Wiki Posts
Search

14 day trip in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, El Al Matmid, OK Plus
14 day trip in the UK

I'm in the middle of planning a two-week tour around England, Wales and Scotland with my grandparents.

We will spend 6 days in London before setting off for the two-week road trip. I am thinking about going from London first to St Ives, and from there working our way up the West side of the UK, into Wales, and on up to Scotland. After a few days driving around Scotland we would then come back down to London via York.

My grandparents are okay with walking but can not hike or do anything too strenuous. I would like the them to see the National Parks and my grandfather would ideally like to have a day fishing in a river somewhere.

I'm familiar with London but have never travelled in the UK much, therefore was looking for some suggestions/recommendations of interesting, quintessentially "English/Welsh/Scottish" things to see, do/places to eat/sleep/restaurants etc. We would be travelling next July.

Thanks very much in advance!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Do take your time getting from Scotland to York. There are some great beaches & castles in Northumberland, and there's also Durham further South.

On your way North, if you go up the west do take in the Lake District National Park.

And I think The Cotswolds is about as English as you can get. The Dial House Hotel in Bourton on the Water is great for a splurge.

Oh, what's the appeal of St Ives? It's a long drive down (& back)...
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:01 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
FWIW, St Ives is one of my favourite spots in England. But yes, it is a long way down!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:18 am

But otherwise, there's so much to see in those regions.

Down in Cornwall, you've got wonderful coves and seaside towns - St Ives, yes, but also places like Mousehole, Mevagissey, Padstein Padstow, St Mawes, Fowey, Looe... Then practically the whole of the Lizard Peninsula, the Minack theatre, St Michael's Mount, and then you can add in the more touristy places like the Eden Project and the Gweek Seal Sanctuary. Add in the Isles of Scilly, and I could quite happily take up a whole fortnight in the West Country.

I assume from your description that you'll be driving. Cornwall is a weird place for driving (although personally, I normally get the train down and rent a car). It's kind of cut off by the single-carriageway section of the A30 over Dartmoor, which is a huge bottlenecks on busy days (usually Saturdays, as that's changeover day for holiday rentals). Then you basically have the A30 as an artery, and travelling along it seems absurdly quick. The other trunk roads like the A390 are normal speed, but then the back roads, which you'll see plenty off, are often single-track and insanely slow.

Coming up, you pass Bath and Cheltenham, and then have the option to head into Wales - although how deep you get in depends on timing. Again, if you're near a main road corridor (like the M4), driving is fast, but once you're in the back roads, it's very slow. Getting to the (very similar to Cornwall, but pleasingly tranquil) Pembrokeshire Coast takes a while - and heading up from there towards Anglesey and North Wales takes even longer. You could head up the Wye Valley and Welsh Borders as an alternative - or take a route through the Brecon Beacons.

Further north, and you're into the big cities of the North-West. There are definite points of interest around here, but it depends what you're after. If smaller, historic towns are more of a draw, try somewhere like Chester. But then, you may be drawn to Liverpool - I don't know.

The next obvious point en route is the Lake District. It's an incredibly popular National Park - though not without reason. There are upsides (a well developed tourist industry) and downsides (very busy at peak seasons). I tend to find that accommodation inside the National Park is fusty and chintzy, so stay just outside, somewhere like Kendal (a lovely little town) or Cockermouth. Highlights for me (apart from the obvious lakes and mountains) are the smaller towns like Hawkshead, and places like the Grasmere Gingerbread shop, or the surprisingly interesting Beatrix Potter house.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I'd keep in mind there's more than one St. Ives (Cornwall; Cambridgeshire)!

The beach in the west vs. Oliver Cromwell's hometown in the east.

Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:08 am

Yes, don't head to the one in Cambridgeshire.

Not that there's anything wrong with it, really. It's one of those places that annoys me slightly. It's a very pleasant town, but, with that riverscape and old bridge, it ought to be stunning.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If your grandfather is after a days salmon fishing then the Hilton run Dunkeld House Hotel would be one place you might like to stay. Good area to explore so you could base yourself there for a few days.

Cornwall is lovely although during the peak holiday period I find it all a bit of a chore to be honest....not a lot of level walking either in the fishing villages which might give your grandparents problems getting about. You could head for the quieter and less tourist trodden parts of England on your way to Wales. Somerset and Shropshire are amongst my favourites. The Yorkshire Dales is a good alternative to the Lake District.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
You might consider the train or plane to Cornwall and back from Scotland which will cut back significantly on driving and time.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You need to be very careful about this plan. If you have never travelled outside London you might have this vision of broad empty roads and free flowing traffic. The truth will be painfully different.

Work on the basis of averaging 40 miles per hour in the car. You should do better but jams, delays, getting lost, breaks and slow country roads will slow you massively.

Don't underestimate petrol costs as well which will be substantial given UK prices.

I am almost tempted to tell you to get the train from London to Bristol, hire a car to see the south west, drop it back in Bristol then fly to Scotland. Hire a car, drop it back in Scotland. Take the train to York for a couple of days then get another train back to London.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:31 am

Actually, I did a similar thing a couple of years ago.

Train London to Bodmin/Truro, hire car, flight from Newquay to Manchester, hire car, drop again at Manchester, then direct train from the airport to York. All pretty cheap if booked in advance.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, El Al Matmid, OK Plus
Wow, thanks for all the great replies - this is exactly the information I was looking for . I'll start doing some research into all the places recommended.

To answer a few points:

I thought about St Ives (the Cornwall one!) because I spent a summer or two there as a young child and thought it would be nice to go back. It's not essential, but I thought it would be a nice way to start the trip. I actually grew up in London but was one of those Londoners who, unfortunately, rarely left the city unless it was to go to an airport.

I thought about train/car/plane options but my grandparents prefer the comfort of just getting into a car, sitting there, and a couple of hours later arriving at our destination. It's not the most time-efficient but it's the more hassle-free option for them.

Anymore ideas, please keep them coming

Thanks again to you all!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
What's the parking like in St Ives? I got the impression it wasn't that great when I was staying there a few years ago It is very nice though, steep hills aside. The countryside around St Ives is lovely.

Wales wise, what about the Gower Peninsula? That's supposed to be beautiful and I shouldn't think it would be that bad a drive from Cornwall, at least you'd have a fair bit of it on motorways.

Kendal is a good shout and personally I really like Carlisle, though maybe it wouldn't be a very good base for exploring the Lake District. Maybe you could explore some part of Hadrian's Wall.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:38 pm

St Ives is awful for parking. I usually use the park+train option from St Erth or Lelant Saltings. You get a stunning train journey into the bargain...

The Barbara Hepworth museum is a highlight for me too - as is the Porthminster Cafe! The quality of light in the town is incredible - you can see what draws the artists in.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:42 pm

Carlisle is a great wee city - if you can, go to a service in the diminutive but perfectly formed cathedral, and see if you can sit in the choir. I'm not religious, but the quality of the music and surrounding was incredible.

It's not too bad from there to the North Lakes at all. And, as you say, Hadrian Wall country.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Don't forget that if you do travel by train that booking in advance can be very good value (even in 1st Class) if you stick to specific trains rather than a turn up and go on the day ticket. You can book 13 weeks in advance.

There are also a number of train passes you can get as well - your grandparents could get a senior rail card for example of they are aged over 60 which would get them 1/3rd off prices (even first class). It costs 30. see Senior rail card

If you are under 25 you could get a young persons railcard

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.