Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:28 pm

Programs: miles&smiles
Originally Posted by tuono07
So just to be clear...........
JFK to IST to Nice, France I would not have to go through any type of clearence or screening just walk off my JFK/IST flight and go to the Nice Gate?
Return Nice /IST/JFK

Thanks
As long as you have your onwards bp you would only have to go through transit security
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:33 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by fezoff
As long as you have your onwards bp you would only have to go through transit security
Others say that US and EU flights are considered safe and don't require to be transit cleared. It's a hit or miss situation though.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:44 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Others say that US and EU flights are considered safe and don't require to be transit cleared. It's a hit or miss situation though.
And transit security is 30min?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:02 am

I have OTP to NAV via IST on TK, original flt had IST transit time of 1:35 but schd change gives only 1:15. I called TK for change to a later flt out of IST but was told that my flt meets the min req transit time in IST so no change is necessary. Should I call again?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by kiyotaka
I have OTP to NAV via IST on TK, original flt had IST transit time of 1:35 but schd change gives only 1:15. I called TK for change to a later flt out of IST but was told that my flt meets the min req transit time in IST so no change is necessary. Should I call again?
Since your flights are on the same ticket, should you miss your connection at IST, TK will rebook you to the next and best available option. It's up to you if you want to call again. I wouldn't.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by tuono07
And transit security is 30min?
It can vary whether or not you are transiting on peak hours. There is a Fast Track lane for Star Gold which is a time saver. As I explained before that US arrivals generally do not need to be cleared.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: miles&smiles
Originally Posted by kiyotaka

Keep in mind also that quite often TK push their arrival time by 30min from actual arrival time so you would probably still have 1:45 min. But 1:15 should be enough to to make your connection, but I am also a brisk walker
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: BA CX DL KE OZ*G PR QF QR; SPG IHG MR HH
Minimum Connecting Time and Transfer Procedures in IST

Does anyone know what is the minimum connecting time recommended at IST airport for separately ticketed flights? I would like to book the appropriate schedule with Turkish Airlines. The other airline I am using is Asiana. Will 1 hour and 20 minutes cutting it too close? I would rather book this schedule rather than book the next flight, which will make my layover close to 5 hours.

Also, if Asiana cannot check my baggage through, or if Turkish Airlines will not check it through on the return trip, it is not immediately clear if I have to pass through passport control. I have found the Turkish Airlines guidelines (http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...ger-procedures), and it says here explicitly that Turkish Airlines passengers with connections to foreign airlines do not need to complete passport procedures. It says retrieve your baggage and go to the transit desk. Is baggage retrieval before passport control at IST airport? For foreign airlines or just Turkish Airlines? Because baggage claim is after passport control in almost all airports I have been to. Or better, do they have baggage transfer service (retrieve and change baggage claim tags) in the airport without passengers needing to go through the baggage carousel at IST airport?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:07 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
TK will not interline bags on separate tickets.

1 hour 20 mins is far too short of a connection on separate tix - IST is very congested and delay prone.

Baggage claim is behind immigration.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
TK will not interline bags on separate tickets.

1 hour 20 mins is far too short of a connection on separate tix - IST is very congested and delay prone.

Baggage claim is behind immigration.
TK has (at least for me) interlined bags on separate tickets (even three separate tickets). Also SQ has done the same the other way.

Of course one cannot relay 100% on this, but should plan for entry to Turkey & fetching and re-checking baggage.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:32 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by duvin
TK has (at least for me) interlined bags on separate tickets (even three separate tickets). Also SQ has done the same the other way.

Of course one cannot relay 100% on this, but should plan for entry to Turkey & fetching and re-checking baggage.
Every outstation has received a notice from TK HQ which says that they are not to interline bags on separate tickets under any circumstance. The same notice has been shown to me in ICN, SFO, BKK, and TIA, so it seems to be a pretty uniform policy. At ICN and BKK, the DCS can't even handle interline baggage tagging even if the agent wanted to ignore policy.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:27 am

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Every outstation has received a notice from TK HQ which says that they are not to interline bags on separate tickets under any circumstance. The same notice has been shown to me in ICN, SFO, BKK, and TIA, so it seems to be a pretty uniform policy. At ICN and BKK, the DCS can't even handle interline baggage tagging even if the agent wanted to ignore policy.
I had a bag interlined from SGN to KKN earlier this week . I don't doubt what you are saying, it's just like always with TK - There is a difference between policy and practice.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:41 am

I have interlined as well

BEG-IST-SFO & SFO-YVR on AS
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles Elite Plus
I interlined NRT-IST-FCO just 2 days ago.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:42 am

Well, I also have had success stories with getting TK to break policy and interline (including a TK-JP connection through TIA where the airport was not equipped to interline), but this type of anecdotal evidence is not enough for OP to plan a 1 hour connection.

Additionally, TK's official policy is to allow onward interlines in Vietnam and Philippines, although I'm not sure why.

It certainly doesn't hurt to ask about interlining (I still do), but it should not be a surprise if the answer is "this document says no."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.