Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Is TSA Pre guaranteed with Global Entry Known Travel Number?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is TSA Pre guaranteed with Global Entry Known Travel Number?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by PowerMan572
If my partner has TSA Precheck on his ticket, but I don't on mine, can I still walk through with him? Do they really split up families / couples if one has it and the other doesn't?
Yes ..they CAN split you up....and no u cannot walk through with him unless they direct you too...
Old Aug 30, 2014, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by kitie carson
Yes ..they CAN split you up....and no u cannot walk through with him unless they direct you too...
Thanks. That stinks. I guess we'll try anywhere in about 5-6 hours when I head to the airport.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
If my partner has TSA Precheck on his ticket, but I don't on mine, can I still walk through with him? Do they really split up families / couples if one has it and the other doesn't?
It really depends on the agent sorting the line, some will just wave you through with your companion some will not. My wife, who has had her KTN for several months, was always getting PreCheck and me, without a KTN until recently, occasionally. When I didn't randomly get PreCheck some agents would let me go with her while others would just point me to the regular line. While PreCheck is not 100% guaranteed with a KTN I'm expecting we'll be good to go the vast majority of the time now.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Of course they don't split up families/ couples. Your partner is doing the split if he chooses to utilize Precheck when you are not eligible.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rstruthe
With Nexus/GE KTN I have never once had TSA Pre, although other travellers with me, who do not have KTN have got TSA Pre. Whenever I ask, they tell me its just random...
I had similar experience. I am elite with Delta and 100% with precheck. With Alaska and Nexus I am about 50%. After talking to different groups, I spent the $85 for TSA Precheck, and use that for my flights. Supposed to increase my percent, according to both Alaska and agents at TSA check points. They were initially surprised when I presented my Nexus card for ID and didn't have precheck, but at Seattle they said they saw it sometime.

Edited to add:

Just checked in for my first Alaska Air flight with TSA Pre instead of Nexus. Got Precheck -- first time in a long time with Alaska.

Last edited by yamaka; Sep 1, 2014 at 10:52 am
Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
After having a KTN for 2 months and flying several times since, there has been one occasion where I was "randomly" not issued a boarding pass with PreCheck - flying Delta in MCO. I checked in at the kiosk, noticed the lack of Pre, then went to an agent to see if there was an issue on Delta's end with my KTN or middle name not coming through. He said everything was fine and that I must have been randomly selected not to get PreCheck.

Turned out the Delta flight to ATL was delayed, causing me to misconnect, so I bought a ticket on Southwest from MCO-RIC. Added my KTN at booking and got PreCheck with Southwest. Also, got PreCheck on my next Delta flight the following week.

So perhaps there is a +-10% chance that even those of us with a KTN will not be selected on a given day.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
I've been elite with Delta for years but wasn't selected for the pre-check program when it was rolled out for elites. And I never received random pre-check on any flights. However, since I applied for and received GE I've been 100% on pre-check.

A co-worker who was elite received pre-check quite frequently but hasn't received it once as a non-elite.

I had the chance to use the actual GE process when returning from a recent trip to Sydney. It was my first usage and it worked beautifully. Head to the machine, insert passport, read fingerprints, take a photo and done! And there was no dreaded X. I was done in a minute while others were lining up for customs.

One more thing, when I applied my interview was scheduled months out. But I checked the website daily and snagged an appointment within days due to a cancelation. Check the site frequently!
Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
I bat about 99.8% with Nexus on DL/UA.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by nichelle
I've been elite with Delta for years but wasn't selected for the pre-check program when it was rolled out for elites. And I never received random pre-check on any flights. However, since I applied for and received GE I've been 100% on pre-check.

A co-worker who was elite received pre-check quite frequently but hasn't received it once as a non-elite.

I had the chance to use the actual GE process when returning from a recent trip to Sydney. It was my first usage and it worked beautifully. Head to the machine, insert passport, read fingerprints, take a photo and done! And there was no dreaded X. I was done in a minute while others were lining up for customs.

One more thing, when I applied my interview was scheduled months out. But I checked the website daily and snagged an appointment within days due to a cancelation. Check the site frequently!
Delta has a weird issue where even though the KTN is in there, it doesn't print on boarding passes sometimes. Everytime this has happened to me (2 or 3 times now) the agent just deleted the number, re-entered it and it worked. Seems to be a glitch in their system with online bookings.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by USCTrojan83
Delta has a weird issue where even though the KTN is in there, it doesn't print on boarding passes sometimes. Everytime this has happened to me (2 or 3 times now) the agent just deleted the number, re-entered it and it worked. Seems to be a glitch in their system with online bookings.
You mean PreCheck doesn't print? If that's the case, that's not a glitch, PreCheck is not supposed to be given 100% the time. However most of us find that once we put it in the system that we get it 100% of the time. Taking it out and reentering it, causes a re-send of the Secure Flight Data to TSA. Even though they didn't give you PreCheck the 1st time, there's nothing stopping them from giving it the second time data is sent.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You mean PreCheck doesn't print? If that's the case, that's not a glitch, PreCheck is not supposed to be given 100% the time. However most of us find that once we put it in the system that we get it 100% of the time. Taking it out and reentering it, causes a re-send of the Secure Flight Data to TSA. Even though they didn't give you PreCheck the 1st time, there's nothing stopping them from giving it the second time data is sent.
That could be the problem, but there have been a few times where the number was entered online but not saved.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond
I didn't have GE until very recently and my DH did. We were split up every time.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Just happened to me, the agent removed and added it, no go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.