Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by GretelNick
Is there any possibility of pro-rating 2017 spend to receive the PQD waiver for 2018?
I've never heard of that being an option.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Is there any possibility of pro-rating 2017 spend to receive the PQD waiver for 2018?

I don't have this card, but if I applied for it now, I wouldn't hit the $25 spend this year.
No, the spend period is Jan 1-Dec 31, although this year you would get the 50k sign up bonus
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club

I don't have this card, but if I applied for it now, I wouldn't hit the $25 spend this year.
Not that I am aware of. Spend is caculated by the calander year.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Thanks to Chase and MP for covering my breakfast at EWR (7/22) in C terminal near the 8x gates! Early morning flight from PIT with snack basket, connecting to BOS flight with snack basket and no C lounge. Was great to have a free full breakfast and covered the tip as well! ^
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Any point to Explorer card with status

Hey all --

I'm just wondering, is there any point to keeping my Explorer card if I have status on UA? When I opened the card, I did not have status, but I have now attained Silver, and am likely to attain Gold this year -- so I'll be set through 2018 at least.

I hardly charge anything to the card, as my Sapphire Reserve's 3 UR points per dollar beat the 2x on the Explorer, so it doesn't have use to me for PQD waivers and such either.

That pretty much leaves the 2 club passes, which I seldom use. Is there any reason to pay the $95 fee? Does the Explorer card grant any additional award availability that Silver status does not? I'm tempted to cancel it and move the credit limit over to my Sapphire Reserve.

Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:59 pm

No I don't need the waiver. It could be helpful for Gold in some years, but I'll attain Silver easily without it. And in any case, I won't ever spend 25K on the card, so it doesn't really play in regardless.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Azmordean
That pretty much leaves the 2 club passes, which I seldom use. Is there any reason to pay the $95 fee? Does the Explorer card grant any additional award availability that Silver status does not? I'm tempted to cancel it and move the credit limit over to my Sapphire Reserve.
The added award availability for cardholders and elite members is identical, and the checked bag fee waiver is as good, or better, for elite members as for cardholders.

If you don't need the PQD waiver, the Explorer card isn't particularly useful for a Sapphire Reserve cardholder, in my opinion.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
The added award availability for cardholders and elite members is identical, and the checked bag fee waiver is as good, or better, for elite members as for cardholders.

If you don't need the PQD waiver, the Explorer card isn't particularly useful for a Sapphire Reserve cardholder, in my opinion.
Cool thanks for confirming! I'll go ahead and cancel it for now.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If you close the explorer card you'll lose upgrade eligibility on award tickets.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by boat9781
If you close the explorer card you'll lose upgrade eligibility on award tickets.
We consider this to be of value, and it's the only reason we have the card.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boat9781
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
We consider this to be of value, and it's the only reason we have the card.
That's a good point -- I'd forgotten about that. OP -- I don't know how frequently that comes up for you, but it's a potential benefit. I'm not sure whether or not it's worth $95 -- presumably it depends upon the routes that you travel and how frequently you redeem domestic saver award tickets in economy (for yourself).
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:37 pm

If a CPU rarely clears for even a Gold, would it really clear on an award ticket for a silver...like ever?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
CPU eligibility on award tickets, PQD waiver, and two UC passes are the only benefits I can think of for anyone Silver or higher. Ironically I might actually use my passes, though you can always cancel the card right after getting a new year's set.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
If a CPU rarely clears for even a Gold, would it really clear on an award ticket for a silver...like ever?
Yes, on leisure routes. CUN, SJO, etc.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
In a similar situation, 1MM so lifetime UA *G.

I cancelled my Explorer card recently (now using a cash back card instead) and immediately starting getting sign up notifications including a 70,000 miles signup bonus and a $50 statement credit.

I am not a CC churner; but if you have not received a signup bonus for the Explorer card in the last 24 months it seems like a reasonable strategy to cancel, and then reapply when it is favorable.

SL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.