Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UK immigration exit checks thread (starts 8th Apr 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stut
The UK will reintroduce immigration exit controls on 8th Apr 2015. These were previously abolished in 1998, and rely on carriers checking travel documents (passports or ID cards) of departing travellers. This is already in place for air travel and is today being introduced for ports and Eurotunnel.

The official government site is here.

This is a wikipost and can be edited by anyone. Please put any details in this post, and include your experiences in the threads.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UK immigration exit checks thread (starts 8th Apr 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:14 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
It seems like the UK has been doing this for air passengers leaving the country for a while. So they must have been dealing with the question of someone arriving on one passport and departing on another in some way - possibly by ignoring it.

If we assume that everyone is checked on the way in across all border crossings (titter ye not!) then foreigners leaving who did not arrive, are all going to be people leaving on the foreign passport after arriving on the UK passport. The government need only concern itself with foreigners who arrive and then leave after they should. Simples!
Using advance passenger information (API) from the airlines they could get consistent arrival/departure data for simple round trips even if the API doesn't match the passport used at the border control point. (Though the PNR could list both passports, if the airline collected that info.)

When I flew from Boston to London and back last year I gave VS only my US passport info, but when I arrived at LHR I left that passport in my pocket and entered through the e-passport lanes with my IE passport. API would match up my arrival and departure flights, though if they didn't correlate my actual entry with the API (which could be done fairly easily using my name and birthdate, which are the same on both passports) then Border Force might assume I spent two weeks sitting in the transit lounge at LHR T3.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ajax
When departing the US, the airline always wants to see my US passport to ensure that I have not overstayed in the US before departing.
That is a very different experience than what I see for my travel parties' members when the US-EU dual-citizens are leaving the U.S. (more frequently on one-way tickets) for the UK and/or Schengen Zone EU/EEA airports.

U.S. airlines check foreign passports for international trips, but the airlines generally do not check these for purposes of the airline determining what is an overstaying or not.

The US -- like the UK -- still manages to have mis-matched (or not matched) arrival info with departure info for some of its citizens and/or other legal residents and/or visitors. This would be less likely to occur if the government didn't rely upon airline collection and filings and instead used its own direct checks.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 15, 2015 at 4:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.