s) will be automatically refunded. Exclusions include Complimentary Premier Upgrades and cases where a customer is reaccommodated into a seat of similar or greater value due to an aircraft change or other operational issue.

What happens if my itinerary changes due to a cancellation or schedule change?

In the event of any involuntary changes, such as rebooking due to a cancellation or schedule change, United will, if available, transfer the Economy Plus seating to your new flight(s) free of charge. If we are unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus, the Economy Plus purchase will be automatically refunded after flight departure. If you are re-accommodated on another airline per United’s policies, your purchase of Economy Plus seating for that portion of the itinerary will be automatically refunded.

I purchased Economy Plus, but I didn’t get to sit in an Economy Plus seat. Will I receive a refund?

Yes. If we are unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus, the Economy Plus purchase price will be automatically refunded after flight departure.

What is the deadline to request a refund for my Economy Plus purchase?

For Economy Plus refunds that aren’t issued automatically, you must submit your request within 90 days of the later of the following two dates: i) the date when the fee was originally paid; or ii) the flight date.If we were unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus or a seat of similar or greater value, and you received a new boarding pass, then the refund for the Economy Plus purchase price will be issued automatically. If you were not issued a new boarding pass, please submit a request through our Refunds page by the deadline specified above.

How long will it take to receive my Economy Plus refund?

Please allow up to seven business days from the date when the refund is issued for the activity to post to your credit card. If the refund does not post within one billing cycle, please contact your credit card company for information. For all other forms of payment, please allow up to 20 days for a refund to be processed. If you do not see a credit post within these time frames, please submit a refund request at united.com/refunds. All refunds are credited to the original form of payment used.
related thread : UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [2016 Consolidated]

Preferred seat refunds (changed flights, upgraded, purchased E+, ...)
Print Wikipost

Refunds for E+ / Preferred fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ...){Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: SPG, UAL, Chase Ultimate, AMEX PRC
No status, upgrade requested, but forgot to book economy plus prior to upgrade

I have a 3 leg flight taking me from GEG to SYD coming up on July 27. I used a $600/50k points upgrade and was confirmed for the flight to SYD but not the first two legs. I anticipate with no status my upgrade chance is slim. As per Uniteds policy I will be refunded for the initial economy plus upgrade that I at time of initial reservation purchased for the LAX-SYD leg.

I have been working on the assumption that because United refunded my initial economy plus fees, that they would of course upgrade me at a minimum to economy plus on my other 2 flights if they could not fulfill the request for first class. It also seems that if I would have been thinking, and upgraded to economy plus on the other 2 legs, those would have been refunded. Did I just back myself into a corner here? Any options? Thoughts?

Thanks in Advance!
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Wrong assumption. Do not expect UA to give you free E+.

You only got a refund because you were upgraded on that leg.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by aa2300
I have a 3 leg flight taking me from GEG to SYD coming up on July 27. I used a $600/50k points upgrade and was confirmed for the flight to SYD but not the first two legs. I anticipate with no status my upgrade chance is slim. As per Uniteds policy I will be refunded for the initial economy plus upgrade that I at time of initial reservation purchased for the LAX-SYD leg.

I have been working on the assumption that because United refunded my initial economy plus fees, that they would of course upgrade me at a minimum to economy plus on my other 2 flights if they could not fulfill the request for first class. It also seems that if I would have been thinking, and upgraded to economy plus on the other 2 legs, those would have been refunded. Did I just back myself into a corner here? Any options? Thoughts?

Thanks in Advance!
No E+ for free, but have you tried pulling up the seat map for the flights in question? I'm guessing you can still pay for E+ on those flights, and receive a refund if your upgrade clears.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
No E+ for free, but have you tried pulling up the seat map for the flights in question? I'm guessing you can still pay for E+ on those flights, and receive a refund if your upgrade clears.
I've been wondering about doing that myself. There is a ton of E+ space left over. What I am unclear about is if the E+ would be refunded *post* the miles/$$ upgrade. Or would that only be refunded if I had purchased them *prior* to the points/upgrade request for the entire trip.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I've been wondering about doing that myself. There is a ton of E+ space left over. What I am unclear about is if the E+ would be refunded *post* the miles/$$ upgrade. Or would that only be refunded if I had purchased them *prior* to the points/upgrade request for the entire trip.
If you get upgraded, you will be entitled to a refund of the E+ fee, regardless when it was paid.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
Wrong assumption. Do not expect UA to give you free E+.

You only got a refund because you were upgraded on that leg.
If I had purchased E+ upgrades on all three legs all of those would have in theory been refunded with the request to upgrade to First correct? Or would the upgrade request actually of had to be confirmed for that? The cost for upgrade to F for all three flights was static, so I would assume I would have received $$ back for all three legs regardless if confirmed or just requested.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:53 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
E+ is not a cabin upgrade, unlike DL. If you purchased E+ seating and was upgraded to first class afterwards, you can request a refund of E+ fees. If your upgrade clears on another segment, it has no impact on the E+ fees paid on the first segment.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If I had purchased E+ upgrades on all three legs all of those would have in theory been refunded with the request to upgrade to First correct? Or would the upgrade request actually of had to be confirmed for that? The cost for upgrade to F for all three flights was static, so I would assume I would have received $$ back for all three legs regardless if confirmed or just requested.
You're only going to get an E+ refund on a segment where the upgrade clears. Not sure why you think an upgrade on one segment would affect E+ on any other segment.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
You're only going to get an E+ refund on a segment where the upgrade clears. Not sure why you think an upgrade on one segment would affect E+ on any other segment.
My thinking on that was as follows:

1) The cost to upgrade all three segments was static -- the $600/50k miles. Not variable based upon which legs could be confirmed at time of F upgrade request.
2) That since the extra $$/miles was paid by me any/all E+ fees would be refunded.
3) It would be decent to say 'sorry we couldn't fufill your F upgrade but E+ is better than nothing'

I'm not sure I can wrap my head around why the E+ refund would be tied to only confirmed upgrades only..
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:08 am

2) That since the extra $$/miles was paid by me any/all E+ fees would be refunded.
3) It would be decent to say 'sorry we couldn't fufill your F upgrade but E+ is better than nothing'
Yes, it would be nice, but neither of those assumptions holds.

UA is quite aggressive about monetizing E+ and won't give it away for free in these circumstances.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm not sure I can wrap my head around why the E+ refund would be tied to only confirmed upgrades only..
The E+ purchase is per-segment and completely unrelated to any upgrade you may or may not be requesting. If, on any given segment, you happen to clear a supported upgrade (and therefore don't actually sit in E+), you will receive a refund of the E+ fees for that segment.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by findark
The E+ purchase is per-segment and completely unrelated to any upgrade you may or may not be requesting. If, on any given segment, you happen to clear a supported upgrade (and therefore don't actually sit in E+), you will receive a refund of the E+ fees for that segment.
Also potentially of note to the OP, the E+ refunds are supposed to happen automatically, after the flight in question takes off with them upgraded, if that's the case. In the case they are upgraded in advance, It is potentially possible that you can manually request and receive a refund via the refunds page. But it is supposed to happen automatically, and a refund request may get taken care of, or may result in a denial and a 'wait for automatic refund after flight' reason.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3) It would be decent to say 'sorry we couldn't fufill your F upgrade but E+ is better than nothing'.
Decent? Yes.
Moral? Almost certainly.
Just? Beyond a doubt.

Unfortunately, those adjectives are infrequently used to describe any airline that I've ever flown.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Has anyone been successful in getting an E+ fee refunded after after achieving either Platinum or 1K status?

I have a 4 pax ORD-HNL flight scheduled in November, and I proactively bought E+ for 2 of the seats thinking I was still going to be Gold.

My travel unexpectedly picked up and will now hit Platinum in September. It's not listed in a FAQ or T&C that I can tell.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Just to confirm, if I book an award flight that is only available in Y right now but waitlist the overseas portion of J (FRA - IAD) or if another routing becomes available in J (with same O&D) that I switch to (or cancel the ticket all together), I'll receive a refund of the E+ fees?

Despite being Silver, I'd rather snag the E+ right now since row 20AB and 20 JK are available on the sUA 777 and since it's FRA - IAD and I'm not confident in getting good E+ seats at check-in. Plus 20AB and JK are quite fine for a daytime flight if J doesn't become available or only becomes available in the middle 4 section.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.