Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry for land crossing to/from Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry for land crossing to/from Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2016, 1:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I know what is being asked. GE card is good for entering Canada. You however can not use the Nexus lane entering Canada with a GE card. Do you really think they would take a drivers license, but not a GE card?

WHTI is the name used for the agreements between several countries. It allows for IDS other than passports to be used at non-airport border crossings.
Do you have references of such agreements with any foreign country? Everything I came across regarding WHTI suggest this only covers entry into US (despite what the name suggest) by citizens of US/Canada/Mexico/Bermuda coming in from Western Hemisphere.

Originally Posted by TWA884
Exactly so.

They accept passports, NEXUS cards, SENTRI cards, FAST (Free and Secure Trade) cards and enhanced driver's licences.

For more information:
All the links provided refer to entry into US. Not one mention anything about entry into Canada (using GE).

Guide for Transporters makes no mention of GE as valid document for entry into Canada. You can enter Canada by land using various documents such as passport/US passport card/EDL/green card/NEXUS (to name a few). GE is not one of them.

Last edited by seawolf; Oct 21, 2016 at 9:08 pm
Old Oct 22, 2016, 4:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by flyerCO

WHTI is the name used for the agreements between several countries. It allows for IDS other than passports to be used at non-airport border crossings.
WHTI is not the name used for agreements between several countries, or at least it wasn't when the final rules for initial WHTI implementation took place. Last I cared to check WHTI was just the US setting up its own rules for travel across the US border and wasn't legally binding upon any sovereign states beyond those states' prior commitments to only facilitate travel to the US under the conditions of entry deemed acceptable by the US. I am saying this even as I'm well aware that over 40% of the binding agreements foreign countries have with the US on file with the US are not available to the "<public>", American or not. <redacted>

In other words, even after the US implemented WHTI, I could still enter Canada with just my regular US state driver's license and US state birth certificate -- even if I've just flown into Canada. And I still do when I drive north. That kind of repeated outcome is evidence enough to enough people that Canada doesn't have all the same requirements as the US has set up with the US's WHTI.

Also, I've had more trouble having my US passport card and GE card accepted by Canada for entry at Canadian airports than I've had with my regular US state driving license and accompanying raised-seal US state birth certificate being accepted by Canada for entry at Canadian airports. That said, this is how it went still as of at the start of this month.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 22, 2016 at 9:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.