Wiki Posts
Search

Cairo transfer (Turnaround)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by shuly
I would not risk a 2:10 hour connection at CAI with checked luggage, even within the same terminal. Upon arrival you have to disembark, buy a visa stamp, go through immigration, wait for your luggage, turn around, go through security, check in, deposit luggage, go through immigration again and then to the gate. It's probably doable, but risky.

Can you fly with cabin luggage only? This will simplify a lot (and will reduce the cost, as no visa will be required).

Alternatively, can you drop the IST-CAI leg and fly from IST to CPH instead? I assume it's the last segment of your trip. You can then short-check bags from BKK to IST and save the time of the flight to CAI.

Shuly

Yep, I am thinking about the second option to drop the last leg. Same fare. Thanks for the feedback

One question and I do not recall how it was when were there last. As Canadians we get Visa on arrival will that be for one time entry or do they also give you a multiple entry visa on arrival? Because when we arrive in CAI from Greece we are planning to stay one night to see the new museum and will get our visa then. If I recall it was a one time entry one.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:04 am

The $25 visa is definitely single-entry. I don't now if they have multiple entry visas, I suggest that you ask on the Middle East forum.

Shuly
Old Sep 8, 2017, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
One question and I do not recall how it was when were there last. As Canadians we get Visa on arrival will that be for one time entry or do they also give you a multiple entry visa on arrival?
The visa on arrival is a simple sticker you purchase at the counter of one of the banks, pre-immigration. The sticker costs $25.

There are no stickers for multiple entries.

You can, however, buy multiple stickers. Use them as required, but clearly you keep the extra ones in your wallet, placing one on a passport page for each arrival. You won't save any money: you will cut out only the need for subsequent visits to the bank counter. But given the visa purchase transaction is only a couple of minutes, if that, it hardly seems worth it.

The alternative is to get a straightforward multiple-entry visa from an Egyptian consulate before you travel. This will be a bit of a faff and is unlikely to be a sensible approach unless you are making more than just a couple of visits.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The visa on arrival is a simple sticker you purchase at the counter of one of the banks, pre-immigration. The sticker costs $25.

There are no stickers for multiple entries.

You can, however, buy multiple stickers. Use them as required, but clearly you keep the extra ones in your wallet, placing one on a passport page for each arrival. You won't save any money: you will cut out only the need for subsequent visits to the bank counter. But given the visa purchase transaction is only a couple of minutes, if that, it hardly seems worth it.

The alternative is to get a straightforward multiple-entry visa from an Egyptian consulate before you travel. This will be a bit of a faff and is unlikely to be a sensible approach unless you are making more than just a couple of visits.

Ive done that sticker thing before, just was not sure if they are multiple also. I have decided to get off in Istanbul and drop that last leg to CAI. Will now have to get a Visa for IST as we need to get out of IST to CPH to catch our flight to YYZ.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A question for the experts:

These are my flight segments:
Name:  Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 6.34.26 PM.png
Views: 377
Size:  73.6 KB

We will drop the last segment to CAi.

Planning to book a separate ticket/flight at 7:30am with TK from IST to CPH.

Luggage will be tagged to IST from BKK as we have a 20 hour stop in IST.

Do we go through immigration and check in again in the main terminal?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will a 20 hour stopover make TK staff in BKK to tag our luggage to just IST?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Booked my flights with a stopover in IST same price. Thanks all
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:04 am

Will a 20 hour stopover make TK staff in BKK to tag our luggage to just IST?
Usually they will ask you if you'll need your luggage during your layover in IST.

If you say yes,they will tag it to IST . If not ...
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:07 am

A question for the experts:

These are my flight segments:
Attachment 39689

We will drop the last segment to CAi.

Planning to book a separate ticket/flight at 7:30am with TK from IST to CPH.

Luggage will be tagged to IST from BKK as we have a 20 hour stop in IST.

Do we go through immigration and check in again in the main terminal?
If you want to claim your luggage in IST you must pass Immigration. Heed the Fast Track for J & E+ Pax.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moeser
If you want to claim your luggage in IST you must pass Immigration. Heed the Fast Track for J & E+ Pax.
Yes, we are planning to do just that and fly direct from IST to CPH. Thanks
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moeser
Usually they will ask you if you'll need your luggage during your layover in IST.

If you say yes,they will tag it to IST . If not ...
The layover is pretty substantial, we land at 4am on the 30th and leave Jully 1 at 6am.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:29 am

The layover is pretty substantial, we land at 4am on the 30th and leave Jully 1 at 6am.
You shouldn't expect any problems,we did it several times and it went smooth.

Only once we had to wait almost 1 hour for our luggage at IST.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question How we get to cairo

I have another question and need your feedback. We are CAD citizens.

We will be flying from BCN to CAI to catch the TK flight CAI-BKK-CAI(Departs CAI at 9pm).

We have 2 choices from BCN:

LH: Dep BCN at 10:30am connects to MS which arrives CAI at 7:10pm

or

TK: Dep BCN at 11:35am connects to MS which arrives at 7:45pm

Now these are separate tickets, so will LH be a better option as we arrive into CAI at 7 enough time for transit and connection

OR

TK which will tag our luggage all the way to BKK from BCN and we will transit easily in CAI.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Nov 10, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Yes, we are planning to do just that and fly direct from IST to CPH. Thanks
Just curious, since you're based on YYZ, are you taking advantage of TP's cheap J fares from CPH to YYZ? I may look into this too. TK's flight to/from YYZ has to be the most popular North American route at the moment.

I've just checked in for flight on Nov 11th and not a single seat left, you can forget about standby. I'm expecting the flight tomorrow night to be packed to the gills.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vincewy
Just curious, since you're based on YYZ, are you taking advantage of TP's cheap J fares from CPH to YYZ? I may look into this too. TK's flight to/from YYZ has to be the most popular North American route at the moment.

I've just checked in for flight on Nov 11th and not a single seat left, you can forget about standby. I'm expecting the flight tomorrow night to be packed to the gills.
Yep we are booked on TP on the return in J a really good deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.