Search

Any pleasant towns within 2-3 hrs of LHR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:01 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Any pleasant towns within 2-3 hrs of LHR

The question above says it all. If we flying into Heathrow is there any place we could take a bus or even a train to within 2 to 3 hours that would be a smaller town we could spend a few days relaxing before moving on to London.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
By train, you're talking about maybe an hour from LHR to London and then a train (possibly after using the subway to switch train stations, which adds to the hassle) to somewhere within an hour or two. This could include IIRC Cambridge, Oxford, Ely, maybe Bath, Bristol, Colchester, Stratford, and more. An hour by basically nonstop train from London covers most of southeastern England provided that there's good train service.

There's also the famous nearby village with the royal palace (I assume there's either a bus or a train route that doesn't require transferring in London) which would be simpler and more relaxing, although LHR to Cambridge/Oxford isn't bad at all.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
When are you traveling? If in summer, I would be more inclined to visit Brighton or someplace else on the coast. If later in the year, a town with more indoor activities would be the better choice.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:34 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
November

And I know about trains - I'm expressly (altho I wasn't clear) asking about buses or trains we could take from LHR without going into town.
We've been to Oxford several times so not Oxford. Maybe Cambridge altho we didn't care for it much when we were there a couple of years ago.

I've been trying to work it out on a map but I'm looking for towns people know of that would be pleasant for a few days.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: BA, A3, Hilton, IHG
Heathrow is not on the national train network, so to get an onward train you would need to first head to London, it is on the long distance coach network however. Or you could take the Railair coach to Reading (every 20 minutes, take 40 minutes) and have access to much of the west of the country and Midlands via train. This would probably be the quicker option.

In your situation I would head to Bath. Lots of tourist things to do - Roman Baths, Jane Austen stuff, Royal Crescent etc. If you are there at the end of November the Christmas market will be on as well.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:41 am

There is an extremely frequent coach service from Heathrow to Oxford.
I'm also a fan of Winchester, though direct coaches to there aren't so often, about every 90 minutes.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:04 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Exeter's rather nice - easily reachable via the Reading rail-air service.

https://www.visitexeter.com/

The city itself is quite small, but the nearby coastal and country towns (Dartmouth, Totnes, Brixham, Beer, etc) are really rather lovely and easily reachable.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:04 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Locally you can get buses to Windsor, see the castle, stroll round the Great Park,
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I'd add Salisbury to the list. IMHO the finest Cathedtal in Britain plus all round very pleasant in the midst of beautiful countryside.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Slough.

It's an acquired taste.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
You could get the coach to Oxford (2-3 coaches an hour, wifi, power sockets, toilets etc), then carry on to somewhere like Woodstock or Burford by local bus. Woodstock is a pretty little market town, with Blenheim Palace on the doorstep, and the cotswolds just there.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by squeakr
The question above says it all. If we flying into Heathrow is there any place we could take a bus or even a train to within 2 to 3 hours that would be a smaller town we could spend a few days relaxing before moving on to London.
I thing you should consider Windsor. It would be 20 minutes from Heathrow airport. It is basically tourist central as it has lots of cafes and restaurants.

You can also visit massive castle which comes in the way. If you would like test something unique, you can visit Fudge Kitchen.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by AlwaysonBA663
Heathrow is not on the national train network, so to get an onward train you would need to first head to London, it is on the long distance coach network however. Or you could take the Railair coach to Reading (every 20 minutes, take 40 minutes) and have access to much of the west of the country and Midlands via train. This would probably be the quicker option.

In your situation I would head to Bath. Lots of tourist things to do - Roman Baths, Jane Austen stuff, Royal Crescent etc. If you are there at the end of November the Christmas market will be on as well.
I'd second the Bath recommendation. Nice easy train connection - take the HEX to Paddington, then a 1.5 hr ride to Bath from there. Lots to see and do.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by AlwaysonBA663
Heathrow is not on the national train network, so to get an onward train you would need to first head to London...
It's a 20-minute ride from LHR to Slough station on those 7 Series buses, however, and from there you can get to lots of places without having to go into London -- either direct or by changing in Reading.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Slough.

It's an acquired taste.
Well, I was going to suggest maybe Rye or somewhere in the Lake District, but who can argue with that? Maybe we could send her to Southall for three days?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.