Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Global Entry kiosks typically ask a yes/no question about whether you are bringing "food" into the country. The question is broader than on the deprecated blue form that asked about fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.

CBP answers the question of whether you must declare all "food" on its website:

CBP expects declaration to be made even if not asked by kiosk or explicitly asked by CBP officer
Link to TTP Interview guidance letter - Thanks hourglass

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S.

You may be able to bring in food such as fruits, meats or other agricultural products depending on the region or country from which you are traveling.
General consensus is that the best practice is to declare any "food", include candies, cookies, snacks, etc. and then inform the CBP agent about your food. Experience has been that in nearly all cases the agent will wave you through with extremely minimal delay. As explained elsewhere, the primary focus of the question is to prevent importation of fruits, vegetable, and meats that could cause harm to the American food supply, but it is safest to allow the CBP agent to make the determination.

There is some debate as to whether items one can ingest for non-nutritive reasons (e.g., gum, toothpaste, medicine) should qualify as food. There does not appear to be an answer from CBP or experience showing the proper categorization of such items.

Print Wikipost

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2016, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by bbtrvl
I always declare I have food and get the circle. No one's ever gotten upset. They ask if I have meat (I never do) and if necessary I will also add I have no impermissible or dutiable items (I don't ever bring back alcohol or anything questionable) which is good enough to get me through.

The whole point of GE is that we have promised to always make accurate declarations and CBP trusts us enough to accept those declarations more quickly.

Also, who gets off an international flight and has NO food on them at all? Not even some candy or a granola bar?
(bolding mine)

Please review post #72.

Trusted travelers are held to a higher standard than ordinary pax, precisely because they are trusted to follow the rules exactly. The rules I cited, repeated to many folks at GE interviews, make it clear that the issue is not whether or not you think/know that something is allowed. The issue is that you must declare it.

It's not about the item(s), it's all about the declaration. Some frontline agents get grumpy, but IMHO, if they don't like the rules, they need to take it up with their higher-ups.

The risk of losing GE because you failed to declare chocolates is probably pretty small, but it is not zero and the rules are absolutely clear (even if annoying).
Old May 9, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Why the strict time limit?
Old May 9, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chollie
Trusted travelers are held to a higher standard than ordinary pax, precisely because they are trusted to follow the rules exactly. The rules I cited, repeated to many folks at GE interviews, make it clear that the issue is not whether or not you think/know that something is allowed. The issue is that you must declare it.
Last few times I went through, my GE kiosk question was very explicit about the types of food I had to declare, so I didn't declare chocolate and tea. I follow the rules 100% and have been paranoid about messing up something simple like this so I read the screen super carefully and think I got it right.

I find no issues when I declare something, btw, but I did get an eyeroll and a "we don't care" once for candy. Last trip I was over the $800... got to the desk and he asked me what I had purchased, I told him, he said "thanks, bye!" and turned to the next person.

Last edited by abaheti; May 9, 2016 at 11:47 am
Old May 9, 2016, 11:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Was told at my interview to only declare 'food' - sweets are not food.
Old May 9, 2016, 11:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
If in doubt call an interview location and ask any questions - they will help.
Old May 10, 2016, 6:35 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Smile

I declared candy and some hermetically sealed spreads entering EWR yesterday. The official told me those were fine to bring in, but that I did the right thing declaring them. Glad to get that reinforcement instead of an eyeroll..^
Old May 10, 2016, 6:37 pm

Doesn't quite look like it from the reflection of the face in the screen, but I did wonder how on earth the poster got the photo. I think CBP makes it abundantly clear that no cameras (or phones) can be used until the pax has completely cleared immigration and customs and left the area.
Which must make it rather hard to use the mobile passport app
Old Jun 10, 2016, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txviking
Which must make it rather hard to use the mobile passport app
+1
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:02 pm

The FOOD question is so annoying because CBP officers differ in their definition of food.

I always answer Yes to the food question.

This month, I went through LAX. The customs officer looked at my receipt with the big O and told me to go to B. The customs officer at B asked "what brought you (a GE) here?" I showed him photos of my honey and 1 chocolate bar. He said I should have answered No. I pointed out that the question included "food".

He said even if I bring a banana that was served in the plane, it's ok and I should answer No. I said that contradicts what other CBP people say. I pointed out that some CBP officers are very strict and define food as anything that you put in your mouth. At this point, the CBP guy talks smarty pants and says he puts his pen in his mouth. Ha ha ha.

Enihu. He let me go without opening my luggages and told me that he appreciated my honesty.

I wish CBP officers would be consistent and that the Food question is more specific.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by madraida
The FOOD question is so annoying because CBP officers differ in their definition of food.

I always answer Yes to the food question.

This month, I went through LAX. The customs officer looked at my receipt with the big O and told me to go to B. The customs officer at B asked "what brought you (a GE) here?" I showed him photos of my honey and 1 chocolate bar. He said I should have answered No. I pointed out that the question included "food".

He said even if I bring a banana that was served in the plane, it's ok and I should answer No. I said that contradicts what other CBP people say. I pointed out that some CBP officers are very strict and define food as anything that you put in your mouth. At this point, the CBP guy talks smarty pants and says he puts his pen in his mouth. Ha ha ha.

Enihu. He let me go without opening my luggages and told me that he appreciated my honesty.

I wish CBP officers would be consistent and that the Food question is more specific.
I agree 100% with you.

Over 10 years ago I bought some beef jerky at Walmart. I took it to Japan with me in my carry on and then it was with me when I returned. I thought it was processed and didn't matter and met with a very nice beagle. My Customs form was checked and I had to go through further screening. I was not fined. Ironically -they could care less about my dried apricots.

I recently applied for GE. I quickly filled out the form and had marked "no" for a customs violation and then later got on these boards and was scared and realized I should have explained this.

So my interview was recently. The officer asked if I have ever broken the law or been arrested and I said "no". I then expected him to say "have you ever been in violation of customs" and I planned on telling the truth and apologizing for my oversight when filling out the application as I had forgotten about that. He never asked that.

He did proceed to stress that I should never answer "no to all" and even if I am questioning if my answer is no or yes about bringing something in, to ALWAYS mark "yes" as it is better to ask then assume wrongly. This was strongly stressed and I felt like he was referring to my jerky incident. He proceeded to tell me if I am caught with something with out disclosing it, I would be banned for life from GE. He was very firm about this.

I am now as honest as you are. I used to travel with my Mom and Seeing Eye dog. I would declare the dog as a live animal and would declare the dog food and dog treats as meat products. The Customs people also looked at me funny when I declared that.

I wish I had remembered the jerky incident when filling out the form and had disclosed that. Thankfully they figured out I had learned my lesson. One of the pamphlets they gave me mentioned meat both processed and not as being prohibited and specifically mentions jerky.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:29 am

I realize some of this has been talked about upthread, but let me just vent.

We got GE (Nexus), primarily because I got tired of being sent to agriculture every time we declare food on arrival. We go to Jpn and HKG few times a year and, of course, we always bring back some type of food. Who doesn't?!

Before we got GE, most of the time we'd declare food and would invariably be sent to the x-rays. Sometimes I didn't declare and then I'm invariably waved through.

We've done a couple trips now since getting GE. There was wishful thinking on my part that, with GE, I'd be able to declare food with my head held high and still be waved through because, well, I'm a "trusted traveller." Wrong. Sent to agriculture both times, even though I told the customs guy I just had snacks, tea and coffee and didn't have any of the banned items. Only x-rays each time, but that took almost 10min at SFO the last time.

Let's face it, in the past, no one lost sleep worrying about forgetting to declare a granola bar. Anyone with GE, however, faced revocation of GE (and possibly NEXUS) if caught.
This. There's high price to pay for not declaring food with GE. So I won't dare not declare food, even if it's just snacks. <redacted by moderator>

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 29, 2016 at 8:46 am Reason: Policy debate, not trusted traveler practical advice/information
Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by evergrn
I realize some of this has been talked about upthread, but let me just vent.

We got GE (Nexus), primarily because I got tired of being sent to agriculture every time we declare food on arrival. We go to Jpn and HKG few times a year and, of course, we always bring back some type of food. Who doesn't?!

Before we got GE, most of the time we'd declare food and would invariably be sent to the x-rays. Sometimes I didn't declare and then I'm invariably waved through.

We've done a couple trips now since getting GE. There was wishful thinking on my part that, with GE, I'd be able to declare food with my head held high and still be waved through because, well, I'm a "trusted traveller." Wrong. Sent to agriculture both times, even though I told the customs guy I just had snacks, tea and coffee and didn't have any of the banned items. Only x-rays each time, but that took almost 10min at SFO the last time.

This. There's high price to pay for not declaring food with GE. So I won't dare not declare food, even if it's just snacks. <redacted by moderator>
Not sure when you applied for GE but if you had seen this thread, you would realize it does not get your around food declaration. Nor does it get you around currency declaration either.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
if you had seen this thread, you would realize it does not get your around food declaration.
I did not. Lesson learned.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:55 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Just wondering: what kinds of experiences do people have when they declare food, and then also get an X (e.g. for fingerprint/admissibility/other reasons)? Does the immigration officer ever ask you about food? Does the customs officer ever ask you anything?

(I ask, because the GE receipt prints either an O, X, or nothing - but not both O and X in my experience. And the X override the O for obvious reasons since you're not admitted yet.)
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Went through EWR last Saturday. First, we saved a ton of time at immigration using the GE kiosks, only to be one of the last people to get our luggage.

The beagle even stopped us while we were waiting since I was carrying a lot of food for Miss Swede. I told the CBP agent everything I had, showed her the foods in my carry-on (I left all inadmissible foods that Miss Swede couldn't finish back on the plane--which is what the beagle probably smelled), and she thanked me and went on her way.

Of course, I declared I had food at the kiosk, and we both got the circles on our receipts.

When we went through the GE line at Customs, the conversation took place...

CBP Agent: What kind of foods are you declaring?
Me: Chocolates, tea, candy, pasta, Swedish pancakes, vegan cheeses, granola bars, soy yogurt, vegan sha--
CBP Agent (interrupting and sounding annoyed): Bye-bye.

And we were off...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.