Search

London plane - train connection query

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2011, 11:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
London plane - train connection query

I asked this on another forum but haven't gotten any feedback so thought I'd also ask:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europ...onnection.html
Old Nov 8, 2011, 12:24 am

At least 4 hours - it's going to take around 2 hours from landing to reaching St Pancras plus you need to be checked in at least 30 minutes before departure.

I'd fly though from LHR as you may be able to get your luggage checked through which means you avoid UK immigration & luggage collection.

Even if you can't allowing 4 hours between flights gives you an extra hour to make your connection as you don't have to travel into London
Old Nov 8, 2011, 3:08 am

Yes - agree with that.

Eurostar is unbeatable if you're already in central London. But Heathrow is anything but central - it's hassle to transfer from any of London's airports to St Pancras. I'd get a connecting flight.

If your heart is set on Eurostar....
Allow an hour for immigration / baggage.
Allow an hour to travel from Heathrow to St Pancras
Allow an hour for minimum check in / security (yes - Eurostar as minimum check in times)
Then add on contingency time - as much as is needed for your personal stress threshold
Old Nov 8, 2011, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
it's hassle to transfer from any of London's airports to St Pancras.
Well, it's reasonably convenient for Gatwick or Luton. Both have direct trains taking around 45 mins.

Allow an hour for minimum check in / security (yes - Eurostar as minimum check in times)
Eurostar minimum check-in time for standard class is 30 minutes. The security/immigration lines are after check-in, so in my experience, as long as you're in the queue by that time, you're fine.

Last edited by Reason077; Nov 8, 2011 at 4:50 am
Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by alanR
I'd fly though from LHR as you may be able to get your luggage checked through which means you avoid UK immigration & luggage collection.
Originally Posted by rcspeirs
No checked luggage involved so won't that cut some of the time off the connection?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tcook052
No checked luggage involved so won't that cut some of the time off the connection?
Possibly, but only if bag recovery time > immigration queue. Essentially you remove one of the variables by only having carry-on but it's still going to be tough to call. I've seen some ugly looking lines for non EU passengers many a time.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Possibly, but only if bag recovery time > immigration queue. Essentially you remove one of the variables by only having carry-on but it's still going to be tough to call. I've seen some ugly looking lines for non EU passengers many a time.
Without the need to collect luggage OP can use the Flight Connections route even if they are on separate tickets which means, unless their destination is within the UK or Ireland, they avoid the need for immigration.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by alanR
Without the need to collect luggage OP can use the Flight Connections route even if they are on separate tickets which means, unless their destination is within the UK or Ireland, they avoid the need for immigration.
No, you need to read back to where this comment came from:

If your heart is set on Eurostar....
Allow an hour to travel from Heathrow to St Pancras
So we're talking about how long to allow to get into London after arrival at LHR.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:57 am

Jumping on an old thread here, please move if appropriate.

Arriving Heathrow T3 @ 0845 next Monday on a flight from the US. From there I'll take the Picadilly line to Kings Cross/St. Pancras to catch an East Midlands train to Nottingham.

Assuming no delays other than UK immigration waiting time, should I be able catch a train somewhere in the 1215 -1315 time frame without rushing?

My other option is a National Express coach. That has some appeal because it eliminates the need to head into London, although some of the journey times can be significantly longer than the tube/rail combo. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:22 pm

Not sure how long immigration takes usually, but I'd have thought that timeframe, particularly the latter end of it, seems reasonable. I'd easily go with the train over the coach, unless you've got a ton of baggage. 1315 out of St Pancras is cheaper for a start.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by rts123
Arriving Heathrow T3 @ 0845 next Monday on a flight from the US. From there I'll take the Picadilly line to Kings Cross/St. Pancras to catch an East Midlands train to Nottingham.

Assuming no delays other than UK immigration waiting time, should I be able catch a train somewhere in the 1215 -1315 time frame without rushing?
I think either would be fine. Even if immigration and baggage takes forever, you're still looking at being out of the madness by 10:30, which puts you at St Pancras around 11:45 with a bit of walking and a bit of waiting. Still fine for a 12:15 train, or go for the 13:15 to have extra time for a glass of bubbly at the Champagne Bar.

Of course, no matter what you book it's possible that your flight will be delayed, so if you want to be insured against getting screwed, consider getting an Off-Peak ticket that would allow you to take any off-peak train. Then you could turn up at St Pancras and take the next train, whichever that would be. These tickets are usually more than a ticket for a specific train, but the added flexibility can be quite useful. ETA: I just checked and a Super Off-Peak Single for this journey would be £59.50, while the cheapest Standard Singles are around £20. Whether the flexibility is worth it to you is something only you can decide, but turn-up-and-go is quite nice.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:13 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Since it looks like 1315 should be no problem, bar any huge delays, I've gone with that and purchased a First Advance fare for £26. If I get to St. Pancras early enough I'll have lunch and look around a bit.
Old May 3, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
LHR-to-Eurostar timing, factoring in LHR arrivals lounge?

(Hoping this is the correct thread; mods, please relocate if it's not)

I arrive on UA 924 from IAD at 10:30 a.m. on the 23rd and I need to get to Paris... basically, in time to check into my hotel before dinner.* I know I'll want to shower and get breakfast at LHR, either in the UA arrivals lounge (if my upgrade clears) or the Plaza Premium lounge (if it doesn't).

Assuming I while away an hour that way, how much time should I add on for clearing immigration and customs that late in the morning, then getting to the Piccadilly line from either of those T2 lounges? I won't be checking any luggage.

* To answer the obvious "don't you know they have IAD-CDG nonstops?" question: I fly home from SFO the evening of the 21st. Taking the latest possible flight out of IAD gets me closer to a whole 24 hours at home with my family and improves my odds of sleeping on the plane, and the organizers of this conference were willing to accommodate my whims. Besides, I've never taken the Eurostar before.
Old May 3, 2016, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Allow a hour for immigration and bags. Another hour for the lounge, an hour for the ever unpredictable Piccadilly Line and yet another hour for the Eurostar check in and cut off before boarding. That leaves you looking at the 15:36 arriving 18:47 (with some time to kill along the way, ideally at St Pancras). The arrival should give just enough time to dash to your hotel before dinner. If you are prepared to chop some lounge time then the 14:22 arriving 17:47 is feasible.

However neither timing leaves a huge amount of slack - one mechanical delay and you'll be rebooking on the day at quite some cost.

You might consider flying from LHR. There are BA flights at 13:35 and 14:55. Less racing around.
Old May 4, 2016, 5:25 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by DCA writer
I arrive on UA 924 from IAD at 10:30 a.m. on the 23rd and I need to get to Paris... basically, in time to check into my hotel before dinner.* I know I'll want to shower and get breakfast at LHR, either in the UA arrivals lounge (if my upgrade clears) or the Plaza Premium lounge (if it doesn't).

Assuming I while away an hour that way, how much time should I add on for clearing immigration and customs that late in the morning, then getting to the Piccadilly line from either of those T2 lounges? I won't be checking any luggage.
I'm sure you do know this, but just in case anyone else reads it and is confused, do note the arrivals lounges are after immigration and customs controls. Not before. As I said, sure you know this, but someone reading it in the order you introduced them might get confused.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.