Community
Wiki Posts
Search

West London Parliamentary Trains to cease

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2012, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
West London Parliamentary Trains to cease

Just in case anyone hasn't done this yet who wants to you've only got until December to do these.

Clapham High Street to Kensington Olympia is London’s Parliamentary Train service which I've taken and will have to do it in the other direction before it closes. These services exist because of a previous passenger train service that used to run over the sections of track (Manchester to Brighton) that are used now exclusively by this train as the only regular passenger service. Running the service is often cheaper than going though the legal hassle of closing the track sections introduced after Beeching to stop easy closure of lines.

However after doing their sums the DfT have decided to run a public consultation aimed at removing these services because they don't represent value for money and might end up in the re-advertised franchise if left running. So basically if you want to do it you have until the 8th of December 2012 and if you want to object to the closure it's the 9th of August.

Basically you turn up for either the service from Kensington (Olympia) at 10:02 (only goes to Wandsworth Road) or the Clapham High Street train at 16:11 and there will be a train advertised on the screen as running at the time I've listed. As the departure time approaches the screen will change to say the next train is not due to stop there and not to stand to close to the platform edge/board it. However this is actually your train, and don't wait as they really don't hang around the doors only stay unlocked (they don't open them) for about 30 seconds and it will leave not long after they are locked again. So having pushed the button you can board your very own train and have a delightful journey that few others have done to sunny Olympia.* The train does stop at Wandsworth Road, Imperial Wharf, West Brompton where the same routine exists and on the times I've done it some confused people have approached the doors and then thought better of it.

On one trip a gentleman raced down the stairs and onto the platform at West Brompton, opened the doors and leapt on. He saw me and said I didn't think I'd make it and then stopped speaking when he looked around and saw the rest of the carriage was empty. I said I didn't think he meant to board that train and after hearing the announcement that we were only going one more stop said "No" and swore a bit . Then said he was hoping to get an earlier one to Milton Keynes and had hoped this was that service but running late.

The first time I did it was just after the afternoon service was extended (unbeknownst to me) to Clapham High Street and I only discovered this when we arrived at Olympia. I bumped into the train manager and I mentioned that I was his passenger on the train, and we both remarked what a nice service it was. He then had a thought and asked me where I'd boarded, and he then said you'll have to do it again to get the full experience as it now starts at Clapham High Street.

*Although it comes into Platform 2 which is the Northbound platform and this can be confusing for some people, especially all those who board thinking that it will be continuing North not heading back to Clapham Junction.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Jul 16, 2012 at 5:44 pm
Old May 13, 2012, 3:35 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Ah, I'll have to get my skates on then!

This Parliamentary train replaced an even stranger phenomenon: the Parliamentary train replacement bus service. You used to be able to get a bus from Ealing Broadway to Wandsworth Road, though staff would apparently deny all knowledge of it, and the only notice of it was a poster on a pillar facing a wall.

I suppose there's always Newhaven Marine...
Old May 13, 2012, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by teflon
Ah, I'll have to get my skates on then!

This Parliamentary train replaced an even stranger phenomenon: the Parliamentary train replacement bus service. You used to be able to get a bus from Ealing Broadway to Wandsworth Road, though staff would apparently deny all knowledge of it, and the only notice of it was a poster on a pillar facing a wall.
That was replaced by the train after complaints from a whole host of people including London TravelWatch who argued....
Originally Posted by London TravelWatch
that a proper closure procedure, with full consultation, should be implemented before a bus service could replace an existing rail service.
Well that's what's now happening.
Originally Posted by teflon
I suppose there's always Newhaven Marine...
Yeah but that one you can't use this one you can , at least until the 8th of December
Old May 13, 2012, 7:40 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
There's a few others, too - I happened upon a Paddington to Gerrards Cross service recently, which was rather handy, as I was heading for Ruislip at the time.

And further afield, the once-a-week Denton Flyer has something of a following (thanks, I'm sure, to the pub in Stalybridge station...)
Old May 13, 2012, 12:12 pm

Hmm... parliamentary trains always remind me of those lines in the Mikado's great song in Gilbert and Sullivan's operetta:
The idiot who, in railway carriages,
Scribbles on window-panes,
We only suffer
To ride on a buffer
In parliamentary trains.
Old May 13, 2012, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
There's a few others, too - I happened upon a Paddington to Gerrards Cross service recently, which was rather handy, as I was heading for Ruislip at the time.

And further afield, the once-a-week Denton Flyer has something of a following (thanks, I'm sure, to the pub in Stalybridge station...)
I think they use the Paddington one for driver training but I may be wrong on that.
Old May 13, 2012, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I think they use the Paddington one for driver training but I may be wrong on that.
They do - and it's also the diversion route for Chiltern train when Marylebone is closed.
Old May 13, 2012, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
They do - and it's also the diversion route for Chiltern train when Marylebone is closed.
Ah thank you, I think my friend who knows more about this than me told me that, but I wasn't 100% sure.
Old May 14, 2012, 3:41 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Geek-level detail of such oddities here: http://www.psul4all.free-online.co.uk/2012.htm
Old May 14, 2012, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
Geek-level detail of such oddities here: http://www.psul4all.free-online.co.uk/2012.htm
I just found the random train to my local station was interesting - That's serious stuff
Old May 14, 2012, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is so nonsensically typically British. I just love it.
Old May 15, 2012, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Can we do a West London Parliamentary Train Farewell Do? It would be quite fun to turn up en masse with a bottle of champagne (of course!) towards the end of its life...
Old May 15, 2012, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Can we do a West London Parliamentary Train Farewell Do? It would be quite fun to turn up en masse with a bottle of champagne (of course!) towards the end of its life...
Sounds like a very fun thing to do, and so nonsensically typically FT .

That won't look odd at all - a load of us with Champagne on Clapham High Street station boarding a train that says it isn't scheduled to stop there and don't get on it

I'm up for that anyone else?
Old May 15, 2012, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Does it run at weekends? I'm not sure I'm willing to give up a day off work... but it is random enough I think it could be fun
Old May 15, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I'll come if i'm not at work, saturday aftenoon would be fine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.