Car Rental Insurance in Ireland -- Very Confused

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car Rental Insurance in Ireland -- Very Confused

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I got the United card a month or so ago and the benefits guide just showed up last week. While it does not specifically exclude any countries, it states something to the effect that CDW is provided "in most countries". That little weasel word makes me think they can change it on the fly if they wish, so I would definitely get a personalized letter from the benefits administrator in your name, referencing the card number (or last 4 digits) and stating it is valid for your dates of travel.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
My recollection was that a generic description of benefits was not adequate. I contacted the benefit administrator and they faxed or emailed me a letter specific to me stating that I would have coverage in Ireland. I recommend that for greater certainty. They sent it same day.
Who would the benefit provider be? MasterCard? Chase? Or some 3rd party?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:12 pm

Chase has a benefits administrator / department. 1-888-880-5844 or 1-804-673-1691 outside of the US. I am not sure if that number is specific to the United card or all Chase cards. I am sure calling the number on the back of your card would also get you routed to the right department eventually.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:44 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by Superorb
Who would the benefit provider be? MasterCard? Chase? Or some 3rd party?
Depends on your card. Start by calling the customer service number on the back of your card, give them your request, and they'll transfer you to the appropriate department.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
I am going to Ireland for about 10 days, and have read this thread with interest. Checked with AMEX prem insurance and it does exclude Ireland, but not the UK. Because of costs/availability we are going into BFS. So we will be renting in the UK. Crossing over into Ireland and having an accident would probably muddy the waters.

Anyhow after reading the whole thread, I have made the decision to purchase every level of insurance available from the rental company. It seems that trying to go on the cheap on the insurance has lots of possible problems. We will just eat cheap a few nights but sleep much better.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:17 am

You need to tell the rental company that you intend to drive in the republic. There may be further insurance charges to pay for taking the car out if the UK - depends on who you're booked with.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by hawkxp
I am going to Ireland for about 10 days, and have read this thread with interest. Checked with AMEX prem insurance and it does exclude Ireland, but not the UK. Because of costs/availability we are going into BFS. So we will be renting in the UK. Crossing over into Ireland and having an accident would probably muddy the waters.

Anyhow after reading the whole thread, I have made the decision to purchase every level of insurance available from the rental company. It seems that trying to go on the cheap on the insurance has lots of possible problems. We will just eat cheap a few nights but sleep much better.
How do you know that expensive insurance you buy from the rental agency, that you likely won't get any written information about, won't find a reason to try to deny a claim? Full coverage is going to run $50 a day easily. I what world does it cost over $18,000 a year to insure a $12,000 Chevy Spark for damage?

I rented from Hertz in Dublin using my Chase Sapphire Preferred in October and had no issues whatsoever. It took a five minute phone call to Chase to get a letter of coverage. Hertz didn't even ask to see it and handed the keys over without even swiping my credit card (Gold Preferred - everything is set up online). Didn't even ask if I wanted insurance. Actually less hassle than my last couple rentals with Enterprise and Alamo trying to upsell me even here in the US.

Chase and Citi no longer exclude Ireland on any of their cards best I can tell. I am heading back to Dublin in May, but may take the bus up to Belfast and rent there. My preliminary research shows no extra insurance/CC hassles with renting in Northern Ireland. Some will charge about 30 euro to allow you to take the car to the Republic of Ireland. Hertz does not.

Really it just comes down to reading the terms and conditions and following them, which you should do with any contract.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by tev9999
How do you know that expensive insurance you buy from the rental agency, that you likely won't get any written information about, won't find a reason to try to deny a claim? Full coverage is going to run $50 a day easily. I what world does it cost over $18,000 a year to insure a $12,000 Chevy Spark for damage?

I rented from Hertz in Dublin using my Chase Sapphire Preferred in October and had no issues whatsoever. It took a five minute phone call to Chase to get a letter of coverage. Hertz didn't even ask to see it and handed the keys over without even swiping my credit card (Gold Preferred - everything is set up online). Didn't even ask if I wanted insurance. Actually less hassle than my last couple rentals with Enterprise and Alamo trying to upsell me even here in the US.

Chase and Citi no longer exclude Ireland on any of their cards best I can tell. I am heading back to Dublin in May, but may take the bus up to Belfast and rent there. My preliminary research shows no extra insurance/CC hassles with renting in Northern Ireland. Some will charge about 30 euro to allow you to take the car to the Republic of Ireland. Hertz does not.

Really it just comes down to reading the terms and conditions and following them, which you should do with any contract.
Maybe. Depends on how risk averse you are. You are correct that many Chase cards now offer comprehensive insurance for Ireland. That can save money, but a little research can save money as well while getting full coverage.

It sounds as if you did not have to make a claim. I'd contend that the real value of insurance kicks in once you have to make a claim--not at the front end when you rent. I have a clean accident and claims record in the US, and I regularly decline insurance and rely on my credit card coverage in every country but Ireland. On the other hand, on six trips to Ireland, I've had two single-vehicle incidents (in each case, shrubs close to the road that you'd never see that close to any road in the US that whacked the side of my car and caused a dent), one two vehicle incident (on my last trip in April 2015, a bus and I on a narrow street in Malahide--I had to move far enough left to avoid a collision that my front left wheel struck a curb, causing damage), and one break in.

Here's where it gets tricky. You point out that you don't know if the purchased insurance will cover your claim, but how can you be absolutely sure about the CSP coverage? So far, I haven't had a problem when returning a vehicle if I've purchased the full, local coverage. The one time I had trouble? The break in, when Amex Plat still provided coverage for Ireland--and I've found Amex coverage and service otherwise outstanding. Plus, you're back in your home country, so it gets harder to provide much information about what occurred and all calls are likely to be skewed towards the home folks not the tourist.

Plus, the cost need not necessarily be what you've cited. As I've mentioned previously in this thread, I've found http://www.easytourireland.com/ simple to use and comprehensive in their coverage. A small car with full coverage and all incidental charges, like airport fees, provided by Hertz for $280 for eight days on a trip scheduled for this April.

Given the circumstances outlined in many posts in this thread, I am reluctant to tell anyone to save a little bit by avoiding the purchase of full, local coverage. I might agree I wouldn't want to pay $50 per day for coverage, but for $35 per day, including the car and all insurances, I'm happy to take the piece of mind.

By the way, the damage that occurred in Malahide--covered without a peep.
Old May 17, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
A followup regarding easytourireland.com. I again used this service on an April 2016 trip to Ireland. In and out was even easier than the last trip as the Hertz agent didn't even try an upsell on pickup and some lower body minor damage on the return required a very brief documentation (name, address, email address, short description of how the damage occurred) that took less than five minutes with a reassuring "you purchased full cover, they'll take care of it" from the return agent. No further charges on my credit card more than three weeks after the end of my trip although I'll certainly update this post should that change.

With some credit card companies now offering coverage for Ireland, you can save money over easytourireland on renting a car. On the other hand, if you're thinking of purchasing full cover when renting, I think this service is worth a look, especially since they are cheaper than any other rental with full cover, including a direct rental from Hertz. I've now had two very positive experiences with them and will continue to use them given how easily I seem to damage cars in Ireland while never doing so anywhere else.
Old May 19, 2016, 11:50 am

I rented again in Ireland a couple weeks ago. This time I used Sixt as they were €150 cheaper than Hertz or anyone else. Went with Chase coverage again. Sixt did ask for the coverage letter, but didn't push it after I gave it to him.

On return they did find some minor damage to the lower front fascia. Not sure if I did it, but I didn't see it on pick up so I didn't argue. Cars were backing up on the road, so the guy checking me in basically waived it off, hopped in the car and drove away. They told me they would e-mail a receipt, just go get on the bus. Basically he was busy so didn't write it up.

I did raise a claim with Chase just in case. Took a couple minutes on the phone, but I could have just done it online if I had typed the website in correctly. Sixt has since closed out the invoice so I assume I am in the clear, but have 365 days to file with Chase if they do come after me.

I started looking through the T&C on the back of the contract and found some interesting things about CDW and other coverage. Note this is printed on the back of the contract you get at pick-up, when you don't have time to read it. I can't find any mention online. Interesting notes:

1. CDW is not insurance. Not shocking, as if they were regulated as an insurance agency I am sure there would be many more hassles for them, regulation, reporting, etc.
2. 3rd Party Cover (Liablity) is included in the base rental, but carries a €500 excess if you hurt someone else or their property.
3. CDW is void if you allow a non-authorized driver, are reckless, drunk, etc. This matches Chase's disclaimer pretty closely.
4. CDW is void if you are involved in a collision while driving or turning on the wrong side of the road. Seems to be exactly what most people worry about when driving on the opposite side from what they are used to, but CDW can be denied for it.
5. Side mirrors not covered by CDW. Yet another thing that you think you would be covered for on narrow roads.
6. CDW does not apply if you do not report damage within 1 hour of occurrence.
7. Tire damage coverage does not cover pot holes and side of the road damage.
8. Personal accident coverage only covers total disability, loss of limbs or eyes. I guess the bill is on you if you fully recover.

Chase and Citibank outline everything in their benefits guides. Pretty much as long as you comply with the contract, don't allow unauthorized drives, drive drunk, reckless, get in a bank robbing shootout, etc. you are covered.
Old May 19, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
When I rented and read the conditions for several companies a few years back some also excluded damage to the roof or the underside of the car
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
A followup regarding easytourireland.com. I again used this service on an April 2016 trip to Ireland. In and out was even easier than the last trip as the Hertz agent didn't even try an upsell on pickup and some lower body minor damage on the return required a very brief documentation (name, address, email address, short description of how the damage occurred) that took less than five minutes with a reassuring "you purchased full cover, they'll take care of it" from the return agent. No further charges on my credit card more than three weeks after the end of my trip although I'll certainly update this post should that change.

With some credit card companies now offering coverage for Ireland, you can save money over easytourireland on renting a car. On the other hand, if you're thinking of purchasing full cover when renting, I think this service is worth a look, especially since they are cheaper than any other rental with full cover, including a direct rental from Hertz. I've now had two very positive experiences with them and will continue to use them given how easily I seem to damage cars in Ireland while never doing so anywhere else.
Used Easy tour Ireland also. Very easy experience with Hertz at BFS. As easy as it would be to damage a car in Ireland; I would hesitate to try to use a third party (Credit Card) to try to provide coverage. I can see hours of problems.

Only damage was a tire blown on a curb. As I had purchased the tire coverage, Hertz just deducted the L60 from the bill.

Boy are the roads narrow. Damage would be very easy.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:58 pm

Easy Tour Ireland has now morphed into Conn's Ireland Car Rentals. Here's the updated link: https://www.connsirelandcarrental.com/selectcar?Sipp=. The bad news is that it looks as if prices have taken a slight uptick--about 30 euro more expensive for a ten-day rental in Ireland I've been looking at. Of course, that might have happened even without the change in name. Nevertheless, if there's an increase in prices and a downturn in service, I'd less enthusiastically recommend this company, especially if you hold a US credit card that can provide you with decent insurance coverage.

I'll probably use them again this April and will report back on whether or not there have been any significant changes other than the change in name, website, and possibly price.

Last edited by lwildernorva; Jan 28, 2017 at 2:53 pm
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:26 pm

Finished up my latest trip to Ireland this past week. Conn's (formerly Easy Tour) was as good as usual, but I learned two lessons. First, book early. I waited because of some uncertainty about the trip and paid a price. A rental that was around 377 euro jumped to 525 a couple of weeks before the trip and kept rising to over 700 after I made my reservation. The price after I made my reservation was actually higher than the Hertz price with super cover added.

Second, although I had absolutely no incidents in Ireland with the car, the agent who did my inspection found something on the left front fender that he claimed was new damage. This "damage" was so small and so unnoticeable that I was having a problem seeing it when he pointed it out to me. No harm, no foul as I had the super cover and didn't get charged anything, but I know I did not cause the damage during my time in the car. Reminders whether you rent with Conn's or not to do a thorough inspection of the car yourself when you pick it up (cell phone pictures of each segment of the car to show the state of damage to the car at the start of the rental with notice to the rental car company if there are any discrepancies between their damage report and yours) and to make sure you have some form of insurance protection, either through super cover or an appropriate credit card, so that you don't get hit with an outrageous bill at the end of your rental.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Well, I just got back from Ireland where I had a Hertz rental. I got the supercover and (thankfully) also the tire coverage. Which was good because there was a rock hidden by some grass on a side road that popped both of my left side tires. They sent somebody out with a new car (and replacement tires in the trunk for the damaged car). The itemized bill I received included a fairly substantial roadside callout charge but that's it for now. I'll be watching my credit card closely over the next month or so to see if anything else shows up because right now even though I have the bill they haven't actually charged my card yet (the holds disappeared a few days ago but there hasn't been a corresponding new charge for the actual bill). Hopefully I'll have a positive experience to add to the thread but we'll see. I have my fingers crossed.

Last edited by Zeeb; May 3, 2017 at 9:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.