Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Global Entry kiosks typically ask a yes/no question about whether you are bringing "food" into the country. The question is broader than on the deprecated blue form that asked about fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.

CBP answers the question of whether you must declare all "food" on its website:

CBP expects declaration to be made even if not asked by kiosk or explicitly asked by CBP officer
Link to TTP Interview guidance letter - Thanks hourglass

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S.

You may be able to bring in food such as fruits, meats or other agricultural products depending on the region or country from which you are traveling.
General consensus is that the best practice is to declare any "food", include candies, cookies, snacks, etc. and then inform the CBP agent about your food. Experience has been that in nearly all cases the agent will wave you through with extremely minimal delay. As explained elsewhere, the primary focus of the question is to prevent importation of fruits, vegetable, and meats that could cause harm to the American food supply, but it is safest to allow the CBP agent to make the determination.

There is some debate as to whether items one can ingest for non-nutritive reasons (e.g., gum, toothpaste, medicine) should qualify as food. There does not appear to be an answer from CBP or experience showing the proper categorization of such items.

Print Wikipost

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:15 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by flyquiet
I actually don't talk to anybody. I have read a few posts saying since the YYZ TB changes you talk to somebody. I get the ticket out of the GE machine and walk to the guy and hand it over and don't even stop. He's usually talking to the other guy (coworker) and just collecting cards. The GE machines still bypass all the other guys. If I am doing it wrong, nobody has chased me down yet.
In many airports, preclearance and otherwise, that guy collecting ticket asks random questions to verify answers. But often it does not happen so you are not doing it wrong.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by flyquiet
I actually don't talk to anybody. I have read a few posts saying since the YYZ TB changes you talk to somebody. I get the ticket out of the GE machine and walk to the guy and hand it over and don't even stop. He's usually talking to the other guy (coworker) and just collecting cards. The GE machines still bypass all the other guys. If I am doing it wrong, nobody has chased me down yet.
Most people seem to be reporting that after the GE kiosk, they have to speak to an _immigration_ officer (sitting behind a podium, has a computer, etc). I've not been through YYZ in a while (certainly not since the recent-ish changes), but when I did the transfer-preclearance had a GE lane, that forced you to speak to an immigration officer (I had an X though, but even non-X's had to wait in the same line). This was followed by customs (a few guys standing at the exit, generally chatting, no computers, desks, or podiums).

It seems like you didn't have to stop at immigration desks (which is how it seems to work in the US), maybe that's a permanent improvement?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Yes, when I had an X, there was a desk that all the Xs and Os went to (in the previous layout, and probably now). The regular photo cards you just waltz to the card collector who doesn't want to slow down the parade. I just make sure I hand the card facing toward him so he can read it and inform me if he wants to have a word because once I've passed by, he's going to have to tackle me over my shoulder if he wants anything, since I am not going to hear him saying "hey, you."
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:08 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again. When it comes to food and US CBP especially for those enrolled in trusted traveler programs when in doubt DECLARE IT. In the worst case you may get sent to secondary where a grumpy officer hollers at you for wasting their time. If you don't declare it and you meet said grumpy officer you may end up being fined or even losing your trusted travel status.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
I've said it before and I'll say it again. When it comes to food and US CBP especially for those enrolled in trusted traveler programs when in doubt DECLARE IT. In the worst case you may get sent to secondary where a grumpy officer hollers at you for wasting their time. If you don't declare it and you meet said grumpy officer you may end up being fined or even losing your trusted travel status.
Well said!
Old Aug 26, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
I'm sticking with LtKernellPanic's advice... LAX has been pretty easy when declaring. Last trip, I had food (tea, candy) and had also gone over my $ limit. Still used the fast lanes.

"What food"? Tea and candy.
"What did you buy?" Personal jewelry and clothes.
"Have a nice day."
Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:37 pm

I've always come home from the Netherlands with cheese and chocolate... I've used the GE kiosks and have answered "Yes" to the quasi-food question. Sure, the officer will ask, "What food are you bringing?" as I'm walking out, but a simple "cheese and choloates" is met with, "Have a great day." I'd rather be safe than under-declare, especially when my GE is involved.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: GE
Country of departure probably has a lot to do with how they respond. I always declare food, explain what I have (all permitted items), and get waved through in 30 seconds. But I'm departing from Canada or Northern Europe.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by bbtrvl
Country of departure probably has a lot to do with how they respond. I always declare food, explain what I have (all permitted items), and get waved through in 30 seconds. But I'm departing from Canada or Northern Europe.
It's what you declare, where you've been, and who the officer is

Middle East visit, figs, and FRA transit: bag scan. Italy and truffles: bag scan. Tokyo and arare into Honolulu: Welcome home.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by 747FC
It's what you declare, where you've been, and who the officer is

Middle East visit, figs, and FRA transit: bag scan. Italy and truffles: bag scan. Tokyo and arare into Honolulu: Welcome home.
And probably also your appearance, and accent - harder to test those though.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 4:59 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by TWA884
That depends on the exact phrasing of the question. If the kiosk asks about food, in addition to or instead of listing specific agricultural products, my answer will be yes.
This morning in Los Angeles, the Global Entry kiosk specifically queried about food in addition to fruits, vegetables, plants, seeds and insects. It's the first time that I recall seeing "food" itemized in that particular question. I had none with me, so there was no need to interact with a CBP officer.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
As far as I know it has been like that for over 1 year. It could be longer but it is hidden among fruit etc so easy to miss.
Originally Posted by TWA884
This morning in Los Angeles, the Global Entry kiosk specifically queried about food in addition to fruits, vegetables, plants, seeds and insects. It's the first time that I recall seeing "food" itemized in that particular question. I had none with me, so there was no need to interact with a CBP officer.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 5:47 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
The word "food" has been buried in the GE question for more than a year (probably even close to two years). Personally seen it at JFK/MIA/YUL/YYZ.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
It's just as well, really.

If an agent does grumble at me for declaring chocolates, I can honestly say the kiosk question specified 'food'.

It's easier than explaining to an agent who is wasting his/my time complaining that I am wasting his/my time by following the rules as explained to me by another agent. The couple times it has happened to me, the agent didn't like it when I said it was what I was told to do. It's easier to criticize what an anonymous faceless agent told me than to argue that I shouldn't answer the question on the kiosk honestly.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by chollie
If an agent does grumble at me for declaring chocolates, I can honestly say the kiosk question specified 'food'.
I've come back in with food (something as benign as candy) and selected yes many times since the question changed to be the catch all phrase with the word food. Personally, I've not had any issues with CBP grumbling that I declared candy. The vast majority of the times it's met with a "Thanks!" or "Welcome back!" Once or twice it's been a quick pass through the x-ray with a "Thanks!"

My preference, of course, would be to revert to the old, more specific, wording.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.