Wiki Posts
Search

My Journey to Every Country in the World

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2016, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
You don't need 3 houses, so it's better to spend the money on planes, hotels and restaurants��

Last edited by offerendum; Sep 25, 2016 at 2:47 pm
Old Sep 24, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hauteboy
All my travel is self-funded. I don't have my own website. All my travel has been on vacation time, I've been at the same job since 1993. Cost wise, well that's up to your travel style. I definitely could have bought a house or three for what I've spent over the years. I tend to be middle-range (flashpacker) style with occasional splurges (cruises). Most of my flights are in econ. I'll stay at Hilton, Sheraton, etc, but usually on points. Otherwise, I tend to go for cheaper hotels/pensions. Getting a bit old for top-bunk in hostels and there aren't any in the countries I've traveled to lately anyway.

Took me ~18 years to go from 10 countries (age 26) to 197 (before 45th birthday).

It helps to pick logical regions of countries and use open-jaw tickets to different cities. Central Asia, Caucasus, Guianas, West Africa, etc.
Excellent, thanks for the info. I too tend to stay in cheaper hotels or Airbnbs but for the most part, I've avoided hostels. I can definitely see this being very expensive (as you've mentioned). Thankfully, I've been in the miles/points game for a few years now which helps fund the more difficult flights. The only downside is I've always chosen to fly J or F on those awards so if I truly want to visit all or most of the countries I'm going to have to be more realistic and start looking at economy. I don't have an issue with economy, don't get me wrong, but most of my current trips are 3-4 days at the destination. Economy gets a little hairy with that short of a turn.

Originally Posted by Tychian
My style is quite similar to Haute's; ditto timing. Took me close to 20 years, but that's partly because I didn't initially plan to go to every nation, it sort of evolved as I traveled (I've always liked seeing new places).

Once I realized I did want to visit every nation, I set a goal of 10 new nations a year; I wouldn't always hit it, but one year would be, say, 8-9, another 11 or 12. It worked well.

Clustering regionally (as Haute suggests) is super useful in terms of time-efficiency. I also very strongly prefer to travel overland between nations when I can - you see so much more that way, but it sometimes comes at a cost in terms of time-on-the-road and comfort (in rural Africa, for example). But the payoff is seeing more, and interacting much more deeply with local folks. Some of my most interesting experiences have been taking local transport overland in Africa or Asia.

West Africa clusters pretty well, by the way: you would have some options from Senegal, and the idea of doing an open jaw from ACC is very sound. Given time constraints and other factors (such as the difficulty of traversing western Cote d'Ivoire) you'd have to fly some in between, but ASKY and Royal Air Maroc have some flights that could let you do that fairly affordably. You might consider something like Senegal/Gambia then Ghana/Togo/Benin - those are all fairly easy places (as Africa goes) and at least as of this moment, fairly stable. I think. And they offer a lot to see - Senegal and Togo (voodoo country, notably) are especially fascinating places.
Alone is not so bad - I've traveled solo for much of my own journey, but that's partly due to the fast pace I set and partly due to the costs involved - I may have a free ticket, but my friends usually do not. I'm also very comfortable solo, many are not. You also tend to meet more people solo, and engage differently.

Overall I had two major issues in terms of reaching my goal:
1) Initially, money was a big problem. I don't get any revenue from my travel, so it's all expenditure. I do travel some for work, and so over time I amassed miles and hotel points, which helped a lot. I also traveled cheaply, usually eating 1 meal a day after a free breakfast wherever I was staying.
Over time, as I got older and made more money (and had more points), this became easier. I could never have afforded the insane Pacific island ticket prices in my 20s/early 30s, but later on, it was manageable. Ditto Africa, which tends to be expensive to reach and the cities, expensive to stay in. So I went to places where I could reach and stay more affordably - much of Europe, Latin America, parts of Asia.

2) Time. I'm an American, and while I get a lot of vacation for an American (4 weeks plus a few holidays; I'd always travel to maximize those holidays), that's not much when you consider it could take 2 days to reach somewhere flying, and then take time traveling to/from the 'cluster' of nations I plan for that trip. So, I've often had to rush trips, and spend less time than I wanted, though I tried to compensate by immersing as much as I could when somewhere and not spending much time in the hotel, sleeping, etc. But I consoled myself by saying that I would go back to the places I loved, and that some experience in a place, was better than none. Now that I've met my goal, I've been doing those promised returns, and loving it.

Finally, someone else mentioned the sacrifices this kind of travel demands. There are plenty: the last 5-6 years of my goal, I mostly only went where I had not been so I could drive harder to my goal (I accelerated after Syria descended into Hell - I was worried that other places would follow, as indeed they have), and many of those places were difficult places - rewarding in many ways, but not necc. comfortable. The grand champion of the discomfort sweepstakes was probably the time spent dodging Ebola - I had just arrived in Liberia when Guinea announced their outbreak and I traveled overland on public transport from there onward into and then through Sierra Leone - but I also got very sick of roasting in humid jungles.
And then there is always the 'you must work for the CIA, why else would you go to Afghanistan' from my friends, or my mom freaking every time I'd go somewhere, or the heat I'd take for not doing any vacation trips with my SO (since I'd used my vaca time on these trips).

This passion to see the world that so many of us share is wonderful - we have seen and done so much, learned so much - but it comes at a cost that is not just financial.
10 a year is certainly doable for me, albeit slightly for difficult being based on the US, especially considering that I don't have many left in NA/SA. Not clustering is something I've certainly regretted so far. I always end up asking myself; What if my vacation time changes drastically next year and this whole game ends or gets suspended indefinitely? What if I get married and have kids? What if my financial situation changes and this becomes less reachable? I always ask these questions when determining if I want to visit a country just to say I have (in the same area) vs traveling slightly further to visit somewhere I've had a real desire to visit. I suppose a good example is a trip next year that is starting to take shape. I'll have 18 days total travel time, about 7 of which I'm planning to spend in India (I work with some people based in Mumbai so I'm basically looking at free tour guides). If I clustered nations those last few days I could probably knock a few out, Nepal, Bhutan, Myanmar, etc. But... I've always been interested in Ethiopia and the mileage ticket I'm going to book with Aeroplan allows a stopover there India-EU so I've thought about taking advantage of that.

In response to your other excellent points:
1. I can safely say that money is an issue right now as well. I get by just fine and fund all my travel (and all of my expenses which admittedly many my age cannot say). In all honesty, I hadn't looked much into Africa before this decision to expand my travels so I wasn't aware of the costs, I always imagined it was relatively cheap like most of SE Asia (just expensive to get to). Based on that I'm considering suspending the West Africa trip until I can visit with more money and spending my immediate future going places without having to be stingy with everything I eat, see and do.

I do most of my traveling alone but most of that has been to the developed world. I'm sure once I make my first trip solo to a developing nation that I'll be fine from there on out.

2. I too maximize the holidays, usually 7/10 of them. I typically stay home for Christmas and Thanksgiving, then one of them I count on me canceling a trip due to being sick, having work to do (still in college), money, full flights, etc. I too get 4 weeks of vacation, which is good for an American, especially one my age. The only issue is that is not changing anytime soon unless I move up a very large amount in the next few years. The gap between roles with 4 weeks and 5 weeks is substantial.

I'll keep you all up to date on how I'm progressing and who knows, maybe 15-20 years from now I can return to this very same thread assuming FT is still active of course, and announcing that I've completed the goal!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Turkish Gold, Copa Platinum, airberlin Gold
Re:"In all honesty, I hadn't looked much into Africa before this decision to expand my travels so I wasn't aware of the costs, I always imagined it was relatively cheap like most of SE Asia (just expensive to get to). Based on that I'm considering suspending the West Africa trip until I can visit with more money and spending my immediate future going places without having to be stingy with everything I eat, see and do."

I think that's prudent & it's definitely what I did.
But it does depend. There are ways to travel cheaply in Africa, but it's relative and no where near the levels in SE Asia.
African capitals are usually crazy expensive (usually) for hotels, much less so for food.
If you take local transport to travel around, that's super cheap (and super time consuming), and staying in villages can be very cheap, depending on your comfort level - such as staying in a local home in places where that's an option. There are also often cheap options meant for locals that can work out, on busier land routes away from the capitals.

But Africa is a massive continent and things vary - you'll just want to do your research on costs, options, etc, before going.
Check Daniel's report on Nyiragongo volcano in the DRC for some inspiration BTW - that was an amazing experience!
Old Nov 19, 2016, 9:07 am

Luckily no issues getting a visa for Eritrea and just checked off country #100.
http://www.dsw-photo.com/Travel/A-Trip-To-Eritrea

A sobering article on the war in Yemen, and how the strategy now seems to be to devastate the country by destroying the civilian infrastructure. The journalist also says that as there are no longer any commercial flights into country, he had to hitch a ride on an UN aid flight into Sanaa. He also had to get a visa from the Houthi rebel authorities:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/14/wo...is-hunger.html

A lady on track to visit every country in the world in record time. Quite a few tougher ones to go though: http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...-a7422721.html
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I'm in the process of planning a weeklong trip to URC/KHG/ASB/MYP in March/April. If anyone's interested in being my travel buddy, please shoot me a PM. When my Turkmen visa was denied this year, the agent advised that multiple people traveling together typically have better luck..
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Turkish Gold, Copa Platinum, airberlin Gold
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I'm in the process of planning a weeklong trip to URC/KHG/ASB/MYP in March/April. If anyone's interested in being my travel buddy, please shoot me a PM. When my Turkmen visa was denied this year, the agent advised that multiple people traveling together typically have better luck..
I was denied twice for my Turkmen visa.
I was using an Uzbek agency for those two applications; when I applied the third time, I used a Turkmen agency, and was approved.
All 3 cases were me traveling solo.

The only other change was to my profession - I'd written my actual title on the first two applications, but changed it to "software engineer" (my job group) on the third. I suspect the former factor had much more bearing, but wanted to note in case it helps you.

It also could have been utterly random. But my experience of places like that is that connections matter.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.