Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Is TSA Pre guaranteed with Global Entry Known Travel Number?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Hello all -

First post, but long time reader.

I've used TSA Pre through the United Airlines TSA Pre Program and have grown frustrated that I don't always get TSA Pre. I finally applied for TSA Pre and just received my Known Traveler Number.

I know I'm doing this backwards, but I also applied for Global Entry recently (takes much longer and I travel domestically much more often than int'l). Even though Global Entry gets you TSA Pre with the GE KTN, the lady at the TSA Pre office told me that with the official TSA Pre KTN I'd get TSA Precheck almost 99% of the time.

She also told me that if I used the GE KTN that TSA Precheck is only given roughly 75% of the time. She said that it wasn't guaranteed since the KTN wasn't officially approved by TSA and I'd be selected for random "standard" security checks more frequently.

Is there any validity to this? She told me to always use the official TSA Pre KTN when flying domestically and to use the GE Pass ID when traveling internationally.

I'd love to hear everyones thoughts on this. Thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
This is the first I've heard of such a thing. On the surface I find it hard to believe that there are, as this is what is implied, different levels of KTN's. Since there is no PreCheck enrollment office in my city I'm enrolling in GE which is available locally and, in fact, my interview is tomorrow. Hopefully they won't laugh too hard but I'll ask about any difference.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: Status Free
Sounds like complete and utter bunk.

The vetting and investigation for GE is, I think, more stringent than TSA Pre. Add to that the fact that TSA has a horrible track record with employee background checks, I'd put more weight on GE.

My personal GE success rate with Precheck is 100%. I've had GE since March of 2012.

My understanding is that having a KTN via GE altogether eliminates the need to apply for TSA Pre. Waste of $85.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The TSA "lady" gave OP a line of b.s.

Both GE and TSA-Pre provide a KTN which should provide close to 100% pre-check (there is always an element of randomness. Thus, always a chance you won't get it).

It is a waste to get both GE and TSA-Pre.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up Thanks and "oh well"

Thanks for all the responses. With my GE interview not until December, and with 5 more domestic trips before then, the $85 is worth the headache of not having TSA Pre during those trips.

I guess I did my good deed and donated to the TSA Pre revenue foundation.

Anyone have experience in just showing up to GE offices and hoping they can fit you in when you don't have a scheduled appointment? Might be worth a try given the long wait time.

I've already checked the cities that I'm traveling to and they are similarly delayed.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Not sure what the TSA lady was smoking, but I've been 100% with PreCheck using my GE # since the program started in 2011. The only misses were for flights before they would let PreCheck happen on international flights.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Using my NEXUS KTN, I have only not received PreCheck once.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by dlw81
Thanks for all the responses. With my GE interview not until December, and with 5 more domestic trips before then, the $85 is worth the headache of not having TSA Pre during those trips.

I guess I did my good deed and donated to the TSA Pre revenue foundation.

Anyone have experience in just showing up to GE offices and hoping they can fit you in when you don't have a scheduled appointment? Might be worth a try given the long wait time.

I've already checked the cities that I'm traveling to and they are similarly delayed.
At BOS you sit outside the door and there's a sign saying your shouldn't knock or try to come in, that the door is alarmed. They come out and call people by name, so I don't think you'd have a lot of luck just showing up.
What you should try is checking the GOES website early in the morning every day. I moved my appointment from November to July by snagging a random open spot a week out.

Good luck!

Last edited by chaoticorder; Aug 15, 2014 at 2:34 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1
The TSA "lady" gave OP a line of b.s.

Both GE and TSA-Pre provide a KTN which should provide close to 100% pre-check (there is always an element of randomness. Thus, always a chance you won't get it).

It is a waste to get both GE and TSA-Pre.
Indeed. Indeed. Indeed.

But even without some element of "randomness", there is a chance for a paid GE or paid PreCheck member to not get PreCheck LLL on a boarding pass issued by a participating airline for a flight at a PreCheck-enabled airport. Some GE or PreCheck members even get haraSSSSment treatment despite being current GE or PreCheck members.

Every GE or PreCheck member I know has been batting PreCheck LLL at least 90+% and there seems to be little to no difference in outcomes for people who have flown several dozen flights with the KTN in the record prior to check-in for applicable flights.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Despite having a NEXUS/GE KTN, I was denied PreCheck for approximately 2 years.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum

I agree that the OP was given a line of BS. I was part of the original AA DFW pilot and had a marginal success rate until I joined GE a couple of months later. Since then, I've had 100% success rate. I fear; however that may soon change for me. I was involved in a little "incident" (not travel related) that is officially pending conviction, but is on it's way to being dismissed in the next several months. I was afraid this was going to affect my pre check but was thankful to learn that it didn't. However; I had my first international trip since the incident recently and when I went through GE and got the dreded X and was informed my GE was going to be suspended, but when I get my judgement I should take the judgement back to the GE office to have it reinstated. I asked the CBP agent if this would affect my precheck (I care more about that because I'm not traveling internationally again for awhile) and he said no. What do you all think? I'm afraid I may lose my precheck too since my KTN is tainted now :-( Also of note, I got an email a week later about a change in my GOES status and when I logged in to GOES it shows the status as "revoked" with very generic verbiage as to why. I have my first domestic trip since the news about my GE om Monday - fingers crossed ...
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:53 am

Just got done with my GE interview. Took a whole five minutes. No questions and no other document asked for other than my passport. So photo and finger print scan and I was out of there. I did ask if there was a difference in the PreCheck amongst the programs and he said absolutely none. My wife asked, since she has her KTN by being a DoD employee, if her KTN would or could be exported to GE if she applied. He said no, that while the DOD generated KTN was fine and good for PreCheck she'd get a different KTN from GE. She's thinking about applying for GE because of our increased overseas travel and basically ignoring her DoD provided KTN.

Last edited by Randyk47; Aug 16, 2014 at 1:43 pm
Old Aug 16, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I only have Precheck via United. Since I got things straightened out with my Concur info, I've had about 40 trips through security. I've had Precheck all but one time, and that was at FLL where they seem to have Precheck issues all the time.

If you're a domestic-only flyer, I think the only reason to pay for Precheck is if you spread your travel across a lot of airlines and you don't get "free" Precheck from one or more of those airlines. If you're like me and only travel on one airline, and they're hooking you up, I doubt if there's any advantage at all in paying for Precheck.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by catocony
I only have Precheck via United. Since I got things straightened out with my Concur info, I've had about 40 trips through security. I've had Precheck all but one time, and that was at FLL where they seem to have Precheck issues all the time.

If you're a domestic-only flyer, I think the only reason to pay for Precheck is if you spread your travel across a lot of airlines and you don't get "free" Precheck from one or more of those airlines. If you're like me and only travel on one airline, and they're hooking you up, I doubt if there's any advantage at all in paying for Precheck.
I only had it via AA advanced FF status. New work requires more DL flights and we're traveling overseas more now for our vacations so GE seemed to fit the bill. Helped that there was a GE enrollment office but no PreCheck office. Cost $15 more but that was less than the gas for a 200 mile round trip to closest PreCheck office.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 3:55 pm

With Nexus/GE KTN I have never once had TSA Pre, although other travellers with me, who do not have KTN have got TSA Pre. Whenever I ask, they tell me its just random...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.