Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe including Turkey > European Rail Travel
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 6, 11, 6:29 pm   #1
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Mileage Run & Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 40,217
How much time should I allow for LHR - Eurostar connection?

Thanks to a BA award sale I booked a flight into LHR and out of CDG next June planning to do a little of both cities.

Lately though I've decided to just spend all 10 nights in Paris and so will need to get from LHR to Eurostar at St. Pancras and wanted to get some feedback as to how much time I should allow. MY BA flight lands at 13:25 and there is a 15:01, 16:01, 16:22 and 17:31 trains departures.

Should I opt for the 16:22 and have a leisurely and stress free transfer in from LHR or will I be subject to sitting around for a chunk of time? All I will have is a small messenger bag and a small carry on so won't be waiting around the luggage carousel.

Getting to Paris as quickly as possible is the goal as I may have an apartment rented and will have to meet someone from the rental agency at the apartment before 8 PM or else pay a small surcharge for appointments later.

Thanks for the input.
__________________
Please donate to the 2014 Edmonton Underwear Affair, a cancer charity walk and help fight cancers below the waist. More details here.
tcook052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 11, 1:13 am   #2
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Programs: Flying Blue, Marriott Rewards, BA Executive Club
Posts: 241
I'll take a shot..

If you need to be in Paris by 2000 then that equates to 1900 British time. I would assume you can just make it by taking the 1622 Eurostar.

Working back from a 1622 departure, you'll need to check in at St P 1552.

Including waiting and ticket time I would allow one hour for Heathrow Express to Paddington and then underground or taxi to St P. Taxi direct from Heathrow to St P would be about the same.

All this means that you need to be looking for a Heathrow Express ticket at Heathrow around 1445, which is about 80 mins after your scheduled landing.

Within that 80 mins is all your contingency so I'd say the 1622 Eurostar is the earliest I'd want to be taking.
CityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 11, 2:38 am   #3
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: London
Programs: SPG Gold, BA Silver
Posts: 1,158
16:22 is easily doable if your flight arrives on time, immigration queues are reasonable, etc.

17:31 would be safer, of course, if you want more contingency for delayed flights and such. St Pancras isn't the worst place to have some time to kill (at least, the pre-security part). Some decent shopping and eating options.

Depending on your destination in Paris, the most hassle-free option might be just to book a connecting BA LHR-CDG flight. It shouldn't cost much more than the Eurostar by the time you factor in the HEX ticket.

Last edited by Reason077; Nov 8, 11 at 2:52 am..
Reason077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 11, 2:50 am   #4
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 6,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
Getting to Paris as quickly as possible is the goal as I may have an apartment rented and will have to meet someone from the rental agency at the apartment before 8 PM or else pay a small surcharge for appointments later.Thanks for the input.
1622 gets in at 1947 (where is the apartment?), 1730 gets in at 2047. Have you considered flying?

Eurostar makes a lot of sense if your starting point is is Central London (or anywhere else in the South East that isn't right next to an airport with flights to Paris). In your case flying would make more sense.
Aviatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 11, 8:49 am   #5
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Mileage Run & Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 40,217
Thanks

Was holding out for Eurostar as I'd been wanting to try it for years and never had a decent chance until now. I'll weigh the options of flying versus Eurostar as once I get to Paris I'll still have a ways to get across the city to get to the apartment. Maybe I'll just rail it and pay a late arrival surcharge of EUR for appointments from 8 to 10 PM.
__________________
Please donate to the 2014 Edmonton Underwear Affair, a cancer charity walk and help fight cancers below the waist. More details here.
tcook052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 11, 9:44 am   #6
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Programs: AC*SE MM, FPC Plat, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,767
Or, if you're going to have to pay the surcharge anyways, just spend a day in London and then make a leisurely trip to Paris the next day on the Eurostar.
Tax Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 11, 12:34 pm   #7
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Mileage Run & Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 40,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tax Dude View Post
Or, if you're going to have to pay the surcharge anyways, just spend a day in London and then make a leisurely trip to Paris the next day on the Eurostar.
Thanks Dude. I'd thought about doing that but it sort of burns one night on a 10 night trip so had hoped to get to Paris day of arrival to get the most out of my stay there.

I should've booked BA all the way to CDG in the first place but hindsight is always 20-20 and I booked it under somewhat of a time crunch and so just didn't have the time to think of some of these things have have come to mind months later as I start making some decisions about the details of the trip.
__________________
Please donate to the 2014 Edmonton Underwear Affair, a cancer charity walk and help fight cancers below the waist. More details here.
tcook052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 11, 12:47 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cambridge, UK
Programs: TWA Aviators
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
Thanks

Was holding out for Eurostar as I'd been wanting to try it for years and never had a decent chance until now. I'll weigh the options of flying versus Eurostar as once I get to Paris I'll still have a ways to get across the city to get to the apartment. Maybe I'll just rail it and pay a late arrival surcharge of EUR for appointments from 8 to 10 PM.
There's nothing really special about the Eurostar that you won't get by riding any high speed train in France (the train itself is the same as the older TGVs, and the tunnel is really just that-- a tunnel). Why not fly and do a day trip to Strasbourg (which goes much faster than the Eurostar) or something when you're in Paris?

I mean, you are traveling from an airport-- the quickest way to do that is by plane.
Skiddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 11, 2:44 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
Thanks Dude. I'd thought about doing that but it sort of burns one night on a 10 night trip so had hoped to get to Paris day of arrival to get the most out of my stay there.

I should've booked BA all the way to CDG in the first place but hindsight is always 20-20 and I booked it under somewhat of a time crunch and so just didn't have the time to think of some of these things have have come to mind months later as I start making some decisions about the details of the trip.
Eurostar is quite flexible about sob stories (late arriving flights, etc).

If you book the 16:22 and only make the 17:31, you'll probably be allowed on with no problems. This isn't Ryanair.
railways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 11, 11:15 pm   #10
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Mileage Run & Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 40,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddie View Post
There's nothing really special about the Eurostar that you won't get by riding any high speed train in France (the train itself is the same as the older TGVs, and the tunnel is really just that-- a tunnel). Why not fly and do a day trip to Strasbourg (which goes much faster than the Eurostar) or something when you're in Paris?

I mean, you are traveling from an airport-- the quickest way to do that is by plane.
True, I would be at LHR though I'd have to allow at least 1-2 hours for a healthy connection at LHR on separate tickets and hope to arrive on time. Add the time in to the city from CDG and I still wouldn't arrive at the apartment until 7PM or thereabouts. If all goes well it'd be a tad quicker, though since I haven't done it that's only my best guess.

I see BA does have a 14:50 flight to CDG which would give me 85 minutes for a connection and it's a legal connection according to BA. Missing that would mean the next flight isn't until 1745 which wouldn't work as well.

Overall the costs wouldn't be very different so it just boils down to timing.

Like flying the A380 or new 787 there's just been a desire for years to experience the Eurostar. Sure it'll probably be like many other train trips I've taken and maybe I'll say it was no big deal afterward but it's the train itself that still hold appeal for me, if that makes sense.

I appreciate all the input and it'll help me make some decisions.
__________________
Please donate to the 2014 Edmonton Underwear Affair, a cancer charity walk and help fight cancers below the waist. More details here.
tcook052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 11, 2:00 pm   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Freeload Univ. Where are you sitting?
Posts: 11,351
Doesn't the Picadilly line go direct from LHR to St Pancras?

When we left London last month, I just shoved the kids on the tube at Green Park and off they went to LHR. It was the same train we took from the Eurostar terminus (at St. Pancras) to Green Park.

Is it faster/cheaper to take the HEX to Paddington and then a taxi to St. Pancras? Or am I missing something?
__________________
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

-- The Wizard of Oz
BigLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 11, 11:35 am   #12
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: London
Programs: SPG Gold, BA Silver
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar View Post
Is it faster/cheaper to take the HEX to Paddington and then a taxi to St. Pancras? Or am I missing something?
HEX + cab is faster, but more expensive than the tube.
Reason077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 11, 11:17 am   #13
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar View Post
Doesn't the Picadilly line go direct from LHR to St Pancras?
Yes, but it takes AGES as it is a subway line with gazzilion stops in the way.
europegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 11, 2:15 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BOS, also SFO and LIS
Programs: UA 1K, A3*G, TK*G, DL, US
Posts: 5,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by europegrad View Post
Yes, but it takes AGES as it is a subway line with gazzilion stops in the way.
Only takes 45-50 mins. HEX takes 15 mins + another 15 on the tube to St. Pancras, so the difference is 15-20 mins.
__________________
/.
Palal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 11, 10:21 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 101
If you decide to go on Eurostar, I'd definitely recommend you just use the tube for LHR.

It's simpler and cheaper than messing around with changing modes of transport, and I'd say anything that involved using a taxi is likely to involve delays.
PDPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:35 pm.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.