Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LCY to LHR..How to

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

LCY to LHR..How to

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. First time in Europe and I have a flight scheduled from VCE to BOS in September on BA. The crazy deal is that the flight does this weird zig-zag routing in London England. Its like this: VCE>LCY arriving at 2:20pm then depart LHR>BOS departing at 6pm. Is there a good transfer service from LCY to LHR (I saw only 1 private service, which I'm not sure of) and is that enough time to clear customs, collect bags, then recheck in and board next flight? I want to avoid public transportation unless its a shuttle making minimal stops..

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...on-guides.html

To LHR public transport is the best way to go
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Also see these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...rs-enough.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...onnection.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...onnection.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18654233-post53.html
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by SPYDER67
VCE>LCY arriving at 2:20pm then depart LHR>BOS departing at 6pm. Is there a good transfer service from LCY to LHR (I saw only 1 private service, which I'm not sure of) and is that enough time to clear customs, collect bags, then recheck in and board next flight?
It's pretty tight. Public transport is actually your best and fastest option. Over-the-road shuttles and transfer services can get caught in traffic. You can do Super Shuttle, Green Tomato Car, etc. but it'll cost a packet and you're at no real advantage timewise.

With time at a premium -- you've essentially got 90 minutes to get from your aircraft at LCY to check-in at LHR T5 -- I would suggest getting up to Paddington for the Heathrow Express.

So...

DLR from LCY to Tower Hill

Circle Line from Tower Hill to Paddington

HEX from Paddington to T5

The HEX bit takes about 20 minutes and the whole trip ought to take 90 or so if you're lucky. You should just make it. I'm not sure I would chance it myself though.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, ICHG Platinum
I agree, definitely use public transport, it will be much quicker. The DLR service is regular and there's only minutes between trains. The tube is the same and ŵont be busy as its outwith peak, and the HEX leaves every 10 minutes or so, so that is without a doubt your best route - but it will be tight.
Good luck
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
DLR LCY to Canning Town

Jubilee Canning Town to Green Park

Picadilly Green Park to T5

All in less than 90 minutes and much cheaper than using the HEX. Plus it's one change less as well.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Picadilly Green Park to T5... All in less than 90 minutes...
Really? IM modest E the Piccadilly Line alone can take almost an hour from LHR to the center of town.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by BearX220
Really? IM modest E the Piccadilly Line alone can take almost an hour from LHR to the center of town.
TFL journey planner posts LCY - LHR T5 as 1 hr 25 minutes.

Depends where in the center you start but e.g. Piccadilly circus to T5 is 51 minutes
Old Dec 28, 2014, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

I canceled this connection/routing, since this is my first time in London, I prefer to just wait it out and maybe I'll get lucky with a same airport connection or at least a Gatwick transfer, which has a shuttle service between it and LHR. Thanks everyone for helping me decidING on the best course of action to take. Appreciated!
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by SPYDER67
I canceled this connection/routing, since this is my first time in London . . . .
Best decision you could have made.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:59 am

No longer relevant to the OP, but may be of use to others who find this thread...: I would go for the Tube option. Time-wise there is probably not an awful lot in it, the main reason I would choose that option is that it can all be done on one ticket or Oyster Card.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
I would go for the Tube option. Time-wise there is probably not an awful lot in it, the main reason I would choose that option is that it can all be done on one ticket or Oyster Card.
Concur on Oyster convenience; unconvinced on time wash. I would certainly go DLR/tube all the way if I were unconcerned about speed but in the OP's (now moot) case time was driving factor. It would be fun to organize a Top Gear-style competition starting from the LCY toilets, one team going via HEX, another via Piccadilly Line, and a third via black cab, and see who gets to T5 check-in desks first.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After a 16min wait for a T5 train before Christmas I have now permanently given up on the Piccadilly line. Unless you have simply hours to play with it is far too unreliable and unpredictable as viable airport transport. The HEX may only go every 15mins but it runs to schedule and that is worth the premium. I can leave my office and know that 50mins later I'll be clearing conformance at T5. With the Piccadilly I could be anywhere up to and including being chucked out in the platform at Northfields which has happened more than once...
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Must admit I had this question some time ago and as a family of 4 decided the train was not the best option so used the below for a transfer which also took in some nice sights of London along the way:

http://falconcarslimited.co.uk/contact-us/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.