Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

PreCheck closed intermittently [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2013, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Well,it happened again in FLL.

This morning, they closed the pre check line and turned it into a regular check point.

When questioned, the TSA agent stated the airport was too busy to maintain the Pre check line.

I always thought that was the beauty of pre check, to allow those who qualify to expedite screening , especially when the airports busy.

Question is, are other airports doing the same in busy times, or is it just the inept TSA group in FLL making these random decisions.

I can only imagine what would happen if Atlanta shut down pre check just because of a busy day.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I have never seen this at MCO thankfully...

This defeats the purpose IMO.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 8:00 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
The last 12 times I've flown in and out of FLL the past month or so, the pre-Check line has had just me in it and a couple hundred people in the normal line. I don't get intimidated by crowds easily, but when it's between 0530 and 0600 and everyone is already inherently grumpy from getting up so early and they see one guy "cut" the line, it tends to make people grumble.

Flying out of MIA, DEN, LAX, JFK, and SFO I witness the same thing. Granted my sample size for time is small, but during what I would call peak times. Even going out of ATL, with the hoards of possible pre-Check eligible passengers, I have never waited.

As I said before, it's sucks when you are eligible and can't get it. But knowing how massive lines can get at FLL, a TSA agent, knowing it's spring break, decided to open up another lane (possibly 2) to increase the throughput of passengers so they are able to make their flight.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: Delta, United
I can understanding shutting it down however, I wonder would it help those who qualify to be able to jump directly into the line. Similar to what those with priority status can do? Still have take off shoes and take out computers. Does FLL have a priority line?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Medeski
How do you know its rarely used?
Through the miracle of sight.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:04 pm
ffj

Programs: AA, ExPlat, DL Sil, UAL Sil, Hilt Dia, Marr Plat
the feed lane for PreCheck in AUS is with the first class passengers. Slow things down. PreCheck should be tied to a passenger, not an airport. The logistics are doable..
Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
FLL Precheck

They closed the Precheck at 7am on Monday morning at FLL. Same reason "we're too busy". That's exactly when i need it !
Old Mar 27, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by HDQDD
4 "clerks"? In actuality it's 1 or 2 "clerks". If they're using 4 for a pre-check lane, that's their own moronic failure.
At SFO and IAH (both United), at the podium where ID is checked the TSA agent takes people from the other priority line if no pre-check are there, so no waste.

At the machines, it's been eiher 2 or 3 TSA people over the last couple of months.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I will echo that I hate using FLL. I live in Miami and rarely use FLL. However, last Friday was a time I did as I saved $283 on a ticket versus Miami. The only bright spot for me is that FLL offers PreCheck for Delta whereas MIA does not. So I was looking forward to at least that. Imagine my surprise when I arrived at the FLL TSA post in Terminal 2 only to find not only PreCheck shut down but the Sky Priority line shut down, too. The whole gate pulled down and funneling everyone through the Air Canada checkpoint side. In line with people who didn't know to have their ID out for the TSA. Sigh. Took forever to get through. Only redeeming quality was finally getting into the Sky Club. Way too touristy at FLL is the problem while MIA has more experienced business travelers.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by garkster
At SFO and IAH (both United), at the podium where ID is checked the TSA agent takes people from the other priority line if no pre-check are there, so no waste.

At the machines, it's been eiher 2 or 3 TSA people over the last couple of months.
At IND, I've seen them do it with one person during mid-day (non rush times). Same person directs peeps thru the mag, and then comes back and watches the bags be x-rayed. With two peeps, you don't have to switch back and forth. With AIT, you have a person out front (the "Liquids < 3.3 oz separate bag/take off your belt" yeller) and another in back to wait for AIT clearance/direct secondary. PreCheck doesn't need either of those.

Either way, my point is, that Pre-Check provides *both* A) more screening capacity B) requires less headcount.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: USA CP, AA, UAL, BA, DLTA
Pre Check closed intermittently at certain airports

I was surprised that PreCheck was not available at Terminal 4 (AA and USA) for A gates late afternoon Friday and also was not available early Sunday evening when I returned. As you might expect, there was a very long line to go through security. Ironically, there was a very very large sign promoting PreCheck at the entrance to the A gate security.

What is going on?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Perhaps you should address your comments to the TSA, since they determine whether pre-check is open or not.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 3:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
As this is a TSA question and not US Airways, I'll move to the Travel Safety & Security forum.

Thanks!

aztimm
Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:22 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I was there last night and was surprised to find Precheck closed, too.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Pre Check closed in PHX this weekend

Actually, TSA will give you a PreCheck card at front of the security checkpoints. When you cross the security. You still have keeps the shoes on, 3-1-1 liquids in, and takeout a laptop, as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.