LCY-LHR connection

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
LCY-LHR connection

Flying DUB-PHX, flights would be DUB-LCY-LHR-PHL-PHX in F, does BA offer a shuttle for their first class pax's between LCY-LHR? If yes, is there a rep to meet the plane at LCY waiting for F pax's? IF no (I hope this isn't the case) what is the best way to get from LCY to LHR?

TIA
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:28 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
No, you need to make your own way there (including taking your luggage).

Taxi or pre-booked car would be the easiest. Otherwise DLR and tube.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:33 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by nux

What he said. ^

Depending on how much luggage you have I would go for a pre-booked car. It's probably overall the quickest way too.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:52 am

There's a lot of service between DUB & LHR - couldn't you book one of those instead? It would be a lot less hassle, whichever way you do the transfer.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:06 am

Programs: BAEC
I did LCY-LHR on Friday using the DLR-Tube method, it was OK, but the tube was very hot and very busy. Took about 1hr 25 mins.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
There's a lot of service between DUB & LHR - couldn't you book one of those instead? It would be a lot less hassle, whichever way you do the transfer.
Exactly. Booking DUB-LCY only to have to traipse all the way across the city to Heathrow is really making things exceptionally and unnecessarily difficult for yourself.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I am afraid that there's no transfer service for anyone in normal circumstances between the 3 London airports. Your First status only really kicks in once you arrive in LHR for the First check in area (far end of the terminal when you arrive, the South end).

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Exactly. Booking DUB-LCY only to have to traipse all the way across the city to Heathrow is really making things exceptionally and unnecessarily difficult for yourself.
I'd certainly agree here. The only merit I can think of, apart perhaps from price, is that on a nice sunny day a landing at LCY is quite breathtaking. Or perhaps if there is plenty of time for the connection and you want to pop into Harrods on the way or something. But unless there's a price difference of $50 plus ($100 if using a car) then it wouldn't be worth it.

Originally Posted by nux

Originally Posted by paul4040
What he said. ^

Depending on how much luggage you have I would go for a pre-booked car. It's probably overall the quickest way too.
I would disagree that a car or taxi would be quickest, certainly not reliably so. The way I would characterise it is: car/taxi for comfort if you have a lot of bags; DLR + tube for speed and reliability. Traffic around London is like traffic around any big city.

Here is my breakdown of timings:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18654233-post53.html
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I am afraid that there's no transfer service for anyone in normal circumstances between the 3 London airports. Your First status only really kicks in once you arrive in LHR for the First check in area (far end of the terminal when you arrive, the South end).
First only kicks in when you get through security and into the Concorde Room. I'd not bother going to the First desks if there's an empty bag drop desk on the way. It could be full of golds queuing there because they can. If I'm arriving by train I take the first bag drop desk that's free only reaching first if none other desks were.

There's no special F security channel but south security fast track is usually the best as there's a door into the Concorde Room immediately after security.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:50 am

Or if its after October you can fly to LCY from DUB
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by benjyyy
I think that's what the OP's already planning to do, but I agree with everyone else that if it can be changed, it makes more sense to fly DUB-LHR so that there's no airport change before continuing LHR-PHL.

Given the hassle of getting from LCY to LHR by any means, Personally, I'd be prepared to pay a certain amount for a separate cash ticket, if necessary, in order to fly DUB-LHR instead of DUB-LCY.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by benjyyy
That's what they're doing (for some reason) flying into LCY and then F from LHR.

Although I like LCY it's not worth the hassle in my mind. First should be about relaxation and convenience rather than changing between airports.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by layz
That's what they're doing (for some reason) flying into LCY and then F from LHR.

Although I like LCY it's not worth the hassle in my mind. First should be about relaxation and convenience rather than changing between airports.
Oops, misread the OP. Thought they were doing DUB-LHR-LCY-onwards.

In which case it def makes sense to fly DUB-LHR if possible. 90 mins with luggage on DLR,Tube doesnt fit well with an F itinerary!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:38 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
LCY-LHR connection

If you can move the first leg of your flight, I would be tempted in your scenario to do so.

Either move it to a LHR flight, or make it into a stopover. LCY is a good place to discover London from. DLR or taxi into a good hotel, drop your bags and explore the city. Next morning get yourself to LHR.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I think that's what the OP's already planning to do, but I agree with everyone else that if it can be changed, it makes more sense to fly DUB-LHR so that there's no airport change before continuing LHR-PHL.

Given the hassle of getting from LCY to LHR by any means, Personally, I'd be prepared to pay a certain amount for a separate cash ticket, if necessary, in order to fly DUB-LHR instead of DUB-LCY.
This is an award travel and the only routing they are giving me is DUB-LCY I would rather do DUB-LHR
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Thank you everyone, does anyone have a referral for a car service?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.