Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com change flight link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Wouldn't they rebook in G and put OP back in the CPU queue? This is not an instrument upgrade. N* situation in the Wiki.
Correct I misread
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: 1K
Is it just me or have SDCs gotten much more challenging in the last few months?

Earlier this year when I was Plat, I had zero difficulty getting SDCs on very full flights with no discussion about fare differences. Although I didn't check fare classes, I find it highly unlikely that at T-24 the fares available weren't much higher on the pecking order than my original fares (usually in the deep discount economy levels). I even had excellent success at getting the $200 fee waived if I was T+24.

In the last 3 months I have had zero success with SDCs without paying the crazy Z->M or Z->B fare differences. I recently got 1K and still no difference.

The change was so abrupt that I wonder if it was a directive from Jeffy Boy to screw us frequent flyers even more.

//end rant
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by ShagU
In my (limited) experience, this is generally the case. I've always had luck going up to the ticket counter (if I'm starting a trip), or a gate agent (for the flight I want to switch to) getting me the routing I wanted. Only once has a kiosk offered me a "better" routing. It might help if you can tell them which flights you specifically want.
After a few times at the counter, I now use the phone or app for SDC. The airport folks didn't understand what I wanted or that it was possible. This could be because I did not explain it properly or because of training....I never bothered to worry about why.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by zdog2x
Is it just me or have SDCs gotten much more challenging in the last few months?
From my perspective (1K, serial SDC'er), it is just you.

I have had the same success recently as I have always had.

I hope your experience improves!

Originally Posted by NJFlyer42
After a few times at the counter, I now use the phone or app for SDC. The airport folks didn't understand what I wanted or that it was possible. This could be because I did not explain it properly or because of training....I never bothered to worry about why.
Exactly the opposite of my experience this week. Check in counter agent knew exactly what I wanted, and allowed me to SDC to a flight 26 hours before my original flight.

I rarely SDC at the counter though, and this was an odd situation where I decided to go to the airport a day early to see what I could make happen, so maybe I just got lucky.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
SDC roulette next week!

Hello FTers,

I have all of next week off and I need something to do/somewhere to go. I want to play some SDC roulette next week, by trying to extend my connections overnight and seeing how long I can go!

Here's my plan.
* I'm based out of PHL and originating travel from there.
* Plan to buy a modest ticket to the west coast. The fares are high now, though I found PHL-ORD-YVR-ORD-PHL for a little over US$600 (about what I want to spend).
* Hotel budget: try to get it under US$100/night, though I'll go up to US$200 if I have to.
* I figure I want to get a low-mid tier fare class, increasing the chance that I can SDC into a like fare class (the last time I flew the bottom-of-the-barrel N class, there was hardly any availability). Outbound is T class, return is L class.
* The outbound connection in ORD is only 52 minutes. I *WANT* to miss my connection so I can stay in ORD overnight.
* Don't book any hotels beforehand! Since I'd like to SDC and delay, I can easily book same-day hotels on Hilton if I need to (preferred brand), as I have Gold status there. I have similar mid-tier status on Marriott and Hyatt, too. Last ditch effort, I'll use Hotel Tonight to get a same day hotel.
* Fly out on 30 December, put a dummy return 1 January, with the expectation that I can SDC/delay to return 4 January at the latest. I'm not entirely sure I can start SDC'ing the return if I'm still flying the outbound (after some sort of delay) to YVR on 31 December. I guess I can if it's 24 hours before-hand?
* I have Global Entry and I haven't used it yet. It's the perfect chance to do so to facilitate re-entry to the US! (Heck, I haven't been out of the country in over a decade!)
* Pack clothes for 5-6 nights in just one carry-on. No checked baggage.

Questions--
* Is it tough to get from YVR airport to downtown? Don't know the area and it's been decades since I've gone to that city, let alone Canada.
* Any tips to minimise any unhappy or bad surprises? This is somewhat of a chancy proposition and there's a chance for the unexpected to happen, though I don't want to get screwed in a really bad situation (like getting stranded somewhere with no hotel ).

Thanks in advance, for any insight to make this a pleasant experience!
Old Dec 26, 2014, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost*

Hoping I can get a little help with this one. Apologize in advance if this is covered up thread, but I'm on my phone so searching problematic at the moment.

Flying AAA-ORD-CCC this weekend. Wife and I have split records from the outbound. AAA-ORD is a longer segment that CPUs have already cleared for us both. ORD-CCC is a short midwest segment on an E45 right now.

Want to extend time in ORD by a few hours, so remain on the same flight to ORD and keep the CPUs, while taking a later flight same afternoon on ORD-CCC (which is a bigger aircraft as well - CR7 and has 9s in pretty much across the board in Y buckets).

Will the app allow me to SDC on just the later flight while keeping the first segment upgraded? In the more distant past, I know the app hasn't offered just a later second connection while keeping the same first segment, but noticed on Thanksgiving it did for me (though didn't have a CPU on that one). So the main question is whether doing an SDC like this through the app will keep the upgrade in tact.

And if the app won't let me do this, will an agent let me SDC like this? Of course, this is all assuming that the fate class is still open on the ORD-CCC I want to switch to.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
... Will the app allow me to SDC on just the later flight while keeping the first segment upgraded?....
And if the app won't let me do this, will an agent let me SDC like this? Of course, this is all assuming that the fate class is still open on the ORD-CCC I want to switch to.
SDC starts will the first remaining unflown segments, so do a future segment with prior unflown segments is problematic. App/Kiosk are lost causes on this (especially with an upgrade) and something an agent will help but strictly speaking that is outside of the SDC policy. Typically you need to wait to get to the airport that you want to make the change. SDC was not designed for extending layovers.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
SDC starts will the first remaining unflown segments, so do a future segment with prior unflown segments is problematic. App/Kiosk are lost causes on this (especially with an upgrade) and something an agent will help but strictly speaking that is outside of the SDC policy. Typically you need to wait to get to the airport that you want to make the change. SDC was not designed for extending layovers.
Hmm..I could swear the app offered me the same first flight, later connection last time I used it in November (but I wasn't trying for that just noticed it as something I have never seen before).

Ok...so if it's best to wait until the connecting airport to do this, are checked bags problematic for this approach? Unfortunately, have a checked bag (24" - so not even close to carry-on compliant) - usually I don't but not this time. The last segment is domestic US, so PPBM in effect.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Hmm..I could swear the app offered me the same first flight, later connection last time I used it in November (but I wasn't trying for that just noticed it as something I have never seen before).

Ok...so if it's best to wait until the connecting airport to do this, are checked bags problematic for this approach? Unfortunately, have a checked bag (24" - so not even close to carry-on compliant) - usually I don't but not this time. The last segment is domestic US, so PPBM in effect.
If the kiosk did it, it was a mistake and not SOP. I wouldn't count on it.

Checked bags means you're screwed anyway.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:42 pm

..... The last segment is domestic US, so PPBM in effect.
PPBM disappeared on domestic flights 10+ years ago.
But you will still have an issue on SDC with checked bags.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
PPBM disappeared on domestic flights 10+ years ago.
But you will still have an issue on SDC with checked bags.
Sorry...mucked that up...meant not in effect. But sounds like it can still be a problem with SDC like this.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Question Changing a RPU waitlisted flight?

I've read the wiki and searched this thread but haven't found a definite answer to my question.

I'm flying HNL-IAH-EWR a few weeks from now on an L fare. I applied an RPU to the flights and the HNL-IAH leg already cleared. The IAH-EWR leg waitlisted. IAH-EWR is on a 737 and it's showing F8 so the chances of it clearing are small.

There's an IAH-EWR flight on a 777 about an hour before the one I'm booked and biz class on that flight looks almost empty (showing R8 and only 4 occupied seats on the seatmap).

What's my best strategy for SDC to the 777 flight if it's still showing R availability?

Should I try to SDC at 24 hours prior to my booked flight? This would be inside 24 hours from the 777 flight so will an agent be able to "move" the RPU to the 777 flight?

Should I try to SDC at IAH using a kiosk since they seem to give better results?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I've read the wiki and searched this thread but haven't found a definite answer to my question.

I'm flying HNL-IAH-EWR a few weeks from now on an L fare. I applied an RPU to the flights and the HNL-IAH leg already cleared. The IAH-EWR leg waitlisted. IAH-EWR is on a 737 and it's showing F8 so the chances of it clearing are small.

There's an IAH-EWR flight on a 777 about an hour before the one I'm booked and biz class on that flight looks almost empty (showing R8 and only 4 occupied seats on the seatmap).

What's my best strategy for SDC to the 777 flight if it's still showing R availability?

Should I try to SDC at 24 hours prior to my booked flight? This would be inside 24 hours from the 777 flight so will an agent be able to "move" the RPU to the 777 flight?

Should I try to SDC at IAH using a kiosk since they seem to give better results?
An agent might be able to work, but it is technically against the rules to modify downstream segments.

When you get to IAH, you can change via app/kiosk/agent pretty easily, but I understand you don't want to do that if avoidable so you can clear the upgrade in advance.
getagb likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
So I have a flight purchased in P, MGA-YEG, and I want to do a SDC. I have done SDC many times before via the app without issues, but this time it does not present the option "switch to another flight" so I'm assuming I will have to call.

I have three issues

1) there are only two UA flights a day ex MGA so I have limited options.

2) The flight I want to change to does not have any F seats left, so will I be able to SDC into an economy seat?

3) I am hopefully going to be able to make at least one more SDC to postpone my flight by a full 24 hours. The flight the following morning does have F seats available, will I be able to SDC again if I am successful with #2?

Thanks for any advice! My window opens in about 2 hours.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, wanted to update my Sunday experience and provide more details on my eventually successful attempt to SDC my connecting flight only, with checked bags. It took a few tries with different agents using different methods, with different excuses as to why it couldn't be done. But was finally successful at the connection point.

The pertinent details: Full itinerary was SJU-ORD-CVG. With 1 checked bag. Traveling with my wife, who was on a separate record due to splitting when checking in for the outbound. CPU cleared in advance (T-48) for SJU-ORD, so did not want to give that up.

At T-24, tried to do it using the app, but wouldn't let either of us switch only the 2nd flight. At T-20 (or so) before my first flight, called reservations to see if they would make the change. They said they couldn't until 24 hours prior to the connecting flight I wanted to take, and I hadn't hit that window, so to call back.

I didn't have a chance to call back, so figured I'd try and do it at check in. But check in was a bit of a zoo. Premier access line was being handled by a contractor, and said I'd have to wait for a UA agent to actually do it. Since it was a bit of a mess there, I said no worries, I'll just do it at the gate.

At the gate, the lead agent looked at my record, and said couldn't do it because of my checked bag. Even though it directly conflicts with the SDC page online, which says you can SDC with checked bags as long as it is at least 1 hour prior to flight. So figure I'll have to do it later.

During the flight, once we were within wifi coverage, I tried to do it on the app. Interestingly, it gives my wife options to make the change but doesn't give me the option. Presumably it is the checked bag that is indeed the problem, since everything on our records were exactly the same otherwise. Although it wouldn't be completely surprising if that wasn't why either, since I've seen other situations where records were exactly the same but different SDC options show up.

On landing, I called reservations to find out if they would do it. They said that for whatever reason, my reservation was unable to make changes. But he also claimed that I couldn't have made the switch anyway, since my layover would become a stopover, and that I'd need to upfare.

Finally, went to CS at ORD, and the agent there did it without any issues whatsoever. Within 5 minutes, and no questions asked, we had BPs printed for the new flight (and got the final 2 upgrades at the gate). Upon arrival at CVG, our bag was already waiting at the bag desk...so not sure which flight it showed up on, but clearly, one of the afternoon departures before ours.

So while it was a hassle, I did eventually get the flight I wanted, and was able to spend the day in Chicago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.