Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best lounge in HKG for UA Travelers? (HKG UC closed for remodeling Spring 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best lounge in HKG for UA Travelers? (HKG UC closed for remodeling Spring 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 1:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Originally Posted by zombietooth
We are flying into HKG in a couple of weeks in F on UA and have a 2 1/2 hour layover to go into Manilla at 1930. What would be the best lounge for us to hang out in, assuming the 5J gates are in the 20s (flight is 5J-119)? Is the FC lounge worth bothering with?
This might be tough; if you would pardon the language you might be SOL.

AFAIK Cebu Pacific is a low cost carrier. If this is so, then by definition they would not have any lounge access, at least not through them (I didn't see any when I checked their website). As for flying F class on UA, AFAIK the RCC is a departure lounge, not arrival, meaning that technically there is no arrivals privilege. Additionally I assume you are not a RCC member per the way you have worded your post. I am not a member but have the general fuzzy sense that RCC membership allows entry even without a flight (other posters, please correct me if I am wrong).

You have five options as I see it:

a) go to the RCC and see if they will let you stay there based on your arrival in F cabin;
b) purchase a one time entry to the Plaza Premium Lounge;
c) check your credit cards, some allow lounge access;
d) look for a coffee place airside and/or wander the stores;
d) go groundside (ie legallyl enter Hong Kong), and either look for a coffee place (there's a Pacific Coffee on the departures level at the end in front before entering the check in counters at the J, K, L end (you'll figure out what I mean when you walk around), look for the restaurants after the check in counters (many of these will have a view of airside with passengers just cleared security and passport control), or explore the departure side of the airport.

Last edited by dsgtc0408; Jul 27, 2011 at 1:14 am
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by toyotaboy95
Not exactly sure what grudge you hold against the HKG SKL...
Nothing - User experience.

Beside - I expect much more from SQ than UA. Bottom line - SQ is a 5-star airlines.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: nobody
I think SQ SKL food are the best out of 3 (if you like Asian food). To me RCC and TG ROC pretty much tie, depends on time of day. Food on TG and RCC pretty much coming out from the same kitchen unless I am missing something here.

SKL is a bit dark not as airy compare to the other two, I don't see people complain about SIN T3 SKL here. But all in all I think people here are splitting hair to figure out which is the best lounge in HKG. Whichever lounge you go to it is still better than anything I have experience in North America. SFO SKL lounge maybe nice in SFO standard (which isn't saying much) but I don't think they are as good as the one in HKG. HKG SKL certainly better than the one in TPE also.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:30 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by mobilebucky
I think SQ SKL food are the best out of 3 (if you like Asian food). To me RCC and TG ROC pretty much tie, depends on time of day. Food on TG and RCC pretty much coming out from the same kitchen unless I am missing something here.

SKL is a bit dark not as airy compare to the other two, I don't see people complain about SIN T3 SKL here. But all in all I think people here are splitting hair to figure out which is the best lounge in HKG. Whichever lounge you go to it is still better than anything I have experience in North America. SFO SKL lounge maybe nice in SFO standard (which isn't saying much) but I don't think they are as good as the one in HKG. HKG SKL certainly better than the one in TPE also.

Even if you don't like Asian food, the salads and ice cream are a nice touch. To say the HKG SQ lounge is bad is .
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by mobilebucky

Agree that TG and RCC get their food from the same kitchen IME.

Got to visit SQ SKL next time that I am in HKG. Not aware of it until I read this thread.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
If you want to see the best Red Carpet Club in the system, go to the RCC in Hong Kong. I don't think there's a better *A lounge there. (Yes the CX Pier or Wing is better, but that's not a *A lounge).

HKG has good food (hot entrees--and usually several to choose from, ice cream, Oreos and other treats), good drink, it's spacious, has showers...It's how all RCCs SHOULD be.

Some say the TG lounge is better, I don't like it as much, but I could see how some might say that.
+1

I also am relatively new to *G, and the HKG RCC was fantastic. Decent wines, liquors, great "finger" sandwiches, and tons of sodas for the taking in the fridge.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Never managed to get to the HKG SKL to date. I like the RCC better than the TG lounge, especially for the F section. It's a wash for C.

The showers are much better throughout in the RCC though. The one shower in the TG lounge is claustrophic.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:22 pm

would someone know if I can enter the RCC HKG with a Continental single use lounge pass ( recd from OnePass mastercard) ?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by snshahmd
would someone know if I can enter the RCC HKG with a Continental single use lounge pass ( recd from OnePass mastercard) ?

I would assume you can get in.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:55 pm

The primary reason for asking was that a lot of the times these types of Lounge passes are only good at the US locations.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by snshahmd
The primary reason for asking was that a lot of the times these types of Lounge passes are only good at the US locations.

Oh, well I can't answer for sure, never tried it.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Platinum
The TG lounge is really nice actually, although, I did get to talk to Jackie Chan in SQ's lounge for 5-10 minutes. It's really up to you, I find the SQ lounge quite convenient just to crash in for 30 minutes as I can skim a magazine, the food's alright and it's right by the exit from passport control. Whilst it's no Cabin or Wing or Pier it isn't atrocious and I have always found the service to be of a high standard.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:15 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I didn't read all the threads but do have one piece of advice. Stay away from the Emirates Lounge. Open air, uncomfortable with just ok food. I was in F on EK and ended up going over to the RCC using my membership.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: AC*E35
HKG RCC and *G lounges

Hey flying through HKG on a *G J ticket with like 7 hours to kill.

Does anyone know what the Hkg RCC lounge is like? Or what the other *G lounges are like / suggestions on where to spend my time.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by highlander88
Hey flying through HKG on a *G J ticket with like 7 hours to kill.

Does anyone know what the Hkg RCC lounge is like? Or what the other *G lounges are like / suggestions on where to spend my time.
What airline are you connecting to? Of the *A lounges, I like the Thai Airways one best. If you're connecting outside *A, for example to Cathay Pacific, they have a couple very nice lounges near their gates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.