Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Originally Posted by backdoc
The form isn't "pre-populated" with your travel data, nor for your previous addresses.
FWIW all of my addresses, both personal and employment were pre-populated when I requested the card. As I stated a couple posts back, I only had to do over the countries visited, work phone numbers, and security questions again. Same with my wife.

I probably shouldn't be concerned about this, but I just went back to look at the status. I see the 'Request Global Entry Card' under 'application type' in the 'Application(s) in Process' section. When I click on that to look at the details of the application I'm taken to a screen that shows 'Trusted Traveler Card Replacement' on the 'Application Submit' confirmation page. I think it must have been an oversight with the way the site was programmed though. I was accepted into the program in May and never received a card.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
What does this card look like? Will it work at a TSA checkpoint the same way NEXUS is supposed to wrk?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:27 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by TropicalTripper
FWIW all of my addresses, both personal and employment were pre-populated when I requested the card. As I stated a couple posts back, I only had to do over the countries visited, work phone numbers, and security questions again. Same with my wife.

I probably shouldn't be concerned about this, but I just went back to look at the status. I see the 'Request Global Entry Card' under 'application type' in the 'Application(s) in Process' section. When I click on that to look at the details of the application I'm taken to a screen that shows 'Trusted Traveler Card Replacement' on the 'Application Submit' confirmation page. I think it must have been an oversight with the way the site was programmed though. I was accepted into the program in May and never received a card.
I concur...I went through last week filling out the information you described. I was accepted into the program over 2 years ago. As of this afternoon, my status for getting the card is "pending review."

Anyone know how long it takes to get the approval for the card after already being approved for the GOES program?

Last edited by goingbananas; Jul 21, 2011 at 8:09 pm
Old Jul 21, 2011, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K, Ex-DL Plat, SPG Plat, IC Plat, Hilton Gold
For those that have recently viewed the Global Entry video.... I have a question.

I could have sworn in the video the was a statement about going to the front of the line for customs if there was a long line.

Is that correct?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:21 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by fedup flyer
For those that have recently viewed the Global Entry video.... I have a question.

I could have sworn in the video the was a statement about going to the front of the line for customs if there was a long line.

Is that correct?
Absolutely, it is correct. I have even been scolded by a Customs agent for waiting in line because I didn't want people to think I was cutting in front of them. He told me not to worry about what anyone else thinks and make sure I go to the head of the line in the future.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by DCBob
Absolutely, it is correct. I have even been scolded by a Customs agent for waiting in line because I didn't want people to think I was cutting in front of them. He told me not to worry about what anyone else thinks and make sure I go to the head of the line in the future.
I was told that you should use the kiosk, if the kiosk is not working or there is no kiosk then you can go to the front of the line.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by stonecrd
I was told that you should use the kiosk, if the kiosk is not working or there is no kiosk then you can go to the front of the line.
You are referring to immigration, the poster was asking about customs
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K, Ex-DL Plat, SPG Plat, IC Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DCBob
That is what I thought.
I could not find the info on the Global Entry site to refresh my memory.
I just had a recent experience clearing customs in MIA.
Apparently, customs doesn't want you to "skip" the long line even though you have the GE receipt and are in the GE lane (and this particular agent even wanted to play 20 questions). Sounds like he and a few other agents need to be re-educated on the program
But then again, its MIA.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, National Executive, SPG Gold, Global Entry, NEXUS
For those that haven't seen it yet, here's what the new Global Entry RFID card looks like:

The picture on the ID is the same one they take of you when you do your interview (which, unlike your passport photo, has whatever's going on in the GE office behind you in the photo too... classy).

My girlfriend got hers in the mail 5 days after her interview. My request is for a GE card is still showing pending.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
Originally Posted by alee0729
For those that haven't seen it yet, here's what the new Global Entry RFID card looks like:

The picture on the ID is the same one they take of you when you do your interview (which, unlike your passport photo, has whatever's going on in the GE office behind you in the photo too... classy).

My girlfriend got hers in the mail 5 days after her interview. My request is for a GE card is still showing pending.
The card is completely identical to the current Nexus card, the only difference is that it shows "Global Entry" instead of "Nexus" on top.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
What does this card look like? Will it work at a TSA checkpoint the same way NEXUS is supposed to wrk?
+1

I was hoping that it would look like the PP card. The NEXUS/GE cards kind of look like something you make in photoshop..
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
+1

I was hoping that it would look like the PP card. The NEXUS/GE cards kind of look like something you make in photoshop..
What's a PP card?

In any case, the current Nexus / GE card model is the gold standard, at least compared to the original Nexus card - which looked like something issued by the local Gym or library.

I found this picture on the web that compares both - and no, the guy in the picture is not me

http://office-bob.com/blog/?p=81

Edited: Somebody is paranoid about his pictures and a block against a linked access to the picture went up minutes after I linked to it on flyertalk. I have edited the picture link to go to this guy's blog, which still makes the picture accessible. Reward his efforts by NOT reading his blog ;-)

and here is the picture link itself:

http://www.office-bob.com/Pictures/N...ld_and_new.jpg

Last edited by colonius; Jul 22, 2011 at 4:20 pm
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Passport card = PP
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:08 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by colonius
What's a PP card?

In any case, the current Nexus / GE card model is the gold standard, at least compared to the original Nexus card - which looked like something issued by the local Gym or library.

I found this picture on the web that compares both - and no, the guy in the picture is not me

Your link doesn't work.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by fti
Your link doesn't work.
See edit, hopefully the indirect way doesn't get blocked as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.